Recommend me a good non-TS, non-dumblesque OD.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ryan, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

The two categories I see thrown around for OD's nowadays are TS-type and Dumble type. What's a good OD that doesn't fall into those categories?

2. xroads

xroads Member

Zendrive.
    It has been described here as belonging to the Dumble-esque category.
    However, if you use the Tone/Filter settings properly, you can
    get a lot of different non-Dumble low-gain sounds out of it (it has a mid-boost, though!).

Xroads

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

4. rabbit

rabbit Member

Same question here. The problem is, that many od´s nowadays are supposed to be exact TS clones or are based on the TS circuit and thus have these certain characteristics.

Maybe the Menatone line of "amp-simulating" effect - like the KOTB, Dirty Blond or TBIAC - could fall into these categories but I did not try any of these personally.

5. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi,

most of my ODs do not belong to the mentioned categories.
    You might like: Timmy, Gainster, OCD.

Bye,
    Lars

6. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Ryan,

Eternity! Email me to come and play one of mine! It can be compared to a TS, well all OD's can. But it isn't even close to the same circuit. It has like 15 components on the board. A TS has 50 or so. The E also has less midrange.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim

9. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried a RAT on lower gain settings? I think it has a nice overdriven tone.

The Fulltone OCD also does a nice overdrive sound, though I think it varies a lot depending on what amp/speaker you play through.

Bryan

10. Ryan

Ryan Member

Hey Aaron,
    I'll let you know next time I'm back in T-Town. All your raves about the eternity must mean something!

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Cool Ryan...

Just make sure you email me, I never really check my Personal Messages...

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

PS. Ryan, the RAT suggested previously is a great one too. I've got a Keeley one. You need to hear it too. I've got 10 different OD/distortion pedals. My favs are my Keeley RAT, Tonebone Classic and the Eternity (my #1 fav).

13. Ryan

Ryan Member

Yeah, I'm looking at the Keely Rat. I just got a Menatone Red Snapper, and I can get it's tone on the Vintage setting of my FD2, so it's up for trade now... Here's my OD dilema: I haven't found one yet that I like as well as the tone of my amp cranked.

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"Here's my OD dilema: I haven't found one yet that I like as well as the tone of my amp cranked. "

I have the same dilemma...

The pedal that comes closest would be the Tonebone. But also when the amp is loud enough the Eternity seems to morph pretty well. Still though, I finally came to the realization that there's no way to get my amp tone with a pedal. It is physically impossible...

BUT, I've really learned to embrace the tonal variations that pedals offer. The pedals have great sounds in there own right, just not the same as the amp. Once I realized that, I stopped worrying about it so much.

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

What type of amp are you playing through? Does anyone market a pedal that is supposed to sound like it? A lot people comment that the OCD sounds like their amp when cranked.

Have you thought about using a Hot Plate or something similar so you can actually crank your amp?

Bryan

16. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

BJF Honey Bee. BJF Baby Blue

BJF Emerald Green

ah, and the Lovepedal Eternity.

17. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

MI Audio TubeZone. Great OD, versatile, from low to higher gain.

18. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

Menatone's TBIAC, WMB, and KK, among others, give great amplike feel without stepping into the tubescreamer/dumble arena.

19. HHB

HHB Member

Barber Direct Drive, sounds like an old Marshall

20. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Ryan, I see you live in Tulsa, I live near there. I have several different OD's, maybe we can get together some time for a mini od shoot out. I'd like very much to try some of the different pedals I hear mentioned on the forum. Interested?