Recommend books for audio circuits?

Jonesey

Member
Messages
8
I've been tinkering with tube amps for a while and would like to really understand the circuit design theory. Can anyone recommend a good starting point?
 

TheAmpNerd

Member
Messages
1,056
Originally posted by Jonesey
I've been tinkering with tube amps for a while and would like to really understand the circuit design theory. Can anyone recommend a good starting point?
For Audio starting point:

Beginner's Guide to Tube Audio Design, Bruce Rozenblit.
Valve Amplifiers, Morgan Jones

For music instrument amps, I think most stuff is
more hands on.

Tube Amp Workbook, Dave Funk
The Ultimate Tone (series) Kevin O'Connor.

AND

The Classic NAVPERS 10087 Basic Electronics. 1955


That should be a start. A lot of folks here
might have some other suggestions as well.
There are a bunch of really great folks here.

If you start getting into Texts, some might just
suck the life out of you.
 

doctord02

Member
Messages
1,061
and when you are ready for the ancient tome of secret spells and incantations, see if you can find the RDH 4th ed - the Radiotron Designers Handbook. Print copies are getting pricey, but Radio Daze has a CDROM version for a reasonable price.
 

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
27,615
I second the AmpNerds recommendations for guitar amp books. Funks deals mostly with Fenders, and is quite readable and funny. TUT is a LOT more detail, more "out there" concepts and a harder read if you're not very technical. I also bought an Electronics Textbook by Schafer that has helped, although tubes only involve 1/4 of the book, it has helped me work thru some things I was having trouble with.
 

TheAmpNerd

Member
Messages
1,056
Originally posted by drbob1
I second the AmpNerds recommendations for guitar amp books. Funks deals mostly with Fenders, and is quite readable and funny. TUT is a LOT more detail, more "out there" concepts and a harder read if you're not very technical. I also bought an Electronics Textbook by Schafer that has helped, although tubes only involve 1/4 of the book, it has helped me work thru some things I was having trouble with.
Hey Bob, is Schafers book a technicians book or more for EEs? For Troubleshooting in general
Jame Perozzo's The Complete Guitar to Electronics Troubleshooting is a great work. However it only
mentions tubes en passant. But for all the other
stuff we have to deal with in amps it is great.
 

Wakarusa

Member
Messages
1,459
Originally posted by Old Tele man
..search the web for:

DARR, JACK. "ELECTRIC AMPLIFIER HANDBOOK,' Volumes 1, 2 or 3, all published by Howard W. Sams.
Great books, but good luck finding a copy (and if you know where a set is, I'll buy 'em ;))
 

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
27,615
Originally posted by TheAmpNerd
Hey Bob, is Schafers book a technicians book or more for EEs? For Troubleshooting in general
Jame Perozzo's The Complete Guitar to Electronics Troubleshooting is a great work. However it only
mentions tubes en passant. But for all the other
stuff we have to deal with in amps it is great.
"Electronic Communication", Robert L. Schrader (4th edition)
Mcgraw, Hill 1980

Sort of like I recal the Radio handbook but with more explanation.
 

Jonesey

Member
Messages
8
I'm fortunate to have a great local library system that shares books with other librarys. I've reserved several of the books that are out of print and should have them in a few days.
 




Trending Topics

Top