Recommend me a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by UconnJack, Sep 20, 2005.

1. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Greetings.

I've been through too many amps lately. My cover band does classic rock to funk to blues to modern rock. Cleans are important to me. Channel switching OK. 50watts max. Just sold my 100w monster head....way too much for me.

I'm looking for a versitle head that might fit the bill. 1-1.5K price range. Running through an Avatar 2x12 (Governor/Wizard) for now.

I prefer to get my gain from an amp where possible.

Considering:

VHT
    THD Flexi
    Mesa (Non Rectifier)
    Dual amp set-up with my 67 Allen Bassman.
    Vox ToneLab SE (in front of above amp)
    TB Hot British Pedal with above amp...

Appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    UJ

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

3. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

crate v30h... thats on my list to try, supposed to be good buy..$550

4. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

The Orange is interesting. Local guy has new for $1799, a bit high. I hadn't considered Orange before.

Played the Crate V30 a couple of weeks ago. Nice amp. It was a combo with a Tone Tubby. Great tone.

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming.

5. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

If you used your bassman for cleans you could get a Soldano Avebger for your overdrive. I haven't tried one but I have an old bassman and have considered running this kind of setup. The Avenger is only one channel but its overdrive is suppose to sound as good or even better than a SLO 100. Also you could look into a Budda Superdrive 30 they sell for $1599 at musictoyz.com and they sound incredible on both channels.

6. CrossHair

CrossHair Member

I'd be willing to give you a good deal on my Tonelab SE. I do like it but recently purchased a Budda amp. I'm not very good at selling and sending **** but maybe we can talk each other through it if you're interested.
    CrossHair

7. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

Roccaforte Custom 30 -- no channel switching, but very sweet clean and it LOVEs pedals! Try one. I was convinced that the FLEXI was for me, but when I tried the Flexi next to the Roccaforte, it was no contest (the FLEXI sounded great at loud volumes, and the Roccaforte sounded great at low and high volumes) -- I also think the Governors are a great choice to go with the Roccaforte.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

VHT make some killer amps...

The Flexi is very versatile - can do clean to mean effectively.

9. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

THe Budda looks interesting also!

Some great suggestions...

10. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Bogner Shiva head. Killer clean channel, very good dirt. My main amp and I love it, course I AM a class AB 6L6 or EL34 type guy. I also have a class A EL-84 amp, (VHT 45) and it is good for what it does, but just for all around classic rock, with the smooth shimmering clean and crunchy rhythm all in one amp, a Shiva is hard to beat IMHO. At the upper end of your price range used.

Wes

11. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Vox Valvetronix, the 60w version maybe? I have a 50ADVT and it's got great tones. The 60w version has more versatility though. Or get the Tonelab and use with a clean amp.

Maybe a Dr.Z? There are some models that can be had for under $1500, and they sound just wonderful, and with awesome clean tones. Next amp I buy will be a Dr.Z!!

12. FrogRick12

FrogRick12 Member

Koch Twintone II 50w combo

crystal cleans...does Keith and shreds....channel switching.....built like a tank......approx $1900 US

13. p.snail

p.snail Member

If you just want an overdrive amp, go with the Bad Cat Hot Cat or Bogner Shiva. If you want a great channel switcher the Bogner Shiva and the Soldano Lucky 13 come to mind as well. Everyone here is coo coo for Fuchs and Two Rock, but those even used will end up much higher than the $1500 mark. If you are on a budget the Peavey JSX is a killer amp as well.

14. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

I would recommend checking out Dabeck Amplifiers. David Smith of Dabeck Custom is an incredible, but under the radar, amp builder in Dallas TX. I own his custom 50 watt channel switching head and it is the best amp I have ever owned (I have owned Bogner, VHT, Blockhead, Tophat, Soldano, DRZ, Wizard, ..not too mention all of the other amps I have played). My amp can go from spanky bluesbreaker to JTM 45 crunch to over the top modified marshall glory, but with a bigger, fuller, TIGHTER bottom end. Truly an incredible builder. Do a search for Dabeck hear on the gearpage and you will see other raves about Dabeck's amps.
    Chubbywolf

15. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I ended up buying a VHT Pitbull 45 Combo from a fellow forumite. Hopefully this amp will compliment my Bassman. I'm thinking two amp set-up now for sure.

Can't wait to get it!

UJ..