• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recommend me a good octavia fuzz

bluesoul

Hartman 8va. I liked it better than the Chicago Iron...better price and it has a feature I love...trim control. It works like rolling your volume on the guitar down. Highly recommend.

ruger9

Hartman 8va. I liked it better than the Chicago Iron...better price and it has a feature I love...trim control. It works like rolling your volume on the guitar down. Highly recommend.
Hartman wasn't fat at all... way to thin sounding for me.

Angry Fuzz, discontinued but can be found used, works in a pinch... I liked it better than the Hartman, liked neither as much as my Experience.

I would still love to try a Fillmore or a Face Lift (fuzz face + octave)..... in the meantime, I have a COB, but would also like to try an Octavio (wedge) and a CI.

valcoholic57

I have an Elitetone Fillmore thunder I got about 2 years ago that I am very happy with. Unfortunately I just looked them up and they are on wait until 3/20. I have played the Fulltone's and they are quite good as well.

ruger9

I was happy with the Homebrew UFO.
Seems like alot of people like this one, yet it's kinda' "off the radar"... will have to look into...

Altho I'll tell you this... I can't imagine an octave fuzz sounding better than this...

(FF to 27:12)

BluesHarp

HECK of a deal!! I agree.. im never around when a deal goes down like that.

I recently got a used Prescription Electronics Experience for only $143... the octave is magnificent, and the swell feature is really cool.
Well.. anyways, Ive always wanted to try a foxx style fuzz/octave pedal and ive learned this is somewhat based on that circuit.

I just sold a couple pedals and the paypal money was burning a whole in my pocket.. after all, thats PEDAL MONEY!! :banana

So.. I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these just now. :jo The backwards swell feature did it for me!!! Im a HUGE hendrix fan, and he has always been my favorite guitar player but I flat LOVE to throw on a old hendrix vynyl record, sit back, close my eyes, and think about the 70's.

Cant wait till I get it in!

mg550

If you know anyone who builds pedals, you could build a Madbean Retrograde, which is a Tycobrahe Octavia (Chicago Iron Octavian) derivative. It sounds just like that KWS video. It's an awesome pedal. I built one for myself for around $40 if I remember right.

ruger9

HECK of a deal!! I agree.. im never around when a deal goes down like that.

Well.. anyways, Ive always wanted to try a foxx style fuzz/octave pedal and ive learned this is somewhat based on that circuit.

I just sold a couple pedals and the paypal money was burning a whole in my pocket.. after all, thats PEDAL MONEY!! :banana

So.. I pulled the trigger and ordered one of these just now. :jo The backwards swell feature did it for me!!! Im a HUGE hendrix fan, and he has always been my favorite guitar player but I flat LOVE to throw on a old hendrix vynyl record, sit back, close my eyes, and think about the 70's.

Cant wait till I get it in!
Well, imo, the fuzz isn't usable on it's own, it's WAY too bass heavy, but the octave and swell effect really are something else on this one. Even if I find a 2-in-1 (fuzz + octave) that I like better because the fuzz is usable on ot's own, I may keep the Rx anyway,just for the octave and swell.

Another cool one I just got, the SIB Nick Nitro. The fuzz and octave are independent of one another. The fuzz is alot better than the Experience, but the octave, which I understand is a Tycobrahe thing, isn't quite as good. HOWEVER- if the fuzz was usable by itself (it's still a little woofy and bass-heavy for me), it would be OUTSTANDING.

The other thing I'm currently doing, is using the Rx COB before my Keeley Fuzzhead. It takes up more space, but they are independent of each other, and the fuzz is great.

Might have to check out the Fulltone Ultimate Octave, HBE UFO, and at that point, if I haven't found a 2-in-1 I love, I'll just keep using the COB or drop the $$$ on a Chicago Iron.

ruger9

But I really miss the bloom of the CI.
Just wanted to mention- the COB has this bloom too... firstly, you can blend the dry and octave tones however you want... then, you hold a note with some vibrato, and as it sustains it blooms into the octave. Very musical. The Rx Experience does not do that. The octave is the most musical I've heard, but it's just there- bam!- no bloom. Very sweet tho.

BluesHarp

Bass heavy, eh? That doesnt sound too good. Perhaps I could get it modded by the builder to have a tighter low end..

The swell is REALLY what sold me.. octave, fuzz, and backwards in one pedal?? You gotta be joshin me! ;)

Im using roger mayer octavia after all my fuzz pedals now, and it sounds very very musical. The buffer is very transparent and mild.

Fulltone Ultimate Octave is the foxx fuzz type I actually wanted to try next, but no swell.. which is something I would have to buy in another delay pedal.. and thats another ball of wax.

Would love to have the COB with the added swell and then I could run my sunface into that..

Well, imo, the fuzz isn't usable on it's own, it's WAY too bass heavy, but the octave and swell effect really are something else on this one. Even if I find a 2-in-1 (fuzz + octave) that I like better because the fuzz is usable on ot's own, I may keep the Rx anyway,just for the octave and swell.

Another cool one I just got, the SIB Nick Nitro. The fuzz and octave are independent of one another. The fuzz is alot better than the Experience, but the octave, which I understand is a Tycobrahe thing, isn't quite as good. HOWEVER- if the fuzz was usable by itself (it's still a little woofy and bass-heavy for me), it would be OUTSTANDING.

The other thing I'm currently doing, is using the Rx COB before my Keeley Fuzzhead. It takes up more space, but they are independent of each other, and the fuzz is great.

Might have to check out the Fulltone Ultimate Octave, HBE UFO, and at that point, if I haven't found a 2-in-1 I love, I'll just keep using the COB or drop the $$$ on a Chicago Iron.

ruger9

Would love to have the COB with the added swell and then I could run my sunface into that..
Have Mike change the damn power polarity to center NEGATIVE... and NOW YOU'RE TALKIN!!! I only gave up my most excellent Sunface NKT275 Red Dot because of the reverse polarity issue- I plugged it in TWICE before remembering, didn't hurt anything, but not an issue I want to deal with (and I have heard making the fuzz reverse polarity "isn't a big deal" from another builder/modder...)

Actually, my Keeley Fuzz Head is the closest thing I've found to that Sunface... and it was VERY close. No joke.

Oh, and you run your fuzzes BEFORE your octave? I've read everyone say the reverse is better? (of course there are no rules)... I run my COB into my Fuzzhead, just seems to work better that way.

BluesHarp

You need to try it both ways.. but for me, I like my guitar pickups to only see the fuzz circuit, and with the octave after the fuzz, its pushed a bit and sounds more defined and on top for my tastes.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Have Mike change the damn power polarity to center NEGATIVE... and NOW YOU'RE TALKIN!!! I only gave up my most excellent Sunface NKT275 Red Dot because of the reverse polarity issue- I plugged it in TWICE before remembering, didn't hurt anything, but not an issue I want to deal with (and I have heard making the fuzz reverse polarity "isn't a big deal" from another builder/modder...)
? You only need to worry about daisy chaining it with other effects; you don't need to run a reverse polarity power source with the Sunface. I hate using One Spots or similar anyway, but if you use a PP2+ or other isolated power source, you just plug the Sunface in like any other pedal. I don't really see the problem.

Tito83

As far as I know that are two more common types, Tycobrahe and Foxx Machine clones. I prefer the Tycobrahe thing, it has this ring mod-ish thing going that is really fun. Both you listed are, to my knowledge, Tycobrahe clones, so is the Roger Mayer, the Chicago Iron is the original thing, current is a reissue, but the same as the old ones I think. The Fulltone UO is of the Foxx Machine type, not really my thing. For the Hendrix stuff the Tycobrahe is the one to get IMO.

ruger9

I sent the Nick Nitro back- too bassy for me on the "just fuzz" part... exchanging it for an HBE UFO... we'll see....

After that, I'll probably give the new MXR La Machine a go, and then maybe the Dunlop wedge, and after all that, I'll probably do what I should have done in the first place- buy a Chicago Iron and be DONE with it :crazy

When will I ever learn, at this point in the gear game, I should just go STRAIGHT TO THE TOP first...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom