Recommend an instructional dvd for a beginner guitarist

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Navigator, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

My searching here hasn't turned up too much so I thought I ask. My friend's son is about 9 or so and is learning to play his 3/4-sized strat and his dad wants to get him a good dvd to help him out. Is there something specific you can recommend? I'm assuming he's interested in rock, but something that will get him started with good fundamentals would be great. I was impressed with the Hal Leonard beginner bass dvd that I got for my niece but I've yet to find something like that for guitar. All suggestions would be appreciated!

2. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

Fender has a series that someone here turned me on to for my son. I believe it's titled "learning to play electric guitar", and the instructor is Keith Wyatt. He covers things very clearly and the DVD covers alot of ground for the price. The acoustic version is also very good, but the electric covers more ground (scales ...).

3. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

My belated thanks for your suggestions. I just ordered the Keith Wyatt DVD; the Amazon reviews looked all stellar. Thanks again.

4. 12guitdown

12guitdown Silver Supporting Member

What about Estaban?:jo

5. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I know this is done to death but Pete Thorn's How to Play Eruption Youtube lessons are just great. There's 5 parts and he really breaks it down right. His feel and execution are fabulous and I really dig him.

How To Play "Eruption", Part 1

-----

There's another DVD that may be a little over your head at this point buy you can grow into it. Andy Aledort's Axis: Bold As Love DVD is just flat out bitchin'. Even if you only get a few things off of it at first, it will jump you're playing and it well worth the $10 bucks or so it costs.

6. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Yep, Keith Wyatt's DVDs are great.

7. stevel

stevel Member

An instructor.

Seriously. You don't know how many people came to me after, "I bought this book" and "this DVD" and said "and I still can't figure it out".

The interaction with a human that already knows how to play guitar, and can respond to questions is worth a lot. 19.95 on a DVD, 20 bucks on a lesson. The return on investment will be far greater with the lessons (added bonus, while his son is in his lesson he can have some peace and quiet or run some errands - I know that sounds bad but I was a guitar teacher and am a father of two!).

While you can learn things from books and videos, IMHO it is far better to take advantage of the knowledge and experiences of another person.

If he can't get a teacher, maybe a relative who plays? You can't ask the video questions, and it feasibly can't cover everything.

If he does decide to get an instructor, get a REPUTABLE one - there are a lot of guitarists who teach, but there are fewer guitar instructors if you get my differentiation. Find one that comes well-recommended by others. Private studio or music store. Professional experience or academic degree.

Think of it this way - would you give your kid a pool, and a DVD on "how to swim", and expect him to figure it out himself. No, you'd want someone in the pool with him, and maybe even lessons at the Y.

Now guitar is not life and death (though for some people here it may be!) but the fact of the matter is, if you give a kid a guitar and a DVD, you're practically setting them up for failure (or drowning!).

My deflated 2 cents worth (or is that inflated self-worth? Oh, well, whatever).

Best,
    Steve

8. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

+1 on Keith Wyatt. All of his instructional material is first class.

9. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Agreed, but the original post asked for a DVD. A good instructor would be a better choice. Maybe they're limited financially. Besides, a lot of kids can really pick the stuff up quick at that age because well... monkey see monkey do.

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

+1

I think it is called Getting started on electric guitar by Keith Wyatt and I also recommend this one. You can search for Keith Wyatt at Amazon.com or elsewhere (Google) and you will find it. The DVD covers intro level rock, blues and country, as well as scales and chords.

Here is a link at Amazon: Getting Started on Electric Guitar

11. spacelord

spacelord Member

12. The Captain

The Captain Member

Without being offensive, this is the only post here that makes sense. This kid is 9 yrs old. MOney spent on a DVD is money wasted. Get him a teacher that can connect with a kid this age, and bingo !!!
    Whilst the OP asked for a DVD, it was not the right thing to ask for.

13. 5E3

5E3 Member

Yes, that's the same guy. He's also an instructor at the Guitar Institute of Technology.

The beauty of a DVD is that the lessons can be played over and over as many times as needed.

14. stevel

stevel Member

Yes, I learned from experience. :AOK

Steve