1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Recommend an eq for lofi guitar

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by andrew00, May 17, 2011.

1. andrew00

andrew00 Member

Hey,

I'm looking for a pedal or pedal eq or whatever they can give that lofi guitar sound, preferably whilst keeping things trebley. I've tried the Ibanez LF7 and it's pretty cool though is a middy pedal for me, wheras I'd like to get a pedal that gives a trebley effect.

Oh and I don't want a distorted/fuzz pedal, i.e. keep things a bit clean, maybe dirty it a little, but mostly just get it lofi for effect.

Here's an example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svgh_MZOmaw (think that's a uke mic'd)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5sue8Jjgeo (bit of auto wah there too)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88Ca91hTWs

Can anyone suggest anything?

I've looked at various things like the radio havana, boss/mxr eq's, q-zone etc but it's hard. I think something like the GE-7 might be the best bet simply from the pov of being able to limit frequencies etc?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

to me, "lofi" is a very "telephony" sound which would be a mid hump.

Any graphic or parametric EQ will do the trick.

Just drop all the bass freqs & cut any freqs you don't want...then boost all the ones you do want....extreme EQing is the key.

3. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Any equaliser can do it- what matters is what settings are used.

4. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

a bandbass filter centered around 1-2khz.
    cut off the lows and highs, no real need to bump the center frequency, but it can help if it's slight - more resonance and it'll sound like a stuck wah.

5. lupa

lupa Member

If you are talking about the lo-fi radio kind of sound like the begening and end of pink floyd's wish you were here, this can be achived with the single coil bridge pick up of a strat into a fuzz with the volume knob rolled back
    no EQ needed then turn up the volume to get a "full" sound or if you do want to do this with an EQ get one that has controll over 2-4Khz

6. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Member

Heavy Electronics Radio Havana is just the ticket for that sort of thing. It has a gain control, so you can use it like a lo-fi fuzz, or just as a lo-fi EQ with minimal gain.

7. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

8. andrew00

andrew00 Member

Thanks for the replies!

I think an EQ is the way to go, I've just noticed my local store (dv247 for uk'ers!) are doing 3 for 2 on Boss from today and since I just got the FRV-1 and a DD-3 I could send them back and get the Boss EQ for free.

That is unless y'all feel it's too noisy and the MXR 6-band is the way to go? I see Dr Scientist also do one but it's 3x the price and has knobs over sliders.

Anything bigger than that would be too big for my board!

9. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

OP, I will well you my Radio Havana for cheap.

pm me

It does exactly what you want if you keep the gain down.

10. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

Noisy is what you want, no?...the cheaper, the better I would think. You might want to isolate it from the rest of your board though when it's not being used (with a looper or something) or just take it off. I doubt something cheap (Boss, etc) would be true bypass.

11. Gretsch47

Gretsch47 Member

Radio Havana is true bypass and wouldn't be a problem when off.

12. sahhas

sahhas Member

i have a behringer tweakalizer and it has some lo-fi eq settings that sound similar to what the ibanez lo-fi pedal does. not sure if it's better or worse.
    works though.
    the korg kaoss pad 2 also has some lo-fi settings too....
    if you're wanting it in a small footprint the ibanez lo-fi is probably better, both of the above pedals/boxes are a bit bigger....