Recommend me a camera for recording gigs

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by televisual, Mar 12, 2015.

1. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

My wife takes great pictures of my gigs, but I've really been wanting some good video footage. She's not always there so I'd like something that even stationary would take great quality but also take fairly decent sound.

I'm pretty tech savvy but know diddly about cameras to be quite honest.

What are you guys using or what have you had good results from?

2. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

My drummer has a run of the mill Sony that does a great job. There are a lot of good cameras out there. Our bass player got a GoPro recently, but he hasn't used it yet. My Sweetwater rep told me that his band bought a bunch of GoPro's and mount them all over the stage and make videos from the different perspectives.

Do some homework. It's kind of like asking, "What's a good guitar?"

3. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

@Pablo - you're absolutely right about the "homework", the itch to buy one just sort of took over today, haha.

I've looked at the GoPro stuff, very high end in quality but also in price. If $400-500 is where I need to look then that's fine. I'm just not familiar enough with brands to even start looking elsewhere hence the thread.

...was hoping someone had a suggestion for something cheaper than the GP but with relatively similar playback quality.

4. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

maybe just get two cheap 1080p camcorders and a zoom h2 .. two cameras always look better than one... try to find the widest lens you can..

that is what we did here... this was quite a while ago... the tripod was on the stage so there is vibrations

5. Bradmeister

Bradmeister Member

I have a Canon Vixia. I bought it several years ago when the prices were high, but you can get the same camera with WiFi and other features for about $299 or so. It's a great camera, and the sound is pretty good, too.

My biggest problem isn't video, it's capturing the audio of the show. We play a lot of bar gigs, some of them larger, and the sound is always a pain when it comes to the recorders. I would work harder on getting good sound. If you have a few different cameras running, it's easy to paste together different angles, etc, and it would look pretty good. However, if you don't have a good audio source, there is little you can do about it, and a lot of that video is for naught!

Vibration is also a problem, too. I really wish they made shock mounts for cameras. I haven't found one yet. I'm thinking of cannibalizing one for a microphone to use with my camera.

6. Lance

Lance Member

Zoom Q3 (or 4) HD.

7. Baminated

Baminated Member

Only as good as your lighting . Q3 hd blows . wish I never would've bought it.
    You need something exceptional in low light. This requires $1000 - 1500 cameras

For good sound the beachtek preamp is good to attach to a decent camcorder

8. Reverb Kick

Reverb Kick Member

I use this little Alesis jobby to record rehearsals and shows. The video resolution is no where near go pro or zoom territory but they are Super cheap. Like could be found used for $50 or less I'd think. Audio is great, and that's really the point anyways.

[​IMG]

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm very happy with the audio from the Zoom Q4. I love everything about it but as stated before if you don't have a light source behind the camera or at least have uplighting on the band you are kind of screwed (unless you are playing during the day, outside).
    Here is a quickie using the Q4. As usual I forgot to raise the damn stereo mics built into the camera :( but even then, audio OK and video acceptable. This was our first gig with this lineup sometime last spring. At every gig I usually just setup a stand, drop the camera in (I have the mic handle that screws in so it fits into any regular mic stand) and let it rip.

10. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Curious to know as well. Low-light conditions seem to be a real challenge for most of the less expensive video cameras I've used.

11. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

Honestly I've found that the video/audio quality is pretty good on the iPhone's or Samsung G5's. I have a zoom Q3 but it's worthless for video unless your outside in sunlight and the audio is too compressed in low mode which it seems you have to use always. I have a new Cannon Sl1 that is awesome for video/audio and stills but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Here's some vid my brother took last year on his G5. The video is kinda crap because I exported to a smaller file size but the audio is intact.

12. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

This is a good answer. I often combine videos from cameras and cell phones with audio from my Zoom H2. This way you always get a consistent sound and can switch between multiple camera angles. I use Sony Movies Studio to edit. A couple friends took these videos with some good cameras (not sure of the brand) and I added audio.

13. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Also, my Lumia Icon phone does a pretty good job with both audio and video if you don't have to zoom in too much.

14. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Who else has tried the Zoom Q4? How is it in low light?

15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

16. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Go Pro is too wide in my opinion ... I mean, you can put it on a monitor or something but any further back isn't going to be so great. I would go with a Sony or Cannon HD - SD camera. I have a Cannon and it works great.

17. slybird

slybird Member

A friend of mine makes documentaries and films with a Cannon, some mics, and a small Tascam unit that mounts under his camera. I don't know the Tascam model number, but the sound is really good.