Recommend me a matched quad of EL34's for Marshall 1959

Loop-Master

Need a little help. I haven't bought tubes in years but one blew on me on my stock 1959 Handwired Marshall and I am at a loss what is good nowadays as a replacement set.

Mullard? Tung-sol? Ruby? JJ? etc?

Don't need NOS but maybe just some with higher than normal headroom? I don't use the gain of the amp but rather set it clean and use pedals.

Thanks for the recommendations in advance.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Of the new issue EL34s, I find the Mullards to be very "musical". Very nice sounding tube. If I want headroom/stout/balls, I go with NOS Siemens/RFT.

Polvo

Silver Supporting Member
I like the JJs E34Ls as well but I really like their 6Ca7s, been using them for a couple of years now, same set.

ken374

I used Tungsol,EH and liking the Rubys they seem to have a bit more growl :) plus a 6 month warranty

Geetarpicker

I've been running Tung-Sol EL34B tubes in my 1968 Marshall Superbass 100 for a couple years now without any issues. I like the tone of these better (at least in this particular amp) than the reissue Mullards, JJ and EH tubes.

sickboy79

New production, I like the JJ standard EL34, not to be confused with the E34L. Running them in my 1959 SLP RI at the moment. I also really like the EH EL34. To my ears, it sounds very much like a RFT/Siemens when pushed.

I also hear great things about the new RI Mullards and Svetlana but, I don't have much experience with either.

Sean French

Yes they are.

I'd recommend four regular JJ EL34s
I did neglect to clarify the JJ EL-34. Not the L version. Thanks for the reminder.
My "GRAIL" JMP 2204 was delivered to me with the standard JJ EL-34. They sounded great.
However , I already had a pair of double halo getter Blackburn Mullard XF2 EL-34s for the Marshall.
As well as a trio of Blackburn ECC83s.
I have to give props to the JJs as they are very close sounding to the XF2s.
Still have the JJs for spares.

greatmutah

I've been running Tung-Sol EL34B tubes in my 1968 Marshall Superbass 100 for a couple years now without any issues. I like the tone of these better (at least in this particular amp) than the reissue Mullards, JJ and EH tubes.
I have these in my MetroPlex. First thing I noticed of these compared to the Mullards it first had was a slightly bigger low end and more top end presence. I've come to love these tubes now.

easyed

Gold Supporting Member
Some time ago, when I had a MusicMan 112-Sixty Five RP, it seemed that the difference between 6CA7's and EL34's was about the same as the difference between a 12AX7 and an ECC83. The printing.

Per The Tube Store website, "Although not identical, they are close enough to be considered direct substitutes in almost any instance."

Finding a matched quad of NOS tubes will be a challenge unless your wallet is fat; maybe even then.

For that amp, I got a pair of E-H 6CA7, because that was what was on the tube chart, and they worked well enough. I've been happy with the JJ 6V6 tubes and have yet to have a failure, but I haven't tried any other JJ power tubes. I've read reviews of JJ's that go from great to lousy. I have some TAD 6L6's for my Super Reverb and I've been very happy with them - even though I know they are Shuguang's, I think TAD does a pretty good job of specifying the performance and then testing the tubes to verify - German engineers, eh?

Polvo

Silver Supporting Member
Some time ago, when I had a MusicMan 112-Sixty Five RP, it seemed that the difference between 6CA7's and EL34's was about the same as the difference between a 12AX7 and an ECC83. The printing.

Per The Tube Store website, "Although not identical, they are close enough to be considered direct substitutes in almost any instance."

Finding a matched quad of NOS tubes will be a challenge unless your wallet is fat; maybe even then.

For that amp, I got a pair of E-H 6CA7, because that was what was on the tube chart, and they worked well enough. I've been happy with the JJ 6V6 tubes and have yet to have a failure, but I haven't tried any other JJ power tubes. I've read reviews of JJ's that go from great to lousy. I have some TAD 6L6's for my Super Reverb and I've been very happy with them - even though I know they are Shuguang's, I think TAD does a pretty good job of specifying the performance and then testing the tubes to verify - German engineers, eh?
I disagree

Trending Topics