Recommend me a Klone

JDaniels

Hey fellas, looking to add a Klone to my board to go after that smooth Keith Urban type lead tone in songs like Stupid Boy. There's just so many out there in lots of price ranges I'm just curious where I should be focusing more of my attention.

I want it to be in a smaller enclosure like Boss size at most, and I'd like it to be readily available on the used market at no more than $150.

What should I be looking for? Thanks fellas.

jjones

I agree that the RYRA is the best I've tried but I know it's not the size you want. Check out the PCE III. There is one on reverb for $150.

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
I hear Rock Your Repaired Amp is the ticket: I have about 2 weeks until mine arrives, fingers crossed.

I shall wait and see....

coltonius

Señor Member
I recommend the Mythical Overdrive (or Lil MO)- 1N34 diodes for stock Klon and OA126s for additional headroom. It's the cat's pajamas!

The Wampler Tumnus is also a great choice if size is a factor.

JDaniels

Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll take a look at the Lil mo and the Tumnus. How do they compare to the Soul Food? My buddy had one and it's the only thing I have to compare to at the moment.

I have an FD2 and an 808 on my board right now and for country and P&W I'm thinking of bumping the 808 in favor of the Klone which is where the size restriction comes in ad id really like to keep the FD2 in the mix, or would that be redundant with the Klone.

Imperial_Tone

All things with a Maple Cap
Since space is an issue, the Tumnus is a great klone. A little bigger but still one of my favorite klones is the Arc v2. If you want to end the search just get a KTR, its worth to have in the collection as it is true Klon to judge all the klones.

coltonius

Señor Member
Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll take a look at the Lil mo and the Tumnus. How do they compare to the Soul Food? My buddy had one and it's the only thing I have to compare to at the moment.

I have an FD2 and an 808 on my board right now and for country and P&W I'm thinking of bumping the 808 in favor of the Klone which is where the size restriction comes in ad id really like to keep the FD2 in the mix, or would that be redundant with the Klone.
To me, the Soul Food sounded thin and noisy, but not in a good way.

Kylote

The Lil MO is a great option because the 2 diode sets sound quite different to me. Actually bought it to be my klon klone but actually prefer the 126 diode set (which is the non klon one). So that gives it a leg up on the others since it is both an excellent klone with another great, distinctly voiced overdrive as well.

jimijimmyjeffy

Happy with a real Klon KTR. Has all the magic, all the functions, does all the things it is reputed to do and more.

Bigger than a Boss but not too big. Worth the reasonable price. Can choose buffer or true BP.

Liked demos of the Tumnus otherwise, if you must minimize size.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I know there's hate... But pce makes an epic klone big and Mxr sized. I've had 4 and no issues. Also dig the archer. Haven't had a tumnus yet! But I love Wampler stuff so I bet it's awesome.
Also I have access to a silver and gold horsie klon... And I judge them off of those. The jhs and big pce sound very dang close.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I know two Klones in a small enclosure that stand out in terms of sound quality. Both were already mentioned in this thread.

Chellee Ponyboy

Rimrock 'Lil MO

(Lil MO is similar to the big brother. Just the box is different afaik)

Both pedals are a tad pricier than your upper limit but they worth the money for sure. Any of them is a safe bet.

Last edited:

Trending Topics