Recommend me a nice affordable semi hollow

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shredkratcher, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Shredkratcher

Shredkratcher Member

I'm looking for an affordable semi-hollow. Somewhere around $600 or so. Any one have any recommendations on a quality instrument that will not break the bank?

Specifically is there anyone here that knows about Eastwood guitars? This one looks interesting...

[​IMG]

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Hamer Echotone. Chinese-made 335 goodness for $400 with hardshell.

Completely gig-worthy guitar for unbelievable dollars.

3. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

ibanez AS73 - i got mine flawless, used, for $200 (i think they are around $330 new now). you might want to replace pickups for something that is suited to your flavor, but there's nothing wrong with them out of the box. fit/finish is great!

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've got one I'm getting ready to sell. Michael Kelly 335 clone, Korean made, ebony board, fancy MOP inlays. This is an early one, when they were still doing Gibson copies; identical to a Gibson except for the headstock and board. Burst with a nice, subtle ribbon flame top and back.

Going on the emporium soon, but contact me for more info if interested.

/rick

5. Shredkratcher

Shredkratcher Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I didn't know Hamer was making an affordable semi-hollow. What I was really Jonesing for was one of their Newport models but its out of my price range at this point. May have to check out the Echotone.

Keep the replies coming. I'd still like to hear about these Eastwood guitars if anyone knows anything about them (or whatever else may be out there).

6. mignano

mignano Member

if you can muster a few more bucks, i've seen Heritage 535's go on eBay for $900 or so... can't beat that for the money, and it may be worth investing a little more in.

7. Occam

Occam Member

Those new Ibanez's are really nice for the money...you'll be hardpressed finding more bang for the buck.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

I've seen the upper range Eastwood archtops, but none of those newer models I have been seeing advertise. The archtops are very nice imho.

10. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

The older model, correct shape Agile 335 style guitars garner raves from their owners. The new Reverend Club King has my interest piqued. The Ibanez guitars are great for the money. A buddy of mine recently picked up a set neck Washburn H32 for under $250. Amazing guitar for the money. The Michaee Kelly, Tradition and Hamer Echotone recommendations are spot on. Nice guitars for cheap. I've played a few Tursers that were in the same ballpark that were pretty darn nice too.

11. Brick

Brick Member

I've had this ESP PC 2 for over a year ($500). I changed the pickups to custom wound HighOrders ($110). The construction is flawless and it feels and sounds great.

[​IMG]

rawk!

12. aquadog

aquadog Member

I see hamer artist mahogany's go for 600 quite often. I dont think you could find a better semi hollow than that at that price (assuming you want humbuckers)

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

Doesn't Schlecter make a nice semi hollow in that range?

14. Shredkratcher

Shredkratcher Member

Ouch CWY that hurts. I just sold off a Heritage Eagle Archtop because it was feeding back too much (well actually I needed some cash too). I'm hoping to use some of the money I got from the sale of that to go towards a semi hollow which I'm really hoping is going to give me more headroom than the archtop did. I'm thinking a semi hollow may give me more of a rock/jazz tone as well rather than the straight up jazz tone of the Heritage I had. But your probably right, a 535 is probably a sweet guitar and if I can find one at a good price I may consider.

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. Tomorrow I go shopping!

15. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Any Eastman I have seen were in the 2k category.

16. Shredkratcher

Shredkratcher Member

looks like some of you may be confusing Eastwood with Eastman. Easy mistake though...

Eastwoods are radical '60 knockoffs
    http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

17. VCuomo

VCuomo Gold Supporting Member

How about a used Yamaha SA2000? You should be able to find a used one in good to excellent condition for $700 - $900 or so.

18. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Don't forget the Epi Elitist line. These are great quality Japanese built guitars using fine woods and US-Gibson pickups. Fit and finish is better than most Gibsons. They will, however, set you back a bit more than your budget unless you get real lucky.
    Also, if you can find one, the Epi thinlines made between 82 and 84 are superb Japanese made guitars. I have a Riviera and it stands up well against most any thinline out there. Although I did swap the pickups out. These usually sell for around $600 but you have to be patient. They don't show up often. Oh, and you have to like chunky necks (which are my favorite).
    Finally, regarding Eastwood guitars, try one. Mike Robinson's a great guy to deal with and I understand he'll take it back no questions asked if you don't like it. I believe they're well-built Korean-made guitars and I've heard mostly good things about them. Especially the reissues of sixties oddballs like Teiscos, Supros, Airlines, etc. All of which are superior to the originals. Which, admittedly, aint sayin' much. Basically they look just like the originals but play like any good quality, modern offshore-built instrument.

19. Pasteur

Pasteur Member

I would take a long, hard look at Reverend guitars. They may not have that classy ES-335 style, but if you're looking for a semi-hollow guitar that will sound good, will play extremely well and be well-built, Reverend would be my first choice. The electronics are the same as the ones found on their (now extinct) USA series.

Alternatively, you could try a used Yamaha AEX 520 (with mini-humbuckers; I have the AEX 502 with P-90 pickups and it's a very nice guitar). Every once in a while, you can find one that's dirt cheap on Ebay. Old Yamaha SA models are also worth considering.

It's a funny thing about Yamaha guitars: they're usually well-built, classy-looking, reasonably priced and they sound decent, but they don't receive a lot of attention. Maybe that's what happens when a company produces motorcycles, snowmobiles, sound systems, horns, drums, guitars, etc...

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Eastwood.

Pasteur

20. Marcello

Marcello Member