recommend an overdrive for use with a clean solid state amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fyler, Feb 20, 2012.

1. fyler

fyler Member

i figure this might be a topic a lot of folks around here would scoff at, but i'd like to know what people think would work well as an all around overdrive for a clean solid state amp. i've definitely given the WIIO/RAH consideration...the amp-in-a-can idea seems like it might lend itself well to this application. other ideas?

2. jordiesaenz

jordiesaenz Member

I think I liked my OCD better on my solid state than my tube amp. Try that out.

3. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

Ethos
    Kot
    Zen
    Minstrel/jester

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

:agree Great suggestions.

Anything tubed... or anything menatone. The kotb would be great.

5. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

A TS-9 (with its increase in distortion/grit vs. the smoother TS-808) was designed for use (not exclusively, but to sound better than a TS-808) with SS amps.

As a TS-808 was designed (at low Drive/High Level) was made for pushing an almost overdriving tube amp into distortion, SS amps which could nor really breakup on their own, needed more of a Gain push from something, therefore the grit of a TS-9 @ higher Drive settings...I had a SS Peavey Bandit 75 that sounded great with a TS-9

6. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

My JC-120 liked the Ethos.

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Boss - Blues Driver, Super Overdrive.

8. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

For this application the "Amp in a Box" pedals are very good. Menatone has lots of great ones, as does Catalinbread. Just my opinion, but I would suggest some of the other c-breads (Formula 5, DLS, SFT) over the WIIO or RAH WIIO. I really like the WIIO, but it's very hard/uncompressed/unforgiving...it works great with some tube compression to even it out, but a SS amp would probably work better with one of the others.

9. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I had good results with a Radial Tonebone Classic Overdrive/Distortion. With all the voicing switches, you are able to "tune" the pedal to the amp and get some warmth in there. I know some have proclaimed that tube does nothing - I am not going to touch that with a 10ft pole. All I know is that it seemed warm to me and it bonded really well with other overdrive units in front of it (i.e. stacking/cascading). But for me, when I went to a tube amp, all the voicing switches and features had to be dialed-back in order to stop it from imparting too much character over my tube amp's tone. In the end, I simply thought it as redundant.

To say that the Radial is redundant when using a tube amp is in itself quite a high compliment.

10. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

RIOT, RAT..the riot is killer like this