Recommend me a 6L6 "sleeper" amp

gtrmaestro

I have stuck on el84 amps for a long time.

Realizing that almost every single player who's tone that I really like are using 6l6 amps. Ford, Landau, Trucks, Herring, etc.
Maybe I've been going the wrong way trying to get the tones in my head out of el84 amps I think.

I'd like recommendations on sleeper amps, stuff I can pick up on a low budget that sounds great. Probably something that is just not good enough for cork sniffers. I was thinking the Hot Rod Deluxe but 60 watts is too loud for what I do. I'll never be able to turn it up enough to get it cooking like it needs to so it would have to be lower wattage then the DeVille.

I played through a 1966 Super Reverb that was just outstanding but I still have 5 kids at home so $2,000 for an amplifier is out of the question for me at this point in my life haha.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
HRD is only 40 watts. doesn't really matter since the volume knob goes from off to small-animal-killing loud really really fast. BUT they are decent amps for the price, and it might be your best bet in your price range. there are tons of mods too that deal with the volume issues and other less desirables in that amp.

hotmod

Obviously Fender amps come to mind, i would suggest the red knob period like "the twin".Very versatile amp although quite heavy and it can get really loud too. The red knob Fender amps are quite capable but are not that desirable. Super 60 is great too.

fenderpro

here's one...Pignose G40V Tube Amp. I see these on craigslist sometimes for low dough.
also, some of the Reverend amps like the Kingsnake.

zenas

If you like the Super Reverb there's the early 70s silverface that are going to be under a grand. A 1973 with the original CTS alnicos just sold by me for $500. Amp was all original sounded great but way over due for new electrolytics. So you have to factor in a tech.
(I should've bought it but I've already got a 73 SR)

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
The Landau HR looks to be great.

What budget? If you get up to around 1k-1,200 sometimes you can get a nice deal on something used in the emporium by one of the small builders.

joshofsorts

Silver Supporting Member
The HRD is a fine amp, but the Super Reverb is a good amount better. Find a used one and call it a day. I sold a reissue recently for $800, and I think that is the high end of the used market on the reissues, probably $700-800.

Resonance7

I had a HRD. Great amp, until it broke. I probably won't fix it either. Agree with it going from off to loud quickly, but it's not that loud!

I, too, vote for a silverface Fender. Reliable and affordable and amazing sounding...

jklotz

I've heard good things about those VHT 12/20rt's, which can be had for $600ish.

For double that, if you can do without reverb and trem, there seems to be a lot of hype surrounding the Dr Z Cure (that one may be 6V6's though, but to me, it's in the same ballpark as 6L6's, just a few less watts)

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa DC-5. Fantastic cleans. Lots of nice features. Kind of a do-anything amp.

swiveltung

Going from EL84's you might want to look at 6V6 amps for tone without the volume you noted as a concern.
FOr modern inexpensive 6L6 amps I cant recommend anything higher than a Blues Deluxe. Maybe too many watts for you but a few people I know who aren't into amp working or nerding have them and they are just toneful as hell.

See:
Unless they like rock & roll too!

He cited his kids as the reason he is not free at this time to spend $2000 on an amp. He did not say he needed a quiet amp to play while the kids were sleeping. SFTR is a good bargain. About $700 all day long.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom