Recommend a vocal mike tailored to my voice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by The Smith, Jan 8, 2008.

1. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

Actually, it's for performing, not recording, but most of the mike talk seems to go down here, not in the Sound Hole.

Anyway, I've got an "okay" voice, but it's kind of muddy in the lower mid-ranges. Ive used a 58 and a Beta 58. The Beta helps, but is there a better mike for me out there? I definately wouldn't want to spend over $250, and I'd prefer to stay around $200 or less if I can.

Or do I just need to learn to sing better:eek:

2. greatbigz

greatbigz Member

Do you mean a 58 and a Beta 58. The Beta is what I would recommend. But if you've tried that...I'm out of this conversation. Good luck.

3. The Smith

Ya replied before I could edit it! I'm always getting 57 & 58 mixed up!

4. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Take a look at the Sennheiser e906. Yeh, I know its an "instrument" mic, but the 3 positions are usable. And Pink Floyd used to use the 409 back in the early years. e906 in the middle setting sounds just like it. ;)

-Z

5. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I like the e609 for some vocals, though it can look a little wierd on stage. I actually like the beta 57 on some live vocals too, it lets you do a lot with EQ if the singer's range isn't very wide.

6. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

Check out some of my threads on live vocal mics. I have owned almost all of the good ones. Let me know if you have any questions after reading the threads.

7. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Used Sennheiser 441? Might be out of your price range. As far as others within your budget, Audix and Heil are making great mics right now. The Audix I-5 was described to me by a great engineer as, "a 57 without all the problems." After using it, (on a guitar amp), I would agree - it just sounds right.

Here's my friend, Russ Long's review of two Heil mics:

Just some suggestions.

8. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

I tried the i5 as well as a bunch of others and the proximity effect is too great for vocals in my oppinion for what it is worth although I have 2 for my cabs as well as a 57 and md421. What kind of voice do you have? Hvae any recordings? My favorite is the Audix OM6 or OM7 for dynamic and The Shure ksm9 and Audix vx5 or Neumann kms105 for condensers.

9. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I have had great service out of the Audix OM5. They are very affordable and to me sound better than Sure SM58 by a long shot.

10. The Smith

See my first post. I'd say I'm a tenor (I'm guessing). I have a narrow range, and to me, my voice can sound muddy or blunt sometimes, so I don't want a mike that would accentuate that. It sounds a little bit like Greg Brown (the folk singer) but a little bit higher range...and not nearly so good!

I sing and play electric guitar in a worship rock band at church. So the stage volumes are not that loud; feedback isn't really an issue.

11. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Man, some people on this thread must be woodworkers, because all that glue has clouded their judgement. As far as dynamic mics go...An SM57 for vocals? Are you kidding me? Only as a last resort (I own one). Audix mics are just average I've found (I own a D6). Stick with the big boys. Nobody makes a better mic for the money than Audio-Technica ( I own 4 AT mics!). Nobody. And the EV's and upper level Sennheisers ( I own 2 Sennheisers!) are very good too. I do like the Beta 58...very good mic that I've used on several larger stages. The regular 58 isn't nearly as good (I own one), in my NSHO...because I've laid my hard earned money down, and I've learned quite a bit about mic quality. Now if I could only find a stage mic that sounds like my AT4047....that would rule! I'm currently looking for another stage mic, and it looks like I'm going to be giving my money to either Audio Technica or Shure for one of their stage condensers. Don't make me bust a card on a Neumann! Peace, Jon.

12. guitarcec

guitarcec Supporting Member

95% of the live dvd's i've seen lately use 1 of only a few mics on lead vocals - a Neumann KMS-105, a Beyer-dynamic TG-X 930, a Shure Beta 58, and (most frequently as of late) an Audix OM-7. i've used several Audix mics, and had very good experiences with them. don't be swayed away from Audix solely by one review. different people like different sounds, of course!
    :BEER

13. The Smith

Thanks for the imput, everybody.

14. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I've used both the Shure 58 and BETA 58 for years and recently switched over to a Sennheiser 935. LOVE IT! Great mic at a nice price point! Check out any of the Senns... don't think you'll be disappointed. Best of luck!

15. 6789

6789 Member

I switched from the Shure SM58 to the Electro Voice ND967. I think it sounds fuller, richer, deeper, clearer, louder, goes louder before feedback. I like it so much better than the SM58. It's the same vocal mic Dick Dale uses.

[​IMG]

16. The Smith

I think I've narrowed it down to these:
    Sennheiser 935
    Audix om-6
    Shure Beta 87A
    Heil Pr-30

17. KLINKDETROIT

KLINKDETROIT Member

I owned a Sennheiser 945 and md431 and are both very nice. I liked the 945 better than the 935 though. The 935 is very flat sounding but alot of people like it's balance. The AT large diaphram live mic is very rich too but does not cut like some others and has a very high output. Great for speech more so than any other.The om7 is very clear and should cut out any lows that you may find muddy and also is very good for speration although you need to be right on that mic all the time.

18. mcuguitar

Well the frantic woodworking continues. Dude, trust me, I have a Sennheiser 935. It is a very good, average microphone. Flat as can be, but almost scooped in the midrange. To me, it is just a hair better than my Shure 58. The EV that the one poster recommended is awesome, it blows the Senn 935 away. My bass player has that EV,and it is currently the best mic on our stage. I've sang through it many times, and I like that EV mic very much. And the Beta 58 is WAY beyond a Sennheiser 935. I've used all of these mics live. Every one of them. I own most of them, or my band does. Listen to somebody who has GIG experience with all of these mics. I do. And as far as Audix goes...BLECH! I OWN ONE, and I DON"T LIKE IT! I'm just being honest here, but I own over $3000.00 in mics...I've learned through opening my own pocketbook, and spending a lot of time with these mics. Get that EV, or the Beta58 or any Audio Technica or Neumann or a Sennheiser model above the 935. You'll thank me later.

19. mcuguitar

If you want a Sennheiser 935, I'll sell you mine for half of what GC wants for it, plus shipping. It's used, but very clean with the pouch.