• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recommend good bluetooth earbuds for rock and metal and guitar related music?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I've bought 4 different pair of earphones in thr last two years and all failed Nad died in less than 4-6 months.
I take really good care of gear, music related, everything. Is it just that Bluetooth technology is so poor+

My latest are Marshall Mode II and they died in two months. Now, only one ear piece will work at a time. I'm tired of this and may go back to wired earphones.

Wired? It's a pain in the arse for working out at the gym but wireless earphones never last. Why is that?

Any suggestions?

Gclef

I had a pair of Sony buds years ago that were amazing for the 40 bucks I paid.

My last set were wired bose that lasted 3 years.

I currently use shure in ear monitor types. They are the shizznit!!

They fit well, sound great, and the best part is the wires are replaceable. Mine are wired currently, but the have a small wired bluetooth Bluetooth setup.

I mainly use them to sleep, and they don't stab or hurt your ears

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
$40 new? Do you recall the model?

If I do get another wet, I'll avoid active noise canceling since it adds an artificial sound. Wireless is already not as good as wired, but ANC, makes it worse.

That said, my wireless Marshalls sounded great, but they just wouldn't work for long.

I had $40 Optoma Nuforce Be Sport 4 wireless and they were durable and lasted a few years. On those, typically one ear piece will die. It's connected by a neck band wire which I think is part of what fails. Maybe the cheap ones last longer. Lol.

Every time I spend and get nice sounding ones, something fails.

What's a wired Bluetooth setup?

panther_king

Silver Supporting Member
I mean - there's no price range listed here, so it's hard to make a recommendation.

I would go look at https://www.rtings.com/headphones and look over their recommendations, and their test methodology. If you have an Apple device, Air Pods Pro are really, really good just for the enhanced functionality and performance in the environment. I've also heard pretty good things about the new Galaxy buds2.

If you're just listening to music, latency won't be much of a concern, but you'll absolutely need to be aware of that during video use; some are absolutely better than others in this respect. I'd be looking for Bluetooth 5.x in general.

In regards to modern ANC adding an 'artificial sound', there's been quite a few changes to how it's been handled over the last few years specifically, and a Hybrid feed-forward/feed-back adaptive ANC doesn't really compare to 'it makes white noise' style ANC that was on a switch in stuff like old Bose Quiet Comfort wired cans.

Last edited:

Sushi Box FX

Silver Supporting Member
If I do get another wet, I'll avoid active noise canceling since it adds an artificial sound. Wireless is already not as good as wired, but ANC, makes it worse.
I'll correct that for you, poor ANC makes it sound worse. My main ears right now are the new Sony WF-100XM4 and they are hands down the best sounding buds I've ever heard, and the ANC is amazing. Previously I was using Klipsch T5 and they sounded very good, but the Sony blow them away.

I will add that the Sony buds have the option of turning off the ANC and passing the ANC microphone signal to the buds for "ambient sound" mode, and it is eerily accurate. If I turn on ambient sound mode and pause my music the outside world sounds EXACTLY the same as if I weren't wearing earbuds. Super good microphones paired with super good processing.

Yer Blues

I bought a couple, but have had the best luck with Airpods. They haven't broke and have lasted the longest. They work good for walks, exercising, and stuff like that. At home I have AKG cans/headphones that I use, but they have a cord.

panther_king

Silver Supporting Member
I'll correct that for you, poor ANC makes it sound worse. My main ears right now are the new Sony WF-100XM4 and they are hands down the best sounding buds I've ever heard, and the ANC is amazing. Previously I was using Klipsch T5 and they sounded very good, but the Sony blow them away.

I will add that the Sony buds have the option of turning off the ANC and passing the ANC microphone signal to the buds for "ambient sound" mode, and it is eerily accurate. If I turn on ambient sound mode and pause my music the outside world sounds EXACTLY the same as if I weren't wearing earbuds. Super good microphones paired with super good processing.

I've also heard a ton of great things about the new WF-100XM4 - my only sticking point is that it feels they priced them where they are because Airpods Pro were in that range, but now that the APP have dropped under 200 the Sonys feel a little too high to me. Add to that the better balance and presence in the Apple offering, and I feel like it's tough to compete for $100 less.

I personally have the Bang and Olufsen E8, but they were purchased long before the Air Pods Pro even existed. Compared to the normal Air Pods it's no contest, and they have amazing latency. If I had to get a new set though, it's the Air Pods Pro without even thinking. I can understand people resisting just how ubiquitous they are, but when they're 'that good', it's tough to pick out the people who know what they're talking about from the people who got them as a fashion statement.

Last edited:

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
As far as price, I've spent hundreds over the last few years so I'm done spending a lot of money on stuff that stops working in a few months. So, I'll probably stick to well under $100.
I've spent $200 for earphones that stopped working in a few minutes months.
Tired of that.

I had Optoma BE 4 Sport earbuds for $50 and they lasted two years, before dying.

My wired Marshall's are over 5 years old and swm to last forever. I just hate working out with wired earphones.

I was hoping the Marshall Mode II wireless would be my answer. They sound killer but died after two months.

I use a Samsung Galaxy 9. I see Samsung has a bunch of earphones too.

My Marshall's had transparency mode which was cool. The mics allowed me to hear the outside world and I never felt the need for ANC.

That said, why do all the Bluetooth earphones I buy, end up dying? With the Marshall's, now only one ear piece works at a time. So frustrating.
Same thing happened with other brands.

Hence why I recently gave up and stopped using earbuds and began just listening to the cr@ppy gym music.

So I guess I don't have a need for ANC.

I think ANC would still impact the sound. Nothing beats good wired phones but it's not practical in many cases.

Last edited:

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member

Sorry - good point!
I though that all ANC added a fake quality to the sound? Good to know, thanks.
That said, mine have always been passive and never had noise issues as long as the fit is tight. In the gym, I like to be able to hear a little anyway.

I'd get over ear or on ear, but I sweat so much and hate something on my head while I train, lol.

That said, any of the expensive earphones I've bought, stopped working in short time, so I'll probably just get cheap ones so if they die, I won't feel like I spent money for nothing.

Good to hear the info from you guys though.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Side note, I tried air pod pros and didn't like the sound. The Marshall Mode IIs sounded a lot better in every way. Not even close.

Mine just died quickly. My daughter has them too and loves them and she's had them a while. She replaced he air pods with them. On e she tried the Mode II, she bought them and stopped using her air pod pros.

I hate Apple, so I'm not the best to comment on Apple.

I see. Alit of refurbished Sony WF-100XM3 earphones. Are they as good as the 4?

I can't see spending more than $60 for something that may fail on me. All my wireless earphones died in short time. :(

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom