Recommend an OD for Single Coils

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Baker4, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Baker4

Baker4 Member

I play an MIM strat with vintage Alnico 5 single coil pickups through a Peavey Classic 30. I'm looking for an OD that has the screaming highs of tube screamer's, but without the mid hump and compression. I want the pedal to have more grit than a tube screamer for blues along the lines of Robben Ford and Robert Cray. I also want string distinction when I play chords. Right now I'm considering the ZenDrive, Barber LTD, and Fulltone Fulldrive II. Any other suggestions?

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

The Barber is a real nice pedal but it doesn't have a lot of edgy gain. You might like a modified Boss BD-2.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Before you spend big bucks try a Bad Monkey first - price of a tank of gas......

Best, Pete.

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

The OCD makes my strat sound otherworldly. I mean it is really at its best with single coils.

5. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

A used LTD is a good choice I think.

6. Ned

Ned Member

lovepedal eternity for singing leads! :AOK

7. Cruachan

Cruachan Guest

If you want more gain than a TS I'd steer clear of the FD2. Gain levels are about the same unless you use the boost mode all the time. SD-1 or the MXR Zakk Wylde have more gain and are a lot rawer sounding.

8. jpagey

jpagey Member

These would all be good choices:

Barber LTD
    Lovepedal CoT
    Hermida Zen Drive
    Keeley modded BD-2 Phat
    GGG Std OD (with the 3-way switch in 2 of the 3 positions)

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

From the description in the first post the Eternity is what came to mind frist for me as well. However, I have not played all the other choices on the list (only the FD2).

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

What's your price limit? Can you afford a $260 Lovepedal Eternity? That seems to be a very popular choice, and Sean makes great stuff. I love the COT50 that I have, but I'm not sure that would be the best choice for what you described.

I think a used FDII with the three way toggle would put you right where you want to be and give you flexibility. I really liked the flat mids setting with a Strat and BF style amp, though I can't really remember what a Classic 30 sounds like (except that it was nice!).

11. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

MJM Blues Devil does a good job on lower output singles,mine has the anologman silver mod and it, really improved the note to note definition all over the gain setting.:AOK

12. Baker4

Baker4 Member

The etnerity is a little out of my price range, didn't want to spend more than $200, and would prefer to spend closer to $150.

I'm going to play the Barber and Fulldrive along with whatever else is in the stores this weekend. The COT doesn't really sound like my tone from the clips on musictoyz neither does the GGG std od.

I had a thought, would stacking a really tight, screaming pedal with a gritty pedal such as a sd-1 or ds-1 would I achieve the tone i'm after? Or is it advised to just run 1 pedal?

13. VanStone

VanStone Member

The MI Audio Blues Pro is excellent with both single coils and humbuckers.

V

14. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

Maxon ST-01 Super Tube Screamer, it has an adjustable midrange and more drive than a ts-808. I found mine on ebay for $200. I had to wait a while for one to pop up though.

15. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Original marshall bluesbreaker, and it will more than likely only go UP in value over the next few years. That overdrive alone has kept me playing my strat as much as my tele. For tele single coils I would say a Cmatmods tube slammer.

16. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Bad Monkey does sound good with a Peavey amp. Hear my son use that combo almost weekly. I like the FD2 only when playing in a band context. FD2 seems bland when practicing IMO. Hotcake would be another one to try.

17. beckanon

beckanon Member

Another vote for the Eternity. There is a nice glassiness about the overdrive that brings out that stringy/snappy vibe of single coils, while still providing a bit o' compressed goodness.

18. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I don't have a Classic 30 anymore, but I have a Delta Blues which is the same amp. Only (but noticeable) differences are a bigger speaker (15") and a bigger cab. And of course there's a tremolo in DB. But like I said the amp itself is the same.

I haven't found a better overdrive for my Delta Blues than the TIM or the Timmy yet. They really like those EL84 tubes. Chords ring out and leads sing without sounding boxy or nasally. I have both pedals and use them alone or stacked with a great success.

19. jgyn

jgyn Member

Roger Mayer Voodoo-1.

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

There's not many OD's that don't kill with single coils; especially for the sound you're going after.

MJM Blues Devil is the one of the best Tube Screamer clones out there. It's a pedal that needs some volume to sound good but it's a great sounding box. Lots of grit on tap.

The Blueberry Hotcake is a standout. An absolutely awesome pedal - one of those beauties that you never want to turn off.

I happen to dig the OCD. No complaints. Love tweaking it and it sounds great all over the dial in either mode. It's chimey / open / marshall-esque and especially fun with a Tele.

The Fulldrive 2 is a classic. The vintage mode Overdrive needs to be played loud to sound worthy {to my ears} and the flat mids & comp cut are keepers at any volume.

The Eternity / Klon / Honeybee take you down a road that will cost you some bucks but they are excellent pedals and are voiced in a class of their own.