Recommend an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DrDespair, Sep 23, 2005.

1. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Hi.

I play a Mesa/Boogie Subway blues.
    Which is perfect.

except for the volume you can reach clean.

So I´m looking for an amp, Single Channel, Reverb or at least decent FX-loop,
    strong EQ (no single tone poti please)
    And loud enough for strong clean strumming on stage.

Head, that is.

I tried a 65 twin. Nope. thicker please.
    i tried a caliber 50 NOISY. sh... reverb

Any Ideas?

DrDespair

2. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

Check out some Dr. Z amps. I play a Maz Jr NR which has a pretty early breakup but, the Maz SR will allow more headroom. Also, a higher powered amp like the Delta 88 would give you tons of clean headroom if that's what your after. Check them out on the web at www.drzamps.com

3. dave s

dave s Member

If you like the Mesa reliability and tone, they made another amp in the Rocket line called a Rocket 4-Forty. 40w of EL84 power and clean/loud for DAYS!

I gigged with one and the 4x10 speaker config in a combo produced a huge 'wall-of-sound' that didn't get eaten alive by everything else going on on stage.

Granted, it's larger than a 112, but would certainly match up well with the fairly loud, clean strumming requirement.

dave

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Gibson GA-30RVS has a HUGE clean sound.

5. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

The biggest headroom I've found on a 50W amp has been a Voodoo amps Baka. It stays clean even if you set the gain to 8. It will break up if you max the gain and the PPIMV but it will be a blues type of breakup. The amp has two toggle switches one for treble boost and the other a bass boost. It also has a bottom control that allows you to dial how tight you want the bottom end to be.....

I think Trace can build one out of an existing amp. That might help keep the cost low....Just something to consider....

6. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Dr Z has great amps with a thick tone. Great reverb as well. Try the maz 38.

7. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Hmmm,

I almost forgot about these 44 Rockets…

the Z delta 88 seems to be fitting: small, loud, simple.
    is there an FX-loop Option?

Budda is unavailable in Germany and way to expensive…

voodoo? never seen one… I think I´ll do some browsing.

thank you
    DrDespair

8. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

Yes, you can get the FX Loop. But seriously, Z amps are twice as loud as you think. You should check out his whole line and get to a dealer to try out the various models. Plus, the price can't be beat. The are built and sound as good (better I think) than amps costing 3 times as much.

I see you are in Germany. Check out Pro Guitar. They are an authorized Z dealer. Here is there address.

Pro Guitar
    Buchenweg 13
    D-90592
    Schwarzenbruck, Germany
    ++49 9183 9029024

proguitar@proguitar.de

Hope this helps.

Charlie

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Lots of ideas but why not run the line out of the Subway into a Crate Powerblock? Or, some other clean power amp. I have a Barbetta Sona SE-41 as part of my keyboard rig so I can always use that - which is 550 biamped Watts. A bass rig would make sense as well - sometimes I have used a Gallien Kruger 700RB which is a little less power but still enough to do whatever is necessary.

If you want another guitar rig with high clean volume the Fender Dual Professional is the ticket.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you don't mind schlepping around another amp for two sounds, more powr to you! The problem with clean amps (as you discovered with the Twin) is that they do tend to have a sweet spot and sound good over limited volume ranges (true with master volume amps too, but preamp compression helps that out). Some of them allow you to tailor the power amp section a bit to control overall output (for example 25-100w in the Marshall 6100, or 15-75w in the Soul-O 75). Using Fender amps for clean you really need 3 or 4 for different venus-Deluxe for small gigs, Vibrolux/Super/Pro for big ones and the Twin for stadiums! Of course then there's the brown Super/Pro/Bandmaster which fits in between... So, anyway, how loud do you need this clean amp to be? How heavy can you go? Do you really want stereo or do you want a better channel switcher?

11. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Hey a lot of options there.

just to give you an Idea of the volume:

when I play live on a medium stage, It´s halfway open.
    which means it won´t get any louder, just more driven.

I play a hofner verythin. I want clear clean picking and full open acoustic-style strumming. And I hit very hard. 3mm picks. 11-50 gauge. Crannnnnng…

how about extremely efficient speakers?
    Or having it customized with another transformer and hmm, 2 5881 : )?

Oh, one more:

It should be possible to use overdrive pedals. If you use a rat e.g. for lead, you´ll have a hard time dialing in the right sound. With the subway already in drive-mode you end up mostly in mud…

thank you for all replies, more still welcome…
    DrDespair

12. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

If it's clean you're looking for, then you must check out the Tone King Meteor II.

www.toneking.com

Jeff

13. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

Check out the new line of Patriot/Redcoat Eminence Speakers. You should be able to find something to suit your taste from there. And they are extremely affordable.