Recommend dealers who will cherry pick their stock and ship

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Frank Prince, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Do you guys have any preferred dealers who will get you the "good" stuff off their walls sight unseen, or will let you cherry pick online or over the phone?

I'm interested in getting one of the Baja Teles, but I'm concerned that the quality seems to vary wildly, and we don't have a huge Fender selection here.

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

Dave's has done that for me. Actually I picked from a picture, and they inspected it for me and gave it the OK, twice, now.

No Fender selection in Omaha? I used to hang there back in the 80s & 90s and there were some pretty good shops, as well as in Lincoln.

3. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Who is Dave's. Link?

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

5. Thwap

Thwap Member

6. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Dve's is really nice.
    Not too far from there iin Chicago & the "North Shore" are (in no particular order)...
    1. Make 'N Music - Chicago (a nice boutique place but Teddy is pleasant)
    2. The Guitar Gallery - Highwood, IL (Teddy worked there before buy in Make 'n, and Frank the owner is about as straight ahead as it gets; does mucho eBay stuff and gets a great rating too).
    Get a copy of Vintage Guitar & make a few internet & phone inquiries.

7. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

I spent a lunch break at Make 'N Music when I was in Chicago for work. That is a SERIOUS candy store! I played a Suhr S1 Pro through a Fuchs ODS 30. :RoCkIn

8. Clam

Clam Member

I'll 2nd Wildwood. Bruce spent an hour at least with me on the phone, comparing different guitars and playing/describing them to me

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+100!! I've been dealing with Dave Via the mail for over 15 years now. He is the MAN.

10. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

guitarsale.com always dealt with Nate and have had great success on high end guitar purchases unplayed.

11. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

I've always found this whole concept to be a little strange. I mean, you have to ask the guy on the other end of the line for a "good" guitar? I would hope their DEFAULT action would be to send you a "good" guitar. Picking out a good one implies that there are bad ones, which begs the question: if you don't specifically ask for a good one, is there a chance they will send you a "bad" one? And if that's the case, doesn't that mean the dealer is shady to begin with?

In other words, a great dealer has no business sending you anything BUT a good guitar.

For what it's worth, I've had bad experiences with at least one of the names already mentioned in this thread and one other not mentioned where I specifically asked for a "good" one. In one case, my LP Standard required a complete fret leveling right out of the box and had hopelessly crooked tuners.

In another case, with a 2007 R9, one of these dealers sent me a $4800 guitar that had a chip in the finish and fretboard binding that looked like it was finished off with a hedge trimmer.

12. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1 on both, and FYI Frank's store is actually music gallery, not guitar gallery, and it's actually in Highland Park.

www.musicgalleryinc.com

I've done biz with Frank for ten years, he is a straight shooter, knows the product better than any other dealer I've met, and has great prices.

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

I think he means rather than order from Musician's Friend or GC, where they are just having some guy in the warehouse pick a box with the right number on it and ship it to you, that the store will do an in-hand inspection for you over the phone, answering your every question and being your eyes, ears and hands for you. Then if it passes the inspection, they, and you, can be reasonable sure you'll like what you get when you get it delivered. The only thing better is being there in person. Shops that do this for you are above #1 in my book. They can tell you the weight, whether the fretwork is nice, any finish flaws, etc. All the things you'd look at personally. I appreciate that kind of service from an online/phone/mail order dealer. MF will not do that. They send an order to the warehouse, and some grunt pulls one from the shelf and ships it to you, and you get what you get. AND, I'd imagine someone tells them to keep sending out that guitar that has been returned 3 times until someone keeps it.

14. justonwo

I guess my expectation is that any store hoping to compete with Musician's Friend better be offering this kind of service. If they won't talk you through the details of an expensive guitar over the phone, are they freakin nuts? It's their job. I guess most stores have jaded us with such a horrible level of customer service that even the most modest level of service receives accolades.

At any rate, for both of the experiences mentioned above I sent a many-step checklist to the store with things to look for. Binding work and finish work were on the list. Neither passed.

I've bought from stores all over the country, and not one yet has been able to go through my guitar checklist and deliver a guitar that passed. It makes me wonder if these guys really are cherry picking or just blowing smoke and "wallet picking."

15. Formvar

Formvar Member

You can`t go wrong with Wildwood or Dave`s.

16. krall

krall Supporting Member

Which store was this?? Since i'm planning to buy a guitar online one of these days, all input about where to purchase is appreciated..

17. justonwo

I think forum rules specifically ban talking about "deals gone bad." That's why I'm being vague about the details.

18. krall

krall Supporting Member

PM me and tell me which store gave you the problem..I'll keep that info to myself..

19. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Another vote for the guys at Wildwood Guitars. When I finally had the $$ to get an R9 I went to them (because of their large inventory), explained what I wanted (low weight but not weight relieved, and killer resonance and tones unplugged)

Working via emails and numerous phone calls with both Bruce and Steve over the course of a week, we settled on this one which has exceeded my expectations.

[​IMG]

20. justonwo

That's an amazing R9. Nice color and figure.