Recommend me a pickup set for a Flying V

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BWOTW, Apr 23, 2016.

1. BWOTW

BWOTW Member

I have a Flying V project and soon I'll have to put some pickups on it. I like the stock set, but right now it isn't quite cutting it: a bit too muddy and very middy cleans. What pickups work well on a V?

What I'm looking for:

• A humbucker set available with nickel covers, I want the classic look for this
    • I have other Gibson with PAF style pickups, I want this to be hotter than PAF
    • They have to be somewhat well balanced: I like a very clear, bright and defined neck tone (hate mud in the neck) and, at the same time, a fat, thick bridge tone
    • As a reference; I love the sound of the Super2/SuperDistortion set from Dimarzio, if it looked like a regular PAF set, I'd go for it right now
    • I'm open to Duncan, Gibson, Dimarzio... Preferably not expensive boutique builders
    I'll be using it with a couple of CTS 500K audio pots for the volumes, and possibly that's it, I think I'll bypass the tone circuit.

For further reference, I play through a Marshall JMP 2203, rythm tone usually straight up, boost and drive pedals for leads. Rock, punk, hard rock music... not metal. I've a couple of SGs (Duncan 59's and Antiquities), a LP with Dimarzio 36th PAFs and a LP Junior with a P90. I want this to be a bit hotter, but not worlds apart either from the others.

Any recommendations?

2. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and Alnico II Pro neck, I think this set checks all your boxes. They're Alnico 2 magnet pickups, so they're cousins of PAF pickups, but higher output and more aggressive than a PAF. They come in nickel or gold tone covers, and this is a well balanced set

DISCLAIMER: I'm selling a set of these in the Emporium.

Mincer and BWOTW like this.
  3. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

You've just described a set of EMG 66/57 to a tee. Don't own them myself, but I plan to install them on my next project... yet to decide if it'll be another V or a LP.

[​IMG]

FYI, I own a V myself and have some GFS Mean 90s installed. They sound ~ 1/3 PAF, 2/3 P90, but a bit more ballsy than any vintage spec wind. Maybe that's the sound you're after? Can thoroughly recommend them, had them installed for five years, sounds flipping brilliant, and they're not going anywhere. I play everything from rockabilly to metal - they cover all bases.

BWOTW likes this.
  4. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

You might have to order them with covers, but how about a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or Alnico II Pro neck, and a Duncan Custom bridge?

I used a PGn and Custom in a Strat for years as my go to rock guitar.

Great set of pickups for rock and blues.

Not a big fan of the Custom Custom tho. Not enough treble or cutting edge.

If you can find a set of used PRS Dragons or Dragon II's you might like those too. The Dragon II comes with covers.

BWOTW likes this.
  5. BWOTW

BWOTW Member

Thanks, the EMGs won't do 'cos I'm really set on a traditional looking nickel-plated cover, I want this guitar to look as much as possible as a late 60's V.

The Mean 90's sound interesting though, I'll research 'em!

Thanks for the suggestions! The Custom looks like it'll fit the bill nicely, I just never played one before. But on paper, it should do everything I want it to!

As far as the neck, how would you compare the Alnico II and the PG to the Jazz and Antiquity neck? (these are the ones I'm most familiar with. I prefer the Ant., but the Jazz has always sounded good to my ears)

And I've no experience whatsoever with PRS pickups, I'll check'em out!

6. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Between the Jazz and the Alnico II, I much prefer the Alnico II.

The model name is actually the APH1. The APH2 is the Slash version of the same pickup and it's a little clearer and some say more paf like. Both are excellent.

The Jazz is exactly the same pickup as the APH1 but with an alnico 5 magnet instead of alnico 2.

The Antiquity is great too. Alnico 2 of course. Maybe a little warmer?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I'd put a Duncan JB and '59 neck in there.

rummy likes this.
  8. handtrix

handtrix Member

Based on your criteria, perhaps a T-Top clone of some type in the bridge. If you like those tones, then an A3 type in the neck. You could keep your Tone, and cover a lot of ground; from Blues to Rock to Metal-with-a-pedal.

9. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

email wolfe at wolfetone pickups. he made a set of covered humbuckers for my hamer vee that are amazing. i think it was a marshallhead bridge and a dr vintage neck.

Darkburst likes this.
  10. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

Duncan '59 in the neck and a Custom in the bridge with an A8 magnet swap.

11. Mincer

Mincer Member

Both available with covers:
    a Jazz
    a Custom
    Both are not muddy at all (very open). If the Custom has too many mids, change the magnet to an Alnico V, and you get a Custom5, which is as scoopy as you would ever want.