Recommend me a combo that can do all of this...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

So, to cut a long story short, I'm gonna sell my Bogner rig. I kinda can't believe I'm doing this, but seeing as I already live in an apartment, and I'm going to have to move to a smaller one in the New Year due to the people who shared this place with us bailing out early on, plus I have no car in London to move this beast around the city... you can possibly see my point?

It really does pain me to have to sell it however.

So, what do I replace it with? I have been strongly considering a Lonestar? What else could you recommend in a similar-ish price range? I'm gonna be picking some pedals to add to my FD2 and Timefactor and build up a nice board to go with this new amp.

I basically want great cleans and a big fat singing lead tone - think XTC for that one really. Something akin to the Bogner's Blue would be cool, since I can boost that into full on searing mode with the FD2.

I'm gonna be playing whatever it is with an EBMM Petrucci and an American Deluxe Strat I'm gonna be buying in the next couple of weeks. How about a couple of tones and players I'm into? Andy Timmons, John Petrucci, Mikael Akerfeldt/Opeth, John Mayer, Eric Johnson.

Have at it.

2. DavidE

DavidE Member

You'll probably want to consider weight. I've never lifted a Mesa that wasn't very heavy. They're built like tanks.

At least try a Line6 Spider Valve. Ignore the artist presets and check out the decade presets instead.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Not sure what kind of wattage you're after. Also, do you want the amp to do the distortion or your pedal board? Might help to hone in.

- When I lived in Montreal and didn't have a car, I had a blonde Music Man RD50 1x10 that just SCREAMED and did a pretty good job with the clean tones (for a single 10). These are hard to find and can be harder to fix, but they have a following.
    - D'lite combos look intriguing to me for a high gain amp (look at bnamps.com for clips). They are very compact and light from what I can tell.
    - For one channel el84 screamers, there's Buddas, AC15's, Dr. Z Maz18's etc.
    - OR - a POD fits on your pedal board and you can just play the PA!

5. arfalax

arfalax Member

+1 on the Buddas. My SD18 II combo is one of the lightest combos I've had and can just flat out scream with crunch and the cleans are pretty good too.

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

7. Brien

Brien Member

I'd look at Budda.

8. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Koch Twintone or Twintone II

9. grayeyes777

grayeyes777 Active Member

lonestar special is an amazing sounding smaller amp and it does have a good amount of clean headroom (while saving your back). the big lonestar is heavy beyond belief... but definitely my favorite mesa.

10. iaresee

iaresee Member

+1. Especially the II with it's extra gain stage on the red channel.