Recommend A Tweed Amp For Me

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
I've got the itch for another tweed amp to compliment my Tungsten Crema Wheat. Just seeking some input from guys using some of the mid wattage tweeds in the wild. Because I have the Crema Wheat I'm not too interested in a straight up 5E3 as I get all the grind I want so I think I'm more interested in some fixed bias type amps with higher headroom for cleans and gritty cleans with still a lot of of rich harmonic content. Mostly playing at home these days and have a bigger blackface amp for when I jam out. Mostly strat/tele with occasional 335 player. Short list candidates from small to big but I'm open to anything:

Victoria Ivy League - loud/clean enough?

Victoria Chicago Lux 5F11 clone - http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...oria-chicagolux-limited-edition-cme-exclusive Basically a Tweed Harvard with trem - this one tempts me a lot, but again loud enough?

Tweed Super 2x10 - probably the right amp for me

Tweed Pro - 15" speaker is an unknown

Tungsten Buckwheat

Double Deluxe - probably too big, loud, and dirty but it is intriguing.

I'm not too interested in a bassman or tweed twin - too much amp.

Let's hear some suggestions!

Schroedinger

I don't think a Bassman is too much amp, and meets your description otherwise. The Jensen alnico's are pretty inefficient, and it breaks up relatively early. Very harmonically rich. I had a '59 LTD RI, and I don't think it was any louder than my blackface Deluxe Reverb through a Greenback. Certainly gave up the goods a lot sooner.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
The 5F4 Super has portability going for it. In my opinion, a 15" speaker doesn't work out well, either in tweed (Pro) or BF. It felt like too much of the energy was going into producing acoustic power in the lows and low mids, which only served to muddy things up in a gig environment.
The "three sisters": the Pro, Super, and Bandmaster tweeds are very similar schematically so it mostly comes down to speaker choice (2 x10" vs 3 x 10" vs 1 x 15"), and what tubes you load it with.
A 5F4 or 5E7 Bandmaster would be nice choices. 12AY7 for V1, and if you want to keep it cleaner, do as the 5E5-A and load a 12AY7 for V2 also...

Dumb Bell

The earlier tweed pro is about 25 or so watts. I have access to a '53. With all due respect to the later tweed supers, bassmans and the like which i also have close at hand the pro just sounds more organic and rich. Try one.

billyguitar

Right now my fave is a big box Tweed Tremolux. It cuts better than a 5E3. The Super is an excellent choice too. It's very Bassman-like in some ways.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
If you're looking for cleaner in the low watt area, consider the EC Tremolux. Not really a tremolux. Doesn't seem very tweed deluxe either. Cleaner. Fixed bias, ceramic speaker. It's a beautiful sounding amp.

The tweed bassman is a lot of amp, but it's also one of the best sounding amps (IMO) ever made. Amazing cleans, which slide into very tasty overdrive. Probably my favorite tweed. For lighter, a little smaller, not as loud, I'd go with a tweed pro. It's a taste thing with 15" speakers. They are very much to my taste.
MD

l80241

I've gone through the tweed search in the last few years and had a variety of clones. They were all awesome in their own way. Here's my take:

I had the Ivy league and it was cool, but not much clean headroom. Overall, I liked the deluxe better.

Bassman clone was gorgeous sounding but SO loud to get natural breakup. Plus, I had a 67 Super reverb as well and with the tone controls they were a little too similar for me, both 6L6, both 4x10.

Then I had a Clark Tyger (tweed bandmaster) and it was better than all the rest for me. Cleans swirled and made me smile every time I plugged in even if it was never quite 100% clean, just awesome. It could get loud, but I could get crunch going at much much lower volumes and it had the built in attenuator but I didn't need to use it much . It was pretty heavy but otherwise, just all around great. I imagine the super or pro variants would be similar and perfect for what you're after, so pick the speaker layout you like best and you're done.

gmann

I've got the itch for another tweed amp to compliment my Tungsten Crema Wheat. Just seeking some input from guys using some of the mid wattage tweeds in the wild. Because I have the Crema Wheat I'm not too interested in a straight up 5E3 as I get all the grind I want so I think I'm more interested in some fixed bias type amps with higher headroom for cleans and gritty cleans with still a lot of of rich harmonic content. Mostly playing at home these days and have a bigger blackface amp for when I jam out. Mostly strat/tele with occasional 335 player. Short list candidates from small to big but I'm open to anything:

Victoria Ivy League - loud/clean enough?

Victoria Chicago Lux 5F11 clone - http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...oria-chicagolux-limited-edition-cme-exclusive Basically a Tweed Harvard with trem - this one tempts me a lot, but again loud enough?

Tweed Super 2x10 - probably the right amp for me

Tweed Pro - 15" speaker is an unknown

Tungsten Buckwheat

Double Deluxe - probably too big, loud, and dirty but it is intriguing.

I'm not too interested in a bassman or tweed twin - too much amp.

Let's hear some suggestions!
I had a Victoria Double Deluxe for awhile. It was a V front cab and it had 2X10's so it wasn't too big. Great sound, easy to dial in. I've also had a Victoria Bandmaster and a Pro. The Pro had a Weber ceramic in it. I didn't like it with the alnico. I've never had a tweed Super but I've always thought it might be the perfect tweed amp tho.

Harryq

I've got a 1959 Fender Vibrolux with Mercury Magnetics transformers. I much prefer the sound of this amp to the Clark Beaufort I had. It has a tighter clean sound and a great break up when pushed. Also the trem is great. The 5e3s are just too wooly sounding for my style of playing.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for all the input - I think I've settled on a 2x10 Super. Question - any differences really between the more common straight cab vs. the slant cab or is it just a looks thing?

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
I think my '57 Tweed Twin RI in the Emporium is exactly what you need.
Sorry for the blatant plug.

Trending Topics