Recommend me a neck humbucker for my Telecaster.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by green72, Sep 15, 2008.

1. green72

green72 Member

The pup in there is stock, and it's kinda muddy, and has gotten noisier I swear. I DO like the bell-like Tele sound, and it has that, but I'd like something with more clarity, glassiness, ...but doesn't lose the fullness and bell tone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. ptecat

ptecat Member

:munch

I am interested too. I have some gig money burning a hole in my pocket. I played a G&L Bluesboy with the Seth Lover that sounded really good but I did not care for the neck radius and did not want to special order.

I want to try a bucker/Filter 'Tron/P-90/Fralin P-92... Well, I guess one can get carried away.

Sooo, let's hear from the experts!

3. green72

green72 Member

I heard the SD Seth Lover is pretty good, but I'm curious what else there is.

4. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I put a WCR Crossroads with A2 in and really like it!
    Great for coil tapping also.
    It ain't goin' nowhere!
    Highly recommended.

5. omboy

omboy Member

I have a "Telebucker" by Zhangliqun on the way. . . I'll let ya know how it works out.

6. baimun

baimun Member

7. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Lollar Mini hum. Make sure yu swap out to 500K pots. This is a must have with a humbucker. You can ground a 220K resitor for the bridge to get it to see roughly 250K. These are very warm and clear buckers. See my website for a tele with one in it on the YouTube demo.

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

Mini-hum or if you get a full-sized one, find one that is underwound a little. Lollar, Fralin, lots of guys will make one of those for you.

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

10. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

For a tele build I'm looking at either a minihum or a Fralin P92. If anyone has compared these, I would love to know your opinion.

11. KRosser

KRosser Member

My personal fave is the Lindy Fralin Unbucker, which is what I have in the neck of my Saul Koll Tele

12. rcl

rcl Member

Will Boggs is making mini hums. Ordered a set of Habenero mini buckers(3) for my tele-bird/fire-caster (Baker B3 Phoenix). Don't care for the ceramic Dimarzios that are in it.

13. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

+1 on the minis. It'll give you a nice, glassy tone that's not out of the "normal" Telecaster range, and they look nice too. I just went back to my Kent Armstrong mini-humbucker after a flirtation with EMGs. I really like the EMGs too, but they're at the clean sweet end of Tele sound, and I needed something more at the dirty tough end of the spectrum. The mini makes a VERY flexible neck pickup.

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i've got a P-90 in the neck of my tele. the guitar previously had an SD '59 and it was too syrupy for me. the P-90 balances really well with the SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge. it doesn't sound like a traditional tele, but then that's not really what i was going for.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Infragreen,

Pay attetnion to the matchup between the bridge pickup and the neck. There is a big difference in volume

16. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Suhr SSV is great in a Tele neck. It works wonderfully with a Dimarzio VV Hot T bridge.

17. snarkle

snarkle Member

Another vote for a mini-humbucker of some kind...a great match with a good Tele bridge pickup.

I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan unit, but my personal experience was with a ’70s Gibson mini-hum that sounded great...I think these can still be found fairly inexpensively.

18. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Ive gone through ALOT of neck buckers for my Rocketfire tele and I am BLOWN AWAY by the GuitarForce Rebel I PAF. GREAT clean tones and overdrives beautifully. Not muddy at all! I am seriously in love with the tones Im getting out of it. Whats cool is Kevin, at GF, custom winds for your application.

Check him out. He's here on TGP.

c

19. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I have a SD Phat Cat in the neck of one Tele paired with a SD Jerry Donahue lead, and a SD SM-3n mini-HB neck paired with an Antiquity I flatpole lead. I've also played a superb Fender CS Tele with a SD 59 neck and Nocaster lead, and I used to own an American Series HS Tele with a stock Atomic II HB neck and SD Hot Tele lead. All of these combos sound good. The Fender CS Tele sounded the best at the neck and middle, but the 59 overpowered the Nocaster lead. The other sets match up pretty well in terms of relative volumes. My favorite seems to vary day by day.

20. teletroy

teletroy Member