Recommend me a cheap practice amp for home use..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bikerdude2, Feb 1, 2006.

1. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

Right now, I'm thinking a Mesa DC-3 Combo, as I play mostly hard rock and metal. I'm sure there's lots of other low wattage amps out there I can gbuy right used, so any other suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

2. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

When I think Mesa/Boogie DC-3,I do not think "cheap practice amp",LOL!Actually,the DC-3 might not be a bad choice,as Boogies usually have excellent master volumes...like on my MKIIC+.I would guess that "small" is not a priority,as well.Btw,do you want to keep it all-tube?Is cost a factor?Really lots of good choices out there,though low watt Mesa's are often a good choice.
    :dude
    Ed

3. egodiot

egodiot Guest

Hi - go on ebay, get yourself a Line6 guitar pod to use on your PC,
    you wont be disapointed for around $100. Get the Riffworks add-on for $100 more, its worth it, it allows you to record, basic mix & master out to WAV, OGG. The instant drummer functions are corny sounding, but serviceable. The Line6 podxt live is pretty awesome, too, you can run headphones off it, hook up to your PC, interface w/ GP/RW, and leave the house w/ it. it's also one of the only damn ways to use the wah wah. i'm selling a podxt live on ebay right now,
    it's 'buy it now' $280. i gotta hit the road!

btw, go to http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffcaster

and hear for yourself!

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

That little Vox Brian May amp, the white one, is cheap (about $150 new), 10W, and sounds killer at low volumes.

--chiba

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

Roland Micro Cube

6. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Call me crazy, but i do the MAJORITY of my playing at home and use the practice time to tailor my tone for the times when our band plays out. I like having a smaller, quality version of my gigging amp for home practice. In my case, it's a Superchamp for home and a Carr (soon to be Tone King Meteor II) for gigs. If dialing in tone is an important part of the practice equation, cheap practice amps have never made sense to me. YMMV, of course...

Gary

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

or even the 30watt (?) cube.

the are VERY nice sounding and very cheap.

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

You looking for a small, low watt channel switcher that can get heavy? I know you're not a big pedal guy..

9. johnspeck

johnspeck Member

I've got a great little Crate 10-watt SS practice amp that is fine for bedroom/couch messing about. clean/dirty channels, reverb, etc..

PM me if you're interested, I'd let it go for cheap...

10. el34power

el34power Member

+1.

11. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Tech 21 Trademark 10. :AOK

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'd second Chiba about the Brian May Vox. I test drove that and it's got searing distortion on it (basically all it does). If you play metal, this might be the right amp for you.

I'd also second Gary F. about practicing at home with as close to your gig tone as possible. I usually play with moderate stage volume, so I can get close with my usual stage gear.

13. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

If you can live w/o ch. switching- i'd highly reccomend the Epi Valve jr. or Special. Both are 5 watt ,class A ,single ended el84 amps . The jr. is 8" with one knob and the Special has a 10"er with knobs for gain , volume , tone and a digital efx section (including separate digital verb).
    I have the Special and am currently running it thru a closed 1x12 green back loaded ext. cab . while I wait for an Alnico 10"er to replace the stock 10" tone clown . As is I'd feel VERY comfortable using it to play out in my Guitar/vocal jazz duo and am certain it would have the volume for the type of small intimate venues we usually play .For the several times during the course of a year that we play a hall or festival I'm certain that throwing a mic on the grill would be the only accomadation needed to fill any sized area with the incredible tone that this laughably "affordable" amp conjures.
    Although for gigs my tones are all clean , at home for fun I like to pretend to be EVH or Jimi or a whole host of more distorted players just for fun - and this amp can hit a useable approximation of any of these at low living room volumes , I prefer not to sacrifice the Class A responciveness to a pedal in front - but you couls easily throw a sd1 or almost any other od pedal in front to push it into heavier territory for home wanking.
    Just for fun I've run it full while setting the distortion at around one o'clock during set up in a temporarily empty coffee house and whipped off a few bars of "have a drink on me"(AC/DC) just to see how a more cranked and dirty tone would sound from this el cheapo and was absolutely flabberghasted (sp?) at the rich immediate tone - I'm not convinced it couldn't keep up with a fairly enthusiastic drummer even at only 5 watts if it was run through an ext. cab as I was doing at the time.So I would definitely cast my vote for this 200$ sleeper or its 100$ little cousin!

14. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

THE ULTIMATE HOME PRACTICE AMP! Sorry for yelling. i love mine. Most people who love theirs do too. Does overdriven Fender killer marshall and boogies

15. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

In a perfect world, I could get my Bogner Blue Channel in a little 1/12 Combo amp for around $600. :dude Keep em coming! Thanks for all the replies!
    Edited to add...The amp would also be used for a grab and go amp for open mics.

16. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Dude, The Fender Champ 12(If you can find em used, they're usually pretty cheap) and a good heavy dirt pedal can be a quiet, heavy amp. I used to go to rehearsals with just those two things, and the V-twin's blue channel was my rhythm, and the red the lead. The distortion on the Champ 12 is awful and ratty, but there's a lot more volume on tap, so if I wasnb't cutting through, I used it as my "Oh ****" button. My champ12 was $100 used. Right speaker, and a heavy pedal could get you there and keep the volume reasonable. Probably come in right around $600 after you assembled it all. I'll let you try mine sometime soon.

17. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Roland Microcube or a Line 6 guitarport for the computer. I have the latter and it's good for practing, learning. playing along with CDs and BTs. It's fun experimenting with amp/cab/effect models too.

18. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I went with a used Mesa Boogie F-30.