Recommend an Octave Fuzz that . . .

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SmelltheGlove, Oct 9, 2006.

1. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

-has 2 independently selectable switches for the fuzz and octave (i.e., can select just fuzz, just octave, or both)

-with a fuzz side that sounds full but still searing enough to use on top of an already distorted amp, and cleans up well with guitar volume control

-with an octave up side that tracks fairly well

-sounds good with humbuckers and single coils

I see the Fulltone Ultimate Octave that QotSA apparently use, but have never played one - any thoughts on this one? Any other, better recommendations?

2. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

Maybe check out the SIB Nick Nitro.

3. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

Cool, I'll check that one out (and hello to a fellow HCEF defector).

Another one I found: Foxx Tone Machine? Maybe all of these are clones of this one? Edit: this doesn't have separate switches for fuzz and octave.

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

The Fulltone is a clone of the Foxx, which is a different more sizzly kind of fuzz than a fuzzface. I owned both and would go with the Fulltone. The Foxx is too big, doesn't have external power and the octave is a toggle switch not a footswitch. Plus the Foxx is huge. I liked the Ultimate octaves size, sound and features better.

5. onehourlater

onehourlater Member

chigago iron octavian looks to be an option aswell, its on my GAS list currently

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

For some reason, almost all of the ones I've tried that are switchable between the two never sounded right. And it's usually the "fuzz" side that suffers IMHO. But if I had to pick one it'd be the PE Experience.

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

And Fulltone has the Octafuzz with the toggle controlled octave up now.
    I'm torn between the Octa' and the UO.

8. t.glaze

t.glaze Member

I have the experience and the chicago iron octavian plus.
    I love them both but the chicago iron is what's on my pedal board.
    Terry

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If you decide to go with a straight fuzz/octave pedal with just one switch, the KR Doubler is pretty awesome. The controls are pretty interactive and I wasn't sure where to start to get the octave sound coming through prominently, but now I've got it pretty much figured out.

I have a short clip I recorded here, but I think I have the controls figured out to make it sound a little more to what I had in mind. I really like the ring-modulator type sounds you get with double stops and such.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's interesting you mention that...

I have a HBE UFO, and the octave sounds pretty good (not nearly as good as Foxrox's CC2, or Octrons' octave though) but the fuzz...it bad enough I thought maybe it was broken. Really muffled, bassy, doesn't clean up well at all.

I have seen some folks were happy with theirs, so maybe there is a problem with mine, dunno...but it really us unusable for that.

I'm thinking of selling it, but can't imagine any buyer would be happy with it either. Kind of a problem.

That said, the CC2 had octave, fuzz, AND vibe that are pretty nice together.

11. Medication

Medication Member

Prescription Electronics Face Lift. I've heard mixed reviews.

I've got a couple PE Experiences, and love them, but the channels are not independent.

12. robinson slick

robinson slick Member

I've had the Prescription Electronics Experience pedal now for about 10 years and really love it, the octavia part is more subtle than some might like like but it's the perfect blend to me; the main problem is that if you're playing below the 7th fret or so it begins to lose the high note, but I think that's pretty common on all of them. The fuzz is great and very adjustable.

13. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

What about the Retroman Hi Octone - It has the Germ part of the Sybil on one side and the other has the Octavious. The pedal order can be switched back and forth.

14. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

I had the UO for a while, didn't really like it. Can't use the octave without fuzz, and the fuzz was a bit lame, too civilized for me, I guess. It doesn't clean up that well, which to me was its ultimate fault.

The Octafuzz sounds much better. Tested it only briefly, though.

Nick Nitro seems excellent. All three sounds (fuzz, octave and combined) are very good, it has lots of output and cleans up quite nicely. Going to get me one...

I currently have the HBE UFO, to me it sounds better than the UO, but not good enough. It's going...

I'm trying to find a good replica of my Roger Mayer Octavia, something that could approximate its dry, hollow, blunt & screaming noise. I like it a lot, except it takes too much room on my pedalboard. Guess I'll check out the Octafuzz next.

15. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, appreciate the good leads.

16. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, I've got both these pedals, and while I prefer both the fuzz AND the octafuzz tones of the Experience, it's the Face Lift that has independent controls for the fuzz side & the octave side. Both channels switchable as well, so you can have one OR the other OR both mixed to taste.

The Face Lift's available in Ge or Si format, and I went with germanium, as that's the type of trannie originally used.

But the Experience's is both fatter & smoother, in spite of he fact that it's a Silicon circuit..

17. SmelltheGlove

SmelltheGlove Member

This one looks particularly cool. :AOK Any experience with it?

18. drolling

drolling Member

Not the Octone, but Sybil's my favorite fuzz - from an edgy treble boost all the way to brainmelting squalls of feedback - the girl does it all.. and Joe Wolf's a total champ to deal with.. highly recommended.

19. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've got an UFO for cheap if you end up deciding you want to try one.