Recommend an E-Drum kit

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Really awesome studio-playroom you have there TJ. You are already getting a handle on knowing how to work those things.
They say that the mesh heads last longer if you use nylon tipped sticks on them. Those hickory sticks don't look nylon tipped to me.
Don't worry, I made the same mistake too. Luckily I also have an acoustic set to use those wood tipped sticks in my stash. And you never know, you might pick up some real cymbals in case you want to record real cymbals some time, or you may even eventually pick up a used acoustic set to have just for laughs. Actually I think the electronic cymbals are not all that bad.

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Really awesome studio-playroom you have there TJ. You are already getting a handle on knowing how to work those things.
They say that the mesh heads last longer if you use nylon tipped sticks on them. Those hickory sticks don't look nylon tipped to me.
Don't worry, I made the same mistake too. Luckily I also have an acoustic set to use those wood tipped sticks in my stash. And you never know, you might pick up some real cymbals in case you want to record real cymbals some time, or you may even eventually pick up a used acoustic set to have just for laughs. Actually I think the electronic cymbals are not all that bad.

Yeah, I've read about using nylon tips. Some say they're best. Others say they've been using wood tips forever and with no issues. I suspect it depends on how hard you hit. I'm kinda a softy.

In any case, I'll pick up some nylon tippers soon. For now, the sticks came bundled with bag and I actually just wanted the bag more.

Good stuff! Are the heads sensitive enough where you could use brushes?

I guess you could use brushes. But, I don't think they'd be ideal as they're likely to cause false triggering. E-drums work better with a definite strike on the pad.

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Good stuff! Are the heads sensitive enough where you could use brushes?
You can remove the electronic snare and mount and substitute a real snare drum and stand in place that in position with the rest of the electronic kit with an SM-57 mic on it, and record that snare on a separate track, also simultaneously recording the rest of the electronic kit in its usual way.
You could also record the snare with brushes by itself on a separate track after you have laid down the track(s) for the rest of the drums. The only problem is that you might also want to have real toms and Cymbals for the brushes if that's what you want to include. About ten years ago I asked the music teacher how much he wanted for his old zildian cymbals when I found out that he was selling set. He said $300. I asked how much for the whole set including cymbals. He said $300. So I took the whole set of 1971 Premier drums with the cymbals, just to have acoustic options for recording. At that time old drums were being given away very cheap. Great deals are still out there. Most nobody wants Premier and there are also really great deals on more recent used drums such as Yamaha, Pearl, and Tama etc with cymbals.

Last edited:

TJontheRoad

Gold Supporting Member
Here's my first studio recording using the V-Drums. Some post edits were required I admit ;)

Still, I've been practicing for at least a couple hours everyday, sometimes more, since I got the kit. I do love it.

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Here's my first studio recording using the V-Drums. Some post edits were required I admit ;)

Still, I've been practicing for at least a couple hours everyday, sometimes more, since I got the kit. I do love it.

Hey TJ the drumming sounds like somebody who has been playing for a good while.
You keep tempo very well.
I also really liked your Robbie Blunt sounding guitar solo on there.
Lots of great melody from the synths on that track.

TJontheRoad

Gold Supporting Member
Hey TJ the drumming sounds like somebody who has been playing for a good while.
You keep tempo very well.
I also really liked your Robbie Blunt sounding guitar solo on there.
Lots of great melody from the synths on that track.

Thanks much. I'm playing to a click track and that helps me keep time. Playing along with a click is important skill I think. Not enough drummers can do it or are willing to.

TJontheRoad

Gold Supporting Member
Just following up...

I absolutely love the V-Drum kit and have been playing on it almost everyday since I bought it. I should have got it a long time ago. It took a while to find the right setup, but I've got it working nicely now.

I finally got the nerve up to add my playing it into one of my video jams here.

Rayf

Just following up...

I absolutely love the V-Drum kit and have been playing on it almost everyday since I bought it. I should have got it a long time ago. It took a while to find the right setup, but I've got it working nicely now.

I finally got the nerve up to add my playing it into one of my video jams here.

Out of curiosity, how do you start recording? Do you play guitar with a click track first? I have all the parts in my head but its hard to lay them all down separately, keep everything in time and have everything flow together naturally.

TJontheRoad

Gold Supporting Member
Out of curiosity, how do you start recording? Do you play guitar with a click track first? I have all the parts in my head but its hard to lay them all down separately, keep everything in time and have everything flow together naturally.

I depends on the song but I do almost always record a guide track to a click or a basic drum beat to get things started. I'll later come back and re-record that track with the others. That guide track isn't always on guitar. It could be keys as well.

I also sometimes use the BIAB plugin to arrange the whole song and then re-record those tracks. This is how I did the last song posted here. This works well with tunes with defined chord changes but not as well with riff based jams.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom