recommend a wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mmorse, May 2, 2008.

1. mmorse

mmorse Member

What's a good middle of the road wah pedal?

2. JRBain

JRBain Member

Depends. What sound are you after?

3. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

I love my RMC Picture Wah, but I've had some problems with the build quality here and there. Sound is great, though.

4. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

What kind of "Build Quality" problems have you had?

5. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Dunlop 535q

6. JRBain

JRBain Member

True. I'd choose an RMC2 over a 535Q though, but we're talking middle of the road...

Or the good ol' Wizard... Over here the Wizard and 535Q are about the same price anyway, though.

Of all of the middle of the road wahs, along with the 535Q, I've heard good things about the Crybaby Classic, the Crybaby from Hell, if that's your thing, and you could always get a GCB-95 and mod it...

:RoCkIn

7. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

Still trying to work them out.

The DC jack in it is recessed too far into the metal housing, so it pops out the cord every once in a while. This is a real bitch live (right in the middle of a lead, step on the wah, dead silence), and I've yet to fix it properly. I guess I'll have to route it out through the bottom or something, or take the dremel to it. Also, when I first got it, I unscrewed the bottom plat to get the feet off so I could put it on my pedal board, and one of the screws was so soft it literally broke off in the threading. Now I've got Gaff tape holding it together. Looks like ****, but sounds badass!

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

That is pretty crazy.. If your power supply cable doesn't fit correctly, (5.5/2.1mm) you should have a battery in the wah so that if it comes loose you still have wah..
    :BEER

9. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

I do, but I get so busy trying to move gear off after the show that I forget to unplug the cables from the wah and it drains out the batteries. Makes for an expensive mistake after awhile... and one that I seem to keep making. It's not the cable, I've tried 3 or 4 different ones. I think I can fix it with a Dremel if I shave down the metal around the DC jack.

10. mmorse

mmorse Member

OK, here's the thing. I have an old King Vox Wah I bought back in the 70s. The only mod I've ever done to it is to put in a true bypass switch. The pedal has served me well as I only use it for a few songs. Most of the time it's off. I recently picked up a Blackstar HT Dual OD pedal. With the OD switched on to the high gain channel, the pedal hums like crazy when engaged. If I move the wah about 5 ft. away from the OD, the hum goes away but that isn't a practical solution.

Rather than mess around with changing inductors or mumetal shielding etc., I thought it would be easier to just get a decent sounding pedal that would not hum. So I guess what I need is a wah that is quiet and has a true bypass switch. I'm pretty flexible as far as tone goes though I like a thicker, fatter tone. Especially when used with a higher gain OD pedal.

11. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Wow, that's the closest to a negative comment I've ever head about a Teese. What is/was the problem? I'm just about to jump on one of these and they're kinda expensive...I bet if you emailed GT, he'd address the problem--he certainly seems to stand behind his work and is a mine of info.

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread -- can't you get a different size connector for the power supply? I know the PP2 cables come with longer/shorter plug variants.

12. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

I recently scored a Morley Power Wah from 1992 off of Ebay and it's a great pedal. Morleys are easy to mod or to adjust their tone since they don't use POTS. Rather they use LED's and optics to adjust the Wah tone. Also Morley's customer service is great. They sent me a new screw set and the PDF instruction for adjusting your wah tone, free of charge.

13. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I don't really like wah, but if I had one, I'd be after Cream/Clapton tones. What's best for that? I'm not even sure what other wah types there would be.

How about the Vox 847 and 848 models...how do they compare?

John

14. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hijack, but what is the best wah IYO for clean and high gain (Velvet Revolver being highest gain I get)?

The wah sound I really like is the tone John Mayer gets on "Good Love is on the Way".

I am looking at them all from Teese to Proanalog to Area51.

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.

15. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I have a Buddha and its great, they sell for about $130 used I think. I play classic Rock and blues, funk and soul

16. krog

krog Member

Cryptozoo....to make the cord fit better, I just trimmed it up a little so it would fit tighter in the jack (allowing it to be pushed in more firmly). I love my Wizard, most musical wah I've ever had! Good luck.

17. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get in touch with George at Pedalworx and have him mod that wah... you won't find a better option.

18. mmorse

mmorse Member

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

19. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

Wasn't trying to be negative, I love the sound of the wah -- it's my favorite that I've ever played. Wanted to update everyone, I was able to examine the problem a little better and fix it. The odd DC jack fit was due to a small lip / defect in the metal casing. Instead of being a perfect circle, it had a buildup of paint and metal that was making the adaptor cable 'pop out,' almost like it was spring-loaded. I spent about 15 mins working it over with the edge of a flat-head and got it smoothed down. Fits like a charm, now!

Another cool thing I've found to do is use the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 9vc sag controls to back the juice off of the wah. It really does some interesting things at different power levels, and I prefer it to the sound of a battery.

20. jay42

jay42 Member

In the day, I opened my Vox after the best tone I'd ever got from it. Eveready Heavy Duty had dropped to about 6.5V. It was dying very nicely.