Recommend Budget monitors

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by chord123, Jul 22, 2006.

1. chord123

chord123 Member

I am a hobbyist and I have a 10'by 12' room bedroom to mix in. I use stand alone recorder, a Zoom 1266mrs. For monitors, I am using Hi Fi speakers 25 year old JBl speakers. I have a home stereo Pioneer Amp bought for $99 from Electric Avenue. I've read several places Hi speakers were not designed for mixing. I'm looking to buy a pair of Studio Monitors. Since I have the Pioneer Home receiver,can I use that with passive monitors? Or should I buy Active monitors? What monitors do you reccomend under $300? Should I buy a seperate subwoofer?
    What monitors do the the people on the recording forum use?

2. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

It's been a while since my mastering/recording engineer days, but of all the near field (i.e., small) monitors I tried and used, my favorites were plain old PSB Alphas. In fact, I still use them for my bedroom stereo system. Hopefully they're still being made. Following that, there were the Tannoys, but I wound up selling those after the PSBs.

With your receiver, they should be ok, and I don't really see a need to go active; I just don't know how your receiver will match up with speakers (that's not meant as a rip; I just don't know anything about it).

(By the way, if you're uncertain, passive speakers need a seperate power source, like an amp--which is part of a receiver--while actives have built in amplification. That's all).

But the general idea of having small monitors for mixing is to provide a reasonable reference for most stereo systems (but one that people with more discerning hearing can stand). So it doesn't make much sense to me to say you can't use speakers designed for home systems, particularly if they're good ones.

You may decide you still need to add a subwoofer, however, since small speakers don't have too much bass response. I used one when mastering, but not in the studio (because I could switch back and forth between the near fields and the big ones). Either way, you'll have to do some adapting whenever you changed monitors, since things will sound different.

3. EVT

EVT Member

I'm happy with my tannoy reveals, and would recommend them. They are a bit lacking in bass. But, you can get a subwoofer. I never did, but I have learned how to work with them. I listen to different cd's through them, and then it helps me to make adjustments to match up to it.

evt

4. BTO

BTO Member

If you can get your speakers eq'd fairly flat they should be ok for a bedroom studio set-up. It's fairly simple to do if you can find the right tools. You need something to generate pink noise through you speakers. (Pink noise is basically all audio frequencies going at once. You can get this from some synths.) Stick a mic where you sit to mix and run the pink noise through your monitors. Run the mic into a spectrum analyser...I'm pretty sure you can find a software spectrum analyser on the net. Eq your monitoring system until it's as flat as you can get it. Then listen to some music you are really familiar with through your monitor system to get a feel for how it sounds eq'd this way.

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I use a pair of Wharfedale 8.2A's, and sometimes a powered sub. I had buzzing from the Wharfedale's that I traced to the grills, and once removed, they sound great. My recording and mixing room is treated with traps, foam, etc, so the Wharf's are pretty flat in my room. They are a great budget option.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

BTO, there is a potential problem with equalizing the speakers to measure flat in a room that may have lots of acoustic issues: you're eq'ing for the room, but if the room is filled with comb filtering problems, standing waves, etc., the EQ settings may be way out of whack with reality in terms of the signal going to the system. EQ is best used as a tweak, not a cure.

I know you realize this, since you also recommend a reality check by listening to familiar music through the system, but for someone new, this solution can still be a bit confusing.

This is why many acoustic engineers, Russ Berger comes to mind, will tell you to get the room basically right before tweaking the system with equalization (he does use EQ on mains monitors after the room is constructed, when necessary).