Recommend me a new wah (Fulltone, CAE, RMC4, Keeley, etc?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thetangmang, Dec 26, 2009.

1. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I'm using a v848 but the pot is getting scratchy and rather than fix it (I still may consider mellow-wahing it and having Keeley fix the pot as well) I wanted to hear what wah's TGP would recommend.

I'm currently looking at the Clyde Deluxe, CAE wah and Picture wah. And I might entertain Mellow-Wahing the v848.

I'm playing an AVRI 62 strat into a Rivera with a Fuzz Head and Mosferatu so I don't need fuzz friendly circuits.

I want to be able to get super crisp, clean wah sounds like in "Let's Get It On" and have the versatility to do Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers and Hendrix. Basically, sound great clean and dirty.

It doesn't have to be spot on with those criteria, it just has to sound awesome, and be able to get close. Let's hear what you guys have to say this time!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. fritferret

fritferret Member

im in love w/ the ernie ball wah. very wah, and sounds gret when set at any point in its weep.

3. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

I have a Cry Baby modified as per DIYGuitarist's site. Also replaced the inductor with a Whipple inductor.

Now it's a very smooth sounding wah which I used, incidentally, at a soul r&b jam a few weeks ago where we covered several songs from Marvin Gaye's What's Going On album.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm

Of all the changes I made to the wah circuit, I think all parts were actually important in smoothing out the stock circuit's character.

I also have a Fulltone wah that is great for rock but a little too bright for mellow blues, jazz and soul.

4. SpaceFlunky

SpaceFlunky Member

Look no further than the Wilson Wah line. I personally own a Tunable Zen Wah and it is a badass wah. I i had the money i would own atleast 3 of his models.

http://wilsoneffects.com/Wahpedals.html

5. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

6. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

Good to know. I'm definitely into the mellow blues and soul.

7. buddachile

buddachile Member

I ask my wife for a Wilson Rippah Q Wah for Xmas and guess what? I got it today. Mine has the 6 position rotary switch.

The wah sounds pretty awesome, is quite tweakable, is TB and sounds just great in front of my AM Sunface NKT275 high gain fuzz.

I'm not a wah expert, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. The only other wah I've owned is the Cry Baby 535. But I'm pretty stoked at what I'm hearing from the Rippah. It will be fun to record with it I'm sure.

8. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I want to hear more about the Area 51 and the Wilson stuff. I've heard such great things about the Area 51 and the option to get a drop in kit to bypass my crappy pot repair for a whole new wah feel is very attractive.

9. Funkmasta69

Funkmasta69 Member

The Ernie Ball Wah RULZ!!!

10. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

The Ernie Ball sounds super sweet and smooth- two very important traits. Any other opinions?

11. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

Do you have one? Did you build it/ How do you think it sounds?

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Email Kevin Wilson and order the Signature wah drop in kit for your Vox shell...you'll save a bundle and have a KILLER wah when you're done!

13. bseamus

bseamus Member

CAE MC-404 sounds great so far, haven't giged with it.

14. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

I love the CAE Wah and found the two different tones on it, and the boost very useful

15. 100JH

100JH Member

I have both a Vox Clyde and an Area 51 loaded. I really like them both but if I had to choose between the two I would get the Area 51 for its versatility/tweakability (plus the buffer). I use it mostly for Hendrix, SRV, Jimmy Page, Gilmour etc...not sure if that is the type of sounds which you are looking for, or not.

16. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

I thought I was the only master of funk. :cry:

good thing your name is spelled different :aok

17. Funkmasta69

Funkmasta69 Member

LOL! It seems that there are more thant 2 masters of Funk in TGP, BTW your nick is AWESOME ;)

18. Funkmasta69

Funkmasta69 Member

19. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Another vote for CAE

20. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

http://realmccoycustom.com/RMC2.htm