recommend low budget overhead mics

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jbird327, Aug 14, 2005.

1. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I am looking for a nice open sound to use on a drummer with many cymbals. No budget (I am trying to get the drummer to buy these) so something in the $200-300 range (for a pair). Recording with MOTU 896 and Cubase SX in a fairly dry sounding basement.

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Oktava mk012
    or
    MXL 603

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>recommend low budget overhead mics<<

No!

Ya gotta say "please."

4. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

I was looking at those oktava which look pretty cool, however, I saw this deal on a matched pair of samsons for like a hundred bucks or something. I couldnt be happier with them. Worth a shot at least.:dude

5. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I have a matched pair of MK-12's and i LOVE them. I've a/b'd them with a pair of Neumann KMi's and a pair of KM84s and the Oktavas more than held their own! Highly recommend them.

6. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I love cheap PZM mics for drum overheads. I've gotten good results with a radio shack (!) "boundary microphone" pzm. There are lots of other kinds, too. They're very clear and something about their frequency response does something to capture symbols really well. You can probably pick up a pair for really cheap.

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, those radio shack pzms were made by crown. Try to keep it on the down low though. I don't own any yet and don't want to pay some jacked up price just because they're suddenly everyone's secret weapon.

BTW, if you remove the radio shack badge, it'll open the sound up ten fold. :D

8. Igneous

One question: How do you position a PZM for OH's?

Actually, two: Do you use one or two?

9. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

You have quite a bit of flexibility in positioning them because they're omnidirectional...they were originally designed to be used at something like a meeting with a bunch of people sitting around a table and the mic is in the middle sitting on the table and picks up everything. You can use one or two...two is probably better. One of the cool things is that they're very resistant to phase cancellation, so you don't have to worry about that when using more than one. I've used one indelicately duct taped (they're a little tricky to mount since almost the whole surface area is mic (except for what would be the bottom if it was sitting on the table), but you can be creative...or get a special mount for it) to a mic stand and suspended about 2 feet above and in front of the cymbals in the center of the kit. If you could get one on either side (above the cymbals on either side...some people mount them to the ceiling) that would probably be even better. Lots of people like to place the mic at about the drummers ear level behind the kit...that might work well...since they pick up so much you can try lots of stuff. Good luck!

10. Igneous

yeah, Ive got a few here at work. They can be really sensative.

The sure beta 91 is mint for anything bass.