Recommend me a good non-TS, non-dumblesque OD.

Ryan

The two categories I see thrown around for OD's nowadays are TS-type and Dumble type. What's a good OD that doesn't fall into those categories?

xroads

Zendrive.
It has been described here as belonging to the Dumble-esque category.
However, if you use the Tone/Filter settings properly, you can
get a lot of different non-Dumble low-gain sounds out of it (it has a mid-boost, though!).

Xroads

rabbit

Originally posted by Ryan
The two categories I see thrown around for OD's nowadays are TS-type and Dumble type. What's a good OD that doesn't fall into those categories?
Same question here. The problem is, that many od´s nowadays are supposed to be exact TS clones or are based on the TS circuit and thus have these certain characteristics.

Maybe the Menatone line of "amp-simulating" effect - like the KOTB, Dirty Blond or TBIAC - could fall into these categories but I did not try any of these personally.

itsLars

Hi,

most of my ODs do not belong to the mentioned categories.
You might like: Timmy, Gainster, OCD.

Bye,
Lars

rawkguitarist

Ryan,

Eternity! Email me to come and play one of mine! It can be compared to a TS, well all OD's can. But it isn't even close to the same circuit. It has like 15 components on the board. A TS has 50 or so. The E also has less midrange.

jokerjkny

foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim foxrox zim

M

Member 995

Have you tried a RAT on lower gain settings? I think it has a nice overdriven tone.

The Fulltone OCD also does a nice overdrive sound, though I think it varies a lot depending on what amp/speaker you play through.

Bryan

Ryan

Originally posted by aarondavis
Ryan,

Eternity! Email me to come and play one of mine! It can be compared to a TS, well all OD's can. But it isn't even close to the same circuit. It has like 15 components on the board. A TS has 50 or so. The E also has less midrange.
Hey Aaron,
I'll let you know next time I'm back in T-Town. All your raves about the eternity must mean something!

rawkguitarist

PS. Ryan, the RAT suggested previously is a great one too. I've got a Keeley one. You need to hear it too. I've got 10 different OD/distortion pedals. My favs are my Keeley RAT, Tonebone Classic and the Eternity (my #1 fav).

Ryan

Yeah, I'm looking at the Keely Rat. I just got a Menatone Red Snapper, and I can get it's tone on the Vintage setting of my FD2, so it's up for trade now... Here's my OD dilema: I haven't found one yet that I like as well as the tone of my amp cranked.

rawkguitarist

"Here's my OD dilema: I haven't found one yet that I like as well as the tone of my amp cranked. "

I have the same dilemma...

The pedal that comes closest would be the Tonebone. But also when the amp is loud enough the Eternity seems to morph pretty well. Still though, I finally came to the realization that there's no way to get my amp tone with a pedal. It is physically impossible...

BUT, I've really learned to embrace the tonal variations that pedals offer. The pedals have great sounds in there own right, just not the same as the amp. Once I realized that, I stopped worrying about it so much.

M

Member 995

Originally posted by Ryan
Here's my OD dilema: I haven't found one yet that I like as well as the tone of my amp cranked.
What type of amp are you playing through? Does anyone market a pedal that is supposed to sound like it? A lot people comment that the OCD sounds like their amp when cranked.

Have you thought about using a Hot Plate or something similar so you can actually crank your amp?

Bryan

Rollo Timbre

Menatone's TBIAC, WMB, and KK, among others, give great amplike feel without stepping into the tubescreamer/dumble arena.

Ed Reed

Ryan, I see you live in Tulsa, I live near there. I have several different OD's, maybe we can get together some time for a mini od shoot out. I'd like very much to try some of the different pedals I hear mentioned on the forum. Interested?

Trending Topics