Recommend an amp that allows OD pedals at low volumes that feel real.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by muku, Jul 12, 2018.

1. muku

muku Supporting Member

I have been playing Fender amps and Fender flavored amps (Tone King Meteor 20) for decades.
    They sound spectacular and comfortable for gig level volume. But they mostly take low gain OD pedals (boosts). I realize that my vintage PR and Tone King have the 3D warmth that does not allow medium (non-metal) gain pedals very easily. I have bought 15 or more boutique and production pedals. I can't get that air moving symbiotic soloing at low medium volumes. Hard to turn the gain up with my two thick, Fender flavored, amps.

Please recommend a non-Fender amp that I can use some gain at low - medium volume. I could use either a head or combo. Especially interested in on board attenuator types, 1/2, 2 or more watts. A time based effects loop would be a bonus and a direct out to record with. Would like to rock with the best bedroom level gain amp. Or Distortion pedal / Amp combined, recommendations.

2. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

I don’t understand. If you are using an HM-1 you should get the same awesome tone at any level with any amp.

The problem is you need to solely rely on dirt pedals into the board. I recommend ten or so Overdrives.

Or a 3rd Power Wooly Coats.

3. muku

muku Supporting Member

What is an HM-1? 10 or so overdrives?
    I have tried KOT's, Timmy's, Analogman modded Boss, and a bunch of Barber OD/Dist pedals. The burn unit I can actually got some good results with.

I am liking the WOOLY COATS - SPANKY MKII or similar models. Thanks for the tip.

4. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I was just sitting in my office playing through my Princeton at pretty low volume (2) with an old pedal called a V-Stack which is a Marshall in a box from many years ago and was getting great overdriven Marshall stack tone without blowing my ears out.

It has something called a Cut control that really needs to be dialed in correctly and,when you do, it totally changes what's coming out of the amp from something that sounds synthesized to something that is so much more realistic at low volumes.

I guess I don't totally understand why you haven't found a combination that works but if you want to look at a non Fender amp, I'd go check out something like a Boogie Mark V:35, which gives you so many ways to dial in a tone that you like.

5. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Might want to check out the current Roland Blues Cube line.

6. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

Joke. Heavy metal pedal. Very bad sounding (imo).

3rd Power's hybridmaster attenuating/level control circuit is fantastic. As far as onboard power-scaling is concerned, I haven't heard one better. Carr does a great job as well on their models. There's probably a bunch of threads here on them as well as 3rd Power.

muku likes this.
  7. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Marshall Origin 50.

muku likes this.
  8. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

try a fender tweed styled amp. 5E3 or, better yet, a 5F6A.

They're "thick" as well, but in a much different way. It's a "looser' more raw feel. I find that these amps accept gain better than BF style amps, perhaps the mid-range structure enhances the pedal gain in different way. You'll need to re-EQ your pedal to make it work, but it should help with your issue. I think, by your description, that you're looking for something less "scooped" in the mid range.

muku likes this.
  9. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I just got a PRS MT15 that has nuts gain at low volume.

muku likes this.
  10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Not tube, but I am finding there is very little a Quilter MicroPro cannot do. Just yesterday I had a very inspiring bedroom level tone going and then turned it up and had a great tone at (loud) band rehearsal that evening.

11. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

I think that it’s (real sound) is more dependent upon the pedal than the amp.
    My opinion.

12. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

/\ /\ This /\ /\

I play my Bassman and High Powered Twin at practice levels all the time. To get the good dirt, I use pedals. Love this tone.

13. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

I spent a couple of years experimenting with amps from 5 to 20 watt looking for a good low volume sound and a great high volume sound too. Failed. Now I only use 50 & 100 watt amps and generally prefer the 100s at low volume. A Marshall JMP 2203 and a 2225X have great MV's and can get good OD on their own. For that low volume super saturated sound I use a clean boost, an Archer or an Empress Heavy.

Russ

muku likes this.