Recommend an A/B/Y Switch (For BadCat)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lgehrig4, Jul 5, 2006.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I need an A/B/Y to switch between and/or blend the clean & dirty channels of my Hot Cat. I never bought one before so I don't know what to look for/avoid.

Any specific brand recommendations for this purpose?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You might really enjoy a stereo volume/pan pedal like the Ernie Ball... I used to have a cheap RFX stereo vol/pan pedal that I'd use to fade between my Leslie cabinet and regular guitar amp, I'd actually like to work something like that back into the system, it was cool. With the treadle at halfway, it was a blend, very seamless switching.

3. lgehrig4

How does this differ from an A/B/Y?

4. mesaspeedlab

mesaspeedlab Member

I have this same setup, Hot Cat 30 and an ABY switch. I have a Loooper ABY but from his website it looks like he is not making pedals anymore. If you can pick one up on ebay or here on TGP it works great with no bleedover.

The ernie ball stereo volume pan allows you to fade between each input, which I thought would be cool but didnt work for me because when the pedal is in the middle of the throw (50% clean, 50% gain) you've lost the sparkle of the clean channel and the gain side is not at the OD stage anymore. Imagine an ABY in the Y mode with your guitar volume at 5, thats kinda what it sounded like. The Ernie Ball did have a side switch that you could kick on with the edge of your foot that would change it to a true Y mode, but in the end it was too big to keep.

I would try to find an Loooper ABY, or order an ABY from www.loop-master.com

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Lehle Dual. Red box. I had one for my Hot Cat. Totally transparent, silent switching. Worth every penny I spent, which was around $200.00, I don't remember the exact dollar amount as it was a few years ago.

Best,

Doc :)

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

That's true, and a factor in my deciding to go with a layering A/B/C/D->E/G/Y system (if that makes any sense!)

Does the ToneCzar VFM system work in stereo and avoid the low signal problem? That seemed like a cool fading system... expensive as all get out, though.

7. lgehrig4

Thanks for the input! Definitely don't want to lose any sparkle. I'll look into those loopers. If he no longer makes them I'm sure I will find one on Ebay or this site.

I'll check out the Lehle as well. thats a lot of $$ for a switch huh? What they hell is in them things?

8. mesaspeedlab

mesaspeedlab Member

From what I understand the VFM is an active fading system (24V or something), not a passive potentiometer device, so fading between inputs you will not lose the sparkle or gain, but using the VFM for that only is kind of a waste IMHO, it does a lot more. I could be wrong, Ed would have to chime in here to answer.

The Lehle I believe is also more of an active device, or at least a buffered device, so if you used it for a 2 amp setup the hum associated with an ABY like the Loooper would be gone. The Loooper will hum with a 2 amp setup, the Lehle will not. I think that is why they cost so much. For the Cat you dont have to worry about that because there no ground loop issues (same amp, 2 inputs) so a cheaper loop-master or Loooper ABY will work fine

9. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I used a whirlwind on my Hot Cat 15 with much success. Silent switching and and not to expensive. look for a used one.

10. reverber8

reverber8 Member

Radial Engineering Switchbone JX2. A little on the pricy side at $230.00 for an ABY but well worth the extra $$$. Excellent construction quality and dead quiet. Additional features like phase switch, ground lift, boost (mid or gain, both with adjustments) and drag control also ad to the value.

I used a Morley ABY for years but the JX2 blows it away.

11. mesaspeedlab

mesaspeedlab Member

12. lgehrig4

Thanks. I was looking at that one and the small version w/out the led