Recommend HB-sized (P90, Ricky,Filtertron) for which of my "Teles"...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by RMosack, Jul 19, 2006.

1. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

I already have guitars that cover the Strat and Tele single coil ground as well as a couple with humbuckers for that sort of thing. To expand the palette, so to speak, I think it would be cool to try pickups with different voicings in a couple of my guitars - both of which are home-built Teles ready for standard humbucker-sized pickups:

A) mahogany body with maple cap; neck is maple with a pau ferro board; 25.5" scale

B) mahogany body and neck; rosewood board; 24.75" scale

I don't need either of these to have regular old humbuckers or single coils.

1) Which would be a better candidate for a HB-sized P90? Why?

2) Which would be a better candidate for a HB-sized Gretsch-style pickup (Filtertron, Dynasonic)? Why?

3) Finally, which would be a better candidate for something with along the lines of teh GFS Retrotron that's supposed to have a Rickenbackerish vibe? Why?

Oh yes. FWIW, I'm currently leaning in a few directions.

Given the short scale and exact same wood recipe as an SG or Les Paul Junior, I'm leaning toward Tele B as the one to get the P90 type pickup. I figure those woods and scale work for Gibsons in the past, so maybe this is the one to go with the P90.

Since I think of Gretsch guitars as being a bit twangier, I think maybe the Fender scale and maple (neck and body top) make Tele A a good fit for something Gretsch-like. Then again, this Tele has a heavy Les Paul-ish body, so maybe a P90 would be good here. Arghhhh.........

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I have a pair of the Gibson P94's in a thin hollow body and like them very well.
    They sound very fat and I can get the dirt from the volume knob on the guitar.

3. RMosack

That's great, but I don't have a hollow one.

Anybody have any possible suggestions with regard to the questions asked above?

4. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I see from the list above that you don't have a hollow one but honestly ,there are so many vairiables in choosing pickups for a guitar that my advice will probably be as good as any.Good luck with your search.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

That would have been my answer to your questions. I've always heard P90's love lots of warm mahogany around them. As for Tele-A having a heavier body, that may be good to give those Filtertrons some extra bass, bear in mind that their characteristic tone usually comes from a large, hollow bodied guitar.

I think that going the other way round would possibly lead to too biting P90s and too muted at the high frequencies Filtertrons.

6. RMosack

Thanks for the response. I think we're on the same page!

I thought of this, but then I figured that all of the old classic Gretsch guitars weren't hollow. They had some in their stable that were Les Paul-ish in their woods and hardware.

7. Creamy

Creamy Member

TV Jones makes some incredible Filtertron pickups... they will sound a little brighter in a solid body and they'll have that characteristic growl. Be sure that all your pickups match in output or you'll forever be tweaking your knobs when changing between pickups.

8. Roe

Roe Member

A) 2 tvclassics
    B) Fralin P92s

9. RMosack

Thanks. I guess it's looking like a Gretsch-like pickup for A and a P-90 flavor for B.