Recommend me a Bearfoot pedal please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AlisterHag, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AlisterHag

AlisterHag Member

Alright, I am going to try one of the Bearfoot dirt boxes for the first time. I am thinking the Honey Bee or the Dyna Red Hot.

I play through either a JMP 2203 or an Orange RV100 with my guitars being an S100 or SG with humbuckers.

Any recommendations?

2. Sauron

Sauron Supporting Member

3. meterman

meterman Member

I used a regular BJF Dyna Red for years as my lead pedal and have spent a fair amount of time playing my friend's Honey Bee into an old Princeton Reverb. The Dyna sounds very Marshally to me and might be redundant with your amp, but on the other hand it rocks into a Plexi style amp and Fenders too. The Honeybee has a very cool old feel and sound to it, fat and grindy with alot of sag, and would be more of a departure from the sound of your Marshall (not as familiar with the Orange). Both are great pedals, obviously quite different so it really depends if you want a high gainer or more of a crunch pedal. Although to confuse things, the regular Dyna can do surprisingly good lower gain bluesy tones and the Honey Bee can be a really ripping lead pedal!

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

My fav's are the HBOD & the H.

5. koa

koa Member

I'd say a great place to start is the Dyna Red. Extremely dynamic and versatile. It's known for the high gain stuff but also excels at low gain. Next I'd pick up the HBOD to stack with. Yup!

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Dyna Red is the most versatile of the group. It is a GREAT low gain pedal with the gain turned down. Obviously crank it, and you have a screaming Marshall. The gain range is really amazing. There are no "bad" settings.

7. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

A hearty +1 to this!

:aok

8. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Theyre all good. To me the Bee is really nice with humbuckers. I cant get over how nicely it sounds when your playing lead guitar. BUT..... i plqy thru Fenders so i dont know if thats helping you. Do you play rythm or lead?

9. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I agree the Bee sounds awesome with humbuckers... amazing!
    It's sounds good with single coils too but soundsike it was made for humbuckers or a thicker sounding guitar.

10. coralreefer

coralreefer Senior Member

11. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

I've played through the DRD, HBOD, HBeest 3-knob, and Model 4H...

In this order, I liked:
    1. Model 4H - amazing, uncompressed OD/Dist. TONS of headroom and can really crank on the gain side of things. The Treble knob barely ever leaves the 8 o'clock for me, but that's because I run my amps somewhat sparkly clean.
    2. HBOD - truly the most touch-responsive OD I've ever tried. It's got a gorgeous low gain sound for single coils, and I think there's plenty of gain on tap for HBs. My main is a Les Paul, and the HBOD was really great in the small amount of compression and slight mid bump it added to my signal.
    3. DRD - I wasn't a fan of the higher gain tones I got from this box, but the lower gain stuff was INCREDIBLE! At about 9 o'clock on the Drive knob, you got some really great Marshall-like sizzle from this pedal. I just never cared for the shrill character at higher gain settings.
    4. HBeest - too much saturation for lower gain stuff. That being said, the new 4-knob version looks like it will be just what I'm looking for in that characteristic HBOD sound but with more gain available if I need it/want it (Yes, I've got one of these on its way to me).

Hope that helps. Bottom line: if you want an uncompressed, American growl, go Model 4H. If you want cranked Supro/gentle mids push with EQ controls for low mids or high mids and treble content, go HBOD (or for more gain, treble content, HBeest). If you want Marshall sizzle, go DRD. You honestly can't go wrong with any choice...

12. AlisterHag

AlisterHag Member

Thx for the input, I think I am going to try the DRD and the H first. Appreciate it!

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Not much experience with the Model H... but the DRD can do amazing low gain sounds, amazing high gain sounds and everything inbetween. I think it's often only thought of as a crunch to high (er) gain pedal. But it's OD/Lower gain sounds shouldn't be overlooked. It's easily one of the best all around distortion pedals on the market, IMOOC.

14. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

:agree+10000000000000000000000

15. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

Question for you Model H users/lovers.

Anyone compared the Model H (BF or BJFe) and EGDM? The EGDM was my goto BJFe in the past, and until Donner puts out the Bearfoot EGDM or I can get in line at Custom-Sounds, I was wondering how similar/different the Model H was to the EGDM? In my eyes, the Model H would seem like a EGDM with a RRB and/or SYOD stacked...? Plus it also seems that the Model H would get me some of the newer Noel Gallagher (live) toanz! It's all Hiwatt after all :p haha.

Just wondering if there is any light to a possibility of an EGDM in the Bearfoot Line soon? I did hear that vital parts were running low a while back...

16. clicktone

clicktone Supporting Member

DITTO! :aok