Recommend me a new speaker for my 65' Deluxe Reverb reissue...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheGrooveking, May 17, 2005.

1. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue that I dig alot, I like it for a few reasons, great tone, really portable, not something exotic that draws attention at gigs - so I don't have to worry about losing something hard to replace. It has a tube rectifier, more sag, the kind I like.Now for the question, the amp came with a ceramic magnet Jensen, I like the tone, but what am I missing?

Have any of you tone monsters changed the speaker in your Deluxe Reverb reissue? To what and what was the difference in tone?

I know there is a mountain of threads out there for speakers in Deluxe's, but I more specifically would like the difference from the ceramic Jensen to other speakers.

Thanks in advance for any info.

TheGrooveking

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

It depends on what you are after...

The venerable C12N is a natural match for more headroom.

Weber Blue Dogs or Silver Bells are excellent more musical ALNICOs but they compress/distort sooner.

3. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Run for your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Do NOT start looking into the new eminence line(patriot /redcoat)
    you would then become ensnared in a twilite zone of 24 choices and a yea or neah opinion about each.........RUN..........!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I'l make it easy on you...

I reccomend the cannabis rex, private jack, wizzard, red ryder,govenor, texas heat, red white &blue,blue tick hound, swampthang, redd fang stonhedge, screamin eagle combo!
    Get a 12x12 cabinet and mix them, you'll love it!!!!
    (after you break them in)

RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUN< RUN< RUN< RUN< RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

12 x 12 combo!!!!! now yer talkin':dude

5. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I want a 2 12x12 Stack!!! :dude :D

6. calieng

calieng Member

The Reverend Alltone 1250 was a popular replacement choice if you can still find one somewhere.

The stock Jensen C12K is not that bad.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

You could try a more efficient ceramic ... maybe the Weber 12F150 (50 watt), Chicago, or any of several new Emminence (thinking Texas Heat, Cannabis Rex, maybe even Swamp thing.) Might get some extra volume, headroom over the Jensen you have now.

8. Shea

Shea Member

I really like the old C12N that I have in a Twin Reverb, but I've heard mixed reviews (at best) of the reissue C12Ns. Does anyone know whether Eminence makes a good sub for a C12N?

Shea

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Whoops. I meant to say, Weber California, not "Chicago".

10. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

I have a Weber C12N in my DR and it sounds dynamite. Seems to be a great match.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea,

love the ceramic Cali for those fat, stout fendery tones.

but alot of guys on the LP forum really dig Weber's Blue Dog, and a couple of other guys on the Fender forum seem to dig the Red Fang.

12. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I bought a new DRRI for 'cheap' a few years back. Mine had the Eminence speaker, and I've not heard that amp with the Jensen.

I thought the amp sounded pretty cool at store-friendly volumes. However, when I cranked the snot out of it in the basement, I thought it sounded sorta lame. The character was stiff and harsh, and it hated every dirtbox I threw at it (Klon, Fulldrive, et al).

I installed a Reverend Alltone speaker, EH 6V6's, and snipped the bright cap. Vastly improved. Smoother breakup, richer overtones, and the amp finally accommodated the usual suspect dirtboxes.

In between the Eminence and the Reverend was a Celestion Vintage 30. Pretty good foil EQ-wise for that amp's tone stack (V30 having slightly attenuated bass, slightly bumped mids), but was still a bit harsh in the highs.

I think the Reverend speakers are the best bang-for-the-buck ceramics I've heard. Tight bass, and yet friendly with dirt in the upper registers. Nice compromise. The Reverend speakers have been discontinued and re-introduced a couple of times. I hope they return for availability.

As a side note, I A/B'ed the EH and JJ's 6V6's in that amp, and preferred the tone of the EH tubes; sounded more like a "Deluxe" to me. I'm generally a fan of JJ's, and use them in several amps.

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

After trying a 67 Jensen.....Jensen RI C12N, C12K...Celestion G12H30, CL80...EVM-12L...Weber Cali, Blue Dog, Ceramic and Alnico, C12N 25 & 50 watt....I've settled on an Eminence Cannabis Rex...

Great with teles and strats...havn't tried hums yet...the highs are nice and articulate without the icepick...the lows are huge and tight...all in all a very well balanced speaker and the od tones....either from being cranked or pedals is creamy and smooth...this speaker just stays together and focused in my deluxe...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

Seegs,

You don't find the CR a bit dark with the Fender style amps?

B

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

Blueser,

Not at all...I find it smooths the painful unpleasant high end part but that there is still enough high end detail and it sits sooo nice in the mix with a tele or strat...

The CR is my favourite new speaker....I've got one in both of my Fender style amps...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I'm not normally a fan of Jensen speakers but the C12K that came stock in my DRRI was a very nice speaker (let it break in for a few months if you haven't already). I currently have a 30 watt Weber 12F150B in my DRRI and I like it a lot. Webers also require a long break-in period even if you have Ted do a bit of break-in before he ships.

17. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

This always the fear with the cr:

The people who say no, it's just smoother out number the it's dark crowd 3 to 1. Theres nothing in the frequency charts to indicate otherwise! in fact, i'm not even sure what it takes to tame the ice pick symdrom anymore, If you look at the frequency chart on the tonker . it's loaded with high freq response, yet eminence says it's good with a tele!

It's obvious theres always allot of factors involved and you don't know till you try it with your amp, your guitar, ect.(not to mention your ears!!!)

Perhaps the minority of folks who have found the CR dark are just needing more treble for there taste and gear situation.

In any event , eminence has made thes babys pretty affordable and that's what every bodys gotten excited about.
    It's an american company, so support them, buy american, and be a mad scientist!! experiment till you find your sound.

It's been said here by people much wiser than I ..........
    Just buy it!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> now , back to the shop and my 12x12 project!!!!!!!!!!!!:dude :RoCkIn

18. Armin Solo

Armin Solo Member

I have this Deluxe Reverb and I took out the stock Jensen and replaced it with a Texas Heat by Eminence.

It breaks up in the worst fashion and does not take ANY overdrive pedal. It sounds like a broken amp. What could the problem be?

I have not been into putting the Jensen back in.

Have any of you had this problem?

19. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    You may have not correctly tighten the speaker mounting screws/nuts. If you didn't evenly tighten them or overtighten them you can cause the speaker frame to twist/distort there by causing rubbing.

TheGrooveking

20. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I think it's a horrible speaker. Here's my post about it in a Peavey Classic 30:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=5165446&postcount=25