Recommend me 3 pickups for my new Strat-style Tenor Guitar

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EJTenor, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM.

1. EJTenor

EJTenor Member

This is a pic of the current guitar pickups.

Hi, im a new member, so if this is in the wrong place, im sorry.

I recently pulled the trigger on a custom made stratocaster 4 string Tenor Guitar. (yes i know that probably sounds weird). It's tuned just like the top four of a 6 string so its missing its bottom two bass strings.

The pickups that came with it re unsatisfying. I would like to recommendations to what you'd suggest I replace them with.

The maker said he had these pickups custom made by for him by a retired gibson tech. They are really not anything special. They appear to be single coils, but im not too sure. He said they were hand coiled. Ill leave a picture for context. THey are in fact 6 string pickups and they should be the same size as a standard single coil. So my options are wide open here.

Tenor doesn't have a lot of low end so whatever I choose i'd like it to really help balance out the sound and capture more low end also I don't have a lot of experience with electric pickups so forgive me if I sound "elementary". I'd really like this guitar to sing. I'm hoping that a local luther will be able to do the replacing and the soldering and all that. This custom made guitar wasn't put together all that well so im trying to bring it to life here. Whatever I can do to to make this thing sound the best it can i'll do. What do you guys recommend? It doesn't have to be the "best of the best" but it can be. What are your suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM
  2. TravisE

TravisE Supporting Member

You wanting strat pickups so it looks the same or wanting to go for something completely different?

Also, a tenor guitar should be tuned in 5ths like a tenor banjo. Look up that tuning. Otherwise, you might as well play a 6 string.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

The old Mustang Bass style pickup will at least look cool. You could probably get away with half a P-Bass pickup, particularly ones with blades.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TravisE likes this.