Recommend me a guitar with both humbucker and single coils.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gamle John, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

I have a US Fender Telecaster and a Gibson Les Paul Standard. In my opinion the Tele represent the ultimate single coil sound, and the LP the ultimate humbucker sound.

In my band I do funky rhythm (single coils) and rock chords (humbucker) but I have no time for switching guitars.

I would have been good if my Tele had a humbucker in the neck position, but I don't want to butcher this fine instrument. And since I only have these two guitars I would like to buy a different guitar.

This is what I am looking for:

A guitar that sounds and play nice that has:

A single coil pick up - preferably in the bridge position.
    A humbucker pick up - preferably in the neck position.
    Fixed bridge - I don't like tremolo.

What are my options?

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Take the pickguard off your Tele. There's a good chance - as it's a US Tele - that it's routed to handle a bigger pickup. Then you could just get a pickguard from Warmoth or something and fit a humbucker in there.

There's a myriad of humbucker-sized P-90 pickups out there that you could drop into the bridge of your Les Paul. Sure, not a true single coil, but you could find one, or have one custom made, that fit the bill as close as possible.

Fender has quite a few Teles now that are reminiscent of the 70s - including the Tele Custom, which is single in the bridge, bucker in the neck, and a hardtail. Check out www.fender.com and do some digging around :)

--chiba

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

The Terry C. McInturff "Terrycaster" fits your search criteria. They are wonderful guitars!

4. oldguitar

oldguitar Member

Maybe a G&L ASAT Bluesboy?

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

A bluesboy would do it. I have one for sale. Send a PM if interested. Lots of guitars have coil taps so you can run only one coil of a humbucker if you want.

6. aroman

aroman Member

The Tele and LP made love and had a PRS McCarty.

7. justicetones

justicetones Member

I took a US Lone star strat and switched the pickups out. It came stock with a Hum and two singles. The stock pickups were good but I wanted sweetness. Pretty easy to find used on ebay

8. jbo76

jbo76 Member

Just picked up an Anderson Atom from Dana over at Mannys in N.Y. Mine came with two humbuckers(H1-A neck & H2+A bridge), incredible! I did try out an Atom with bridge humbucker and two mini's which sounded great. Think single coil with a bigger, thicker sound. Hell I might even order one like that for my B-Day.

9. mnsixstring

mnsixstring Member

+1 for the Bluesboy. I have the chambered one (no f - hole), and I love it. I bought it with the same intentions, a great live guitar IMHO. The Seth Lover in the neck is very sweet and matches up nicely with the bridge, so no volume jumps when switching.

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Early to mid '70's Fender Tele Custom. I have also seen a couple Suhr Teles with neck humbuckers.

11. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

12. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The Dean EVO's, were designed (by Chapin) to be the evolution of the Les Paul and Tele. The Deluxe and Premium models, are handmade, and have splitable humbuckers. They cover a Les Paul sound well, but are not as bright as a Tele. They stopped making them in early 2004, but you can find them used, in the 400 to 600 dollar range. At that price they are a steal. I often use an EVO as a backup for my G&L ASAT Classic.