Recommend best inexpensive MFX to go in loop of my tube amp

Jchrisf

Silver Supporting Member
Now that I have found an amp that I am totally satisfied with (Spider V) I have been enjoying my tube amp for what it is. I would like to put a MFX pedal in the FX loop to control effects and EQ. I was thinking something like the new Zoom G3N when it comes out and then I could also have a looper that would maintain the tone of the looped guitar tone when I switch channels on the tube amp correct? Any other suggestions?

It would be cool if the MFX could also get the good 80's hard rock (Marshall) tones and chimey cleans I like on its own through my monitors if played that way.

djd100

Axe FX Ultra is great for FX only use. The Axe FX Standard as well.

Not cheap, though no longer expensive.

otter5555

Now that I have found an amp that I am totally satisfied with (Spider V) I have been enjoying my tube amp for what it is. I would like to put a MFX pedal in the FX loop to control effects and EQ. I was thinking something like the new Zoom G3N when it comes out and then I could also have a looper that would maintain the tone of the looped guitar tone when I switch channels on the tube amp correct? Any other suggestions?

It would be cool if the MFX could also get the good 80's hard rock (Marshall) tones and chimey cleans I like on its own through my monitors if played that way.

i use several different (cheap) mfx units in the loops of my tube amps. all sound fine.

i have used the g3 you mentioned, the g1on, the ms50g, my boss gt100, boss me 25, pod 2.0, pod xt, pod hd series (several) and others.

the zooms are the biggest bang for the buck imho. the fx all sound decent to me. the g3 and g1on both have useable drum trax and the looper built in.

the drums sync to the loops very well.

@ around $50 the g1on is the all time low buck champ.

i also have been known to use the amp models thru the fx return for different flavors of od/dist. the zooms have some decent models if you eq them to taste going through the tube power amp.

djd100

Funny that the OP didn't specify $100?

Zoom MS-70 CDR is a good choice if the budget is a low $100.

Cheap MFX typically have bad tone suck which effects tube amps with serial loops, though the MS-70 CDR is OK in this regard (even though it's FX quality pales in comparison to the old Axe's, which can be had well under $1000!).

Funny - Going from a $100 unit to $1000 unit recommendation. Only on TGP....

Jchrisf

Silver Supporting Member
i use several different (cheap) mfx units in the loops of my tube amps. all sound fine.

i have used the g3 you mentioned, the g1on, the ms50g, my boss gt100, boss me 25, pod 2.0, pod xt, pod hd series (several) and others.

the zooms are the biggest bang for the buck imho. the fx all sound decent to me. the g3 and g1on both have useable drum trax and the looper built in.

the drums sync to the loops very well.

@ around $50 the g1on is the all time low buck champ.

i also have been known to use the amp models thru the fx return for different flavors of od/dist. the zooms have some decent models if you eq them to taste going through the tube power amp.

Zoom vs Boss... which do you prefer? What is your favorite Boss MFX?

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i like my zoom g3, i bought a digitech rp360 to try out, and honestly i didn't like it as much as the G3, easier to use, and i think the sound is better.
i did like a couple of the distorted sounds on the rp360, but over all i liked the simplicity of the G3.....good luck!

otter5555

Zoom vs Boss... which do you prefer? What is your favorite Boss MFX?

for fx only i have no preference at all. either is fine.

if i plan on using the drives, i chose boss only because i love boss drives over any other :) the zooms are all use able too.

k9blek

I used an Rp1000 in my loop with great success and a Zoom G3. Both did well with little to no noise or tone change.

Pastafarian

I used an Rp1000 in my loop with great success and a Zoom G3. Both did well with little to no noise or tone change.

That is what I settled on after RP500, ME-50, G3, HD500, and a Mustang floor. The biggest reason was the routing capabilities. There's a lot to be said about being able to run 4cm if you like how your amp sounds. I have seen used RP1000's at GC for under 200 so I think that qualifies as "inexpensive". I think the RP1000 is a great unit sound wise too for FX only.

k9blek

I second the Nova System, It is pretty much designed for what you are trying to do

I had one at one time and liked it. I also had an RP1000 and liked it. Not sure why I moved on but I went to a G3 unit in the loop and then some dirt pedals in front of the amp. I just recently picked up an RP360XL because I'm now looking for the best option to run direct into the PA. Save my back a bit for a smaller project !

Trending Topics

Top Bottom