Recommend me a good non-TS, non-dumblesque OD.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ryan, Oct 18, 2005.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm in tulsa too...

Ryan, me and Gary have done this before.

I'm down.

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

How about the Timmy pedal. Its got a fair amount of gain on tap that is usable through its whole range from clean to fully distorted AND its transparency is legendary. The good new is that its aound $100. The bad news is that you can only order one by directly calling Paul Cochrane and waiting 6-8 weeks.

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

You boys pick the time and place and let me know. I've got a couple of cool amps too. I will prewarn you, I'm a geezer.

4. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I really like the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. It's a JFET design and I find it very different from the other OD's I've tried. Great for a light OD or for pusing a borderline amp over the edge. Pretty inexpensive too. Very cool pedal!

5. Craise

Craise Member

if you're looking for different "flavor" go with the BJF stuff...
    Dyna Red - Marshall
    Emerald green - vox
    Honey Bee - fender champ

or maybe the Menatone stuff....
    these pedals are going for more of a "amp" sound than
    a pedal overdrive or boost sound...

:D

6. Ryan

Ryan Member

I'm down too; I should be back in Tulsa in a couple weeks. Think Tulsa Band will let us use their space again, Aaron?

The BJF pedals look cool, but I haven't got the scratch to experiment with them. I might have to pick up a Tonebone Classic...

7. Ryan

Ryan Member

I had a Hot Plate for a while...kinda regret trading it now. The problem with using it to crank the amp is that I lose too much volume when I roll back the guitar to get a clean tone. And the OCD, eh, wasn't thrilled with it..

8. Franklin

Franklin Supporting Member

I like the BB Preamp and the RC Preamp. If I could afford more gear, I'd have both!

9. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

What kind of amp are you playing through?

Bryan

10. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm sure we could probably hang at TB or we could crank it up at my house.

Email us when you know exactly when you're comming to town.

11. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

MI Audio Blues Pro, just bought one today and blows all the Menatone, T-Rex, Maxon and Barber stuff out of the water. I know because I A-B'ed all of them.

Next best thing was the Xotic BB preamp and although i haven't heard it live yet, the MI Audio Tube Zone looks very promising too.

12. Ryan

Ryan Member

Fender Blues Jr. with an Emi Swamp Thang and low-gain JJ's. Best I can afford right now. But someday, a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.

13. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

If you are after the EL84 sound, you might want to check out the Menatone Top Boost in a Can. I owned one for a while and thought it did a pretty good job of mimicing a cranked, chimey amp.

Bryan

14. Ryan

Ryan Member

So, ran up to GC today. I played through a Keely Rat and a Keely SD-1. Pretty much didn't like either of them. I guess I'm just not a Rat guy, and the SD-1 didn't clean up very well. Or maybe it was just a bad day for me, because I played through one of the new AC-30's, and I didn't like it at all. But the speakers might have needed breaking in... So, I'm thinking about getting either the new Barber Direct Drive or the Tonebone Classic. Any thoughts on those? I don't want a buzzy distortion by any means. The Tonebone looks more versatile, albeit more expensive...

15. BillyK

BillyK Member

My ToneBone Classic with NOS tube is still my #1 for a wide range of OD/Distortion, with MIAudio Blue Boy a close second. I play Strats/Tele/LP into vintage Fender amps. All other OD/Distortion pedals have been sold off for some time now.

That said, I love the sound clips of Alf's Mosferatu and Zendrive and I've got both coming. It'll be a interesting comparison!!

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Ryan, I think you're going to dig the Tonebone. It is very un-"buzzy". I know what you're talking about with the RAT, it is a little fuzzy and buzzy. As a lead tone it's great, you just have to hear it in a band mix. It's hard to do, but sometimes listening to a tone by itself isn't the best way.

Back to the TB, it is extremely versitile. The mids are there, which are missing from many pedals. It is more of a pre amp than anything. The gain goes from a good crunch, all the way up to high-gain-hell. Also the EQ controls are VERY active, in a good way.

My only complaint is that it is not at unity gain with low grit levels. This could probably be modified, just need to figure it out. Better get to the DIY stompbox page.

17. mprvise

mprvise Member

Hey fellow Tulsa folks! I too have some cool amps and OD/dist pedals and would be down for a get together. Keep me posted on the time/place please. Thanks! :dude

18. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I had the New Barber direct drive. It's not buzzy at all but has a very compressed feel that I didn't like. Also its heavy on the mids and I gathered from your original post that you were looking for something a little flatter. Here are some other options:

Timmy: Do a search. Its supposedly the king of the Transparent OD's

Fulltone OCD: Mixed reviews but still alot of love for this box

Boss OD-3: Really transparent for a mid gain box. Has plenty of lowend but some feel that its a little loose.

Boss BD-2: Probably the most transparent OD through the midrange I've heard yet. Cuts bass a bit and has a harsh treble past 10:00 on the tone dial. Keely mods make it better but I find the distortion fizzles and sputters as notes or chords decay.

Tonebone Hot British: Big, Expensive, versatile.

19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have to add a PS to my comments about the RAT. It has a nice way of melding with my amp when it's turned up 40%. Actually with the TopHat, most pedals work this way. It's the way that the amp compresses a bit.

Honestly I've been so obsessed with distortion and OD pedals, I'm burnt out on thinking about it. I kinda feel like, even with any short commings mine might have, I'll just live with it.

Very *un-gear-page* huh??

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"Hey fellow Tulsa folks! I too have some cool amps and OD/dist pedals and would be down for a get together. Keep me posted on the time/place please. Thanks!"

Cool mprvise! I'm down any Saturday morning! It's up to ryan comming to town.