Recommend me a 60's British style Fuzz that works well with a wah before it AND cleans up?

jdel77

Got a Fuzz Face clone I built currently placed after my wah and, of course, it sounds like a$$ because of the mismatching impedence issues. Rather than put a buffer between the wah and fuzz, I'm interested to see what other 60's style fuzzes work well with a wah in front AND cleans up well from the guitar's volume knob.
I'm leaning towards a Park Fuzz Sound - any others?

El Phaco

Well it's not a FF and won't sound just like a FF, but the DOD Carcosa can nail wooly vintage tones and can sit at any place of your chain.

Edit : it cleans ok, not like my ex NKT275 White Dot, but it cleans.

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Park Fuzz Sound arriving tomorrow, so dig your questions.

I was impressed by the creamy, almost distortion type fuzz I heard by various video review stars. I don't have their chops, but can't wait to try the pedal.

PhuzzphayzZ

I have a Park Fuzz Sound arriving tomorrow, so dig your questions.

I was impressed by the creamy, almost distortion type fuzz I heard by various video review stars. I don't have their chops, but can't wait to try the pedal.
I'll be expecting a PARK FUZZ thread outta you soon young man!

gproud

Just put it before your wah...

Or the Dunlop Silicon one with the Buffer switch...

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Got my Park Fuzz today. It does indeed deliver some fuzzy, yet creamy, tones. Sustain up the ying yang if you want it too. I mean, go out and have a bite, come back, and it will still sustain, kinda sustain. :)

Very arse kicking pedal and I can see why folks love them some germanium fuzzies.

One thing: If you twist the tone knob toward the low end, the volume of the pedal will go up and you'll have to compensate with the volume knob to get back to unity. I don't like that, but it's a small complaint.

As far as it cleaning up well, I'd say my Function fx The Cannon cleans up a bit better. But YMMV. I like a little grit to stay when cleaning up fuzz with the volume control of my Strat and the Park is so creamy for a fuzz, it doesn't really offer that kind of texture when cleaned up. It's more of a smooth OD sound when cleaned up, so that may be what you want.

I put it before my dirt and found it didn't mix too well with my dirt after it. But again, YMMV. I didn't get to try it too long before I had to get back to my job. It may dial in with OD better than I had time for.

Still, I think this fuzz sounds best just on by itself. Really enjoyable tone like that, or even with a touch of compression.

I plan on trying it after dirt for that reason.

Last edited:

jdel77

Got my Park Fuzz today. It does indeed deliver some fuzzy, yet creamy, tones. Sustain up the ying yang if you want it too. I mean, go out and have a bite, come back, and it will still sustain, kinda sustain. :)

Very arse kicking pedal and I can see why folks love them some germanium fuzzies.

One thing: If you twist the tone knob toward the low end, the volume of the pedal will go up and you'll have to compensate with the volume knob to get back to unity. I don't like that, but it's a small complaint.

As far as it cleaning up well, I'd say my Function fx The Cannon cleans up a bit better. But YMMV. I like a little grit to stay when cleaning up fuzz with the volume control of my Strat and the Park is so creamy for a fuzz, it doesn't really offer that kind of texture when cleaned up. It's more of a smooth OD sound when cleaned up, so that may be what you want.

I put it before my dirt and found it didn't mix too well with my OD after it. But again, YMMV. I didn't get to try it too long before I had to get back to my job, so it may dial in with OD better than I had time for.

Still, I think this fuzz sounds best just on by itself. Really enjoyable tone like that, or even with a touch of compression.

I plan on trying it after dirt for that reason.
Great review, many thanks!

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
I have the chasetone 68 red velvet fuzz and it works great after a wah, it has decent clean up but I heard the new chasetone fuzz fella has even better clean up

jlo

Got a Fuzz Face clone I built currently placed after my wah and, of course, it sounds like a$$ because of the mismatching impedence issues. Rather than put a buffer between the wah and fuzz, I'm interested to see what other 60's style fuzzes work well with a wah in front AND cleans up well from the guitar's volume knob.
I'm leaning towards a Park Fuzz Sound - any others?
If you are happy with the fuzz you got, just put a resistor or trimpot on the input of the fuzz or the output of the wah. Cheap and easy solution to try before exploring other options

fuzz guy

A mate of mine gave me a copy of a Fulltone '69 that he built. I've never played the real thing, so I don't know how close they are, but it's the best FF version I've ever used.

Adjusting the "Bias" knob allows you to run a wah before it without issue and it cleans up really well. Plus it sounds awesome!

jimijimmyjeffy

A mate of mine gave me a copy of a Fulltone '69 that he built. I've never played the real thing, so I don't know how close they are, but it's the best FF version I've ever used.

Adjusting the "Bias" knob allows you to run a wah before it without issue and it cleans up really well. Plus it sounds awesome!
There is no knob labeled as such, just sn internal trim. You probably mean the "input" knob.

But yeah, that's worth trying. Same thing with univibe. You can try the output on a Deja Vibe or the input on a '69 after. Or you can mod one of your pedals. I'm not absolutely positive it's an absolutely perfect solution. The tech people can speak to that.

DonaldDemon

I would think the issues would be the wah and not the fuzz. This is what a fuzz-friendly buffer installed in the wah is for and it works great. Foxrox makes a drop in and so do others I'm sure, I have them installed in both of my wahs.

jlo

I would think the issues would be the wah and not the fuzz. This is what a fuzz-friendly buffer installed in the wah is for and it works great. Foxrox makes a drop in and so do others I'm sure, I have them installed in both of my wahs.
Technically speaking its the fuzz face that has the ‘problem’ of having a low input impedance. Thats why its ‘preferable’ to put it first in the chain. If you want the wah before the fuzz then you have to mod either the input of the fuzz or the output of the wah. The Foxrox buffer is definitely a good solution but I thought the OP didn’t want a buffer (or was that buffer pedal?)

Trending Topics