Recommend me a pickup truck please...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by doc, May 23, 2019.

1. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

Mid-size trucks don’t get significantly better mileage than full size.
    The Ford F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost would suit you perfectly. My 2012 gets 20mpg on the highway running 70. It pulls a 9000lb trailer without effort.

2. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I bought an '06 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 speed new, great truck, loved driving it. Sold it in 2012 and got a new 2012 Ram 1500. But two months ago I went back to a '19 Tacoma.
    I enjoyed the Ram, it had an excellent ride and very powerful 5.7 My wife got ride of her higher mileage '13 Durango ST and now drives the Ram. I should say it's also been very reliable.
    There were several reasons I went back to Tacoma. The main reason was our new 8 month old German Shepherd. There is SO much more back seat room in the Tacoma because of the way the rear seat back folds down. It forms a nice platform for the dog. We have two other smaller dogs and all three can ride in back and be comfortable. In the Ram the seat cushions folded up against the back bulkhead which drastically reduced the area for the dogs, or cargo, and it left an uneven floor surface. In many ways the Tacoma makes great use of space and has a lot of thoughtful features.
    In the Tacoma you sit lower and closer to the road. The Ram is big and can be intimidating when you're next to a tractor trailer in a curve on a narrow 4 lane local road. I find the Tacoma more relaxing to drive. also got a lower tail gate making it easier to access cargo.
    Average MPG for Ram was about 17, the Tacoma 21. Two areas where I think the Ram edges out the Tacoma is less road noise on the highway and a more plush ride.

Slaphappy likes this.
  3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I remember having to park one of those. Full load in bed, no power steering. Popeye truck, fo sure.

Anyway, pickups are stupidly expensive. If someone gives you one, take good care of it but don't go shopping for one unless you need one desperately. The cost just cannot IMO be justified.

semore butts and Bobbybigbucks like this.
  4. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

These threads are always interesting. Full of old opinions etc. OP didn't say used or new. Assume used...nothing new is easy to service by yourself.
    All three major brands have made a nice full size truck for years. Ram has won the most awards recently I think, gets better mileage even with a hemi than stated, and for some years now have had a flat floor that folds out in the back of crewcab. Ford's Ecoboost had lots of problems for years but has improved.
    Toyota full size is very dated now and trails the other three.
    Full size I'd lean towards GM...been solid for a long time.

Newer mid size I'd lean GM for best all around, Toyota for best off road. Older I'd lean Tacoma, but the "old" Ford ranger...especially the last few years of production...was a very reliable trouble free and not bad to work on truck....,V6 for towing Most reviews have the new ranger lagging behind GM and Toyota.

5. doc

doc Member

I’m thinking used. Thanks for the input so far.

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Bought a GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax Turbo Diesel to pull our 5th wheel camper. Smoothest, quietest, most powerful, most comfortable, truck I've ever owned or driven. I've had great luck with several Chevys I've owned also. But this GMC is a truly outstanding truck. Nothing against Fords or Dodge or other makes. They make great trucks too. I would try another brand but I've just had really good luck and great service with the GM trucks I've had. So I have had no need to try anything else. It's hard to argue with success. But I love this new GMC. Works for me.

7. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

Having owned both, if you're looking at Tacomas you are much better off with a gen2 than a current gen3. Its a much more satisfying drive, there are millions out there, and the older 4.0 V6 has less "tech" which might translate to better longevity. Also, don't get hooked on a TRD (Toyota Racing Decal). The TRD is a much stiffer ride and can be unpleasant at times. TRD package doesn't give you any performance increase and, at least where the gen3's are concerned, are actually heavier and slower by a tic than their SR5 counterparts.

First chance I get, I'm kicking my gen3 to the curb for a new Ranger. Forced induction for the win when you live at high elevation.

8. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I live in pickup country. Our local repair shops see more Dodges than Fords or Chevy/GMC. They are Leary of Fords with turbos but from what I’m told over beer at the muni, either Ford or Chevy with a V8 would be a fine choice.

9. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Get what I got thread.....

bluwoodsman and Sidney Vicious like this.
  10. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

Actually, my post is the very antithesis of this statement. No soup for you.

11. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

My '14 F150 Supercrew fits the bill. Plenty of power, gas mileage is around 17 but could be better with less right foot. Mine is the 5.0,
    I would steer clear of the ecoboost. If you want better gas mileage, buy a '15 or newer, aluminum body and an 8 speed transmission that will get you 20+ mpg.

12. mdog114

mdog114 Member

13. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

The new Silverado looks like the best option to me

Signed,
    a 15-year Dodge Ram Owner

14. eicca

eicca Member

Nobody said Tundra yet??

Take any Tundra, 07 and up, park it next to any other half-ton pickup out there and look underneath. The Tundras are so overbuilt it’s ridiculous. -ly awesome!

Toyota gave some to some ranchers in Oklahoma and they were pushing them well beyond warranty limits and the trucks didn’t miss a beat. The Tundra will do 3/4-ton workloads easy. It’s a sleeper workhorse.

Gas mileage blows but it’s called the reliability tax.

Jemplayer and LHanson like this.
  15. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

I’ve been driving Toyota Tundras since 2003. I drove a 2003 until a couple of years ago. Now I drive a 2017. The 2003 is still driven daily by my son. It’s approaching 300K miles. Both of them are 4WD. Both have hauled gear to gigs, in the beds and in trailers. Where I live I drive off road every day (I have to in order to get between the house and the gate).

I very much enjoyed the 2003, but the 2017 is an unqualified delight. It’s my daily driver and has been for over 2 years. It’s the plainest trim level with 4WD and even so it’s well equipped and comfortable.

When they come to get my carcass there’ll be a Tundra in the driveway.

16. killer blues

killer blues Member

Great reply. Chevys are the best for towing. That is their niche in the pickup market. They are easy to work on too.

17. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Every manufacturer makes the truck you described (other than good mileage because they all kind of suck there). Love my 2016 Tacoma but I wanted a mid-size as opposed to a full size so I could garage it more easily.

18. scorched

scorched Member

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma. 208k miles. Not a penny in repairs.

Had to drive through 4 feet of flood waters in Houston a couple weeks ago and it didn't even faze the Taco.

Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

19. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

I got my first pick up truck in 1984. At the time a band mate's father owned a Chevy dealership so I bought all my vehicles from them for many years and they sold me Chevy's at $100 over invoice.

that first truck had a 305 under the hood and was underpowered for towing even a ski boat. I couldn't wait to trade it in on a truck with a 350.

Not too long after I did the trade for a Silverado with a 350 they came out with the extended cab trucks. So I drove the regular cab 350 for a few years and then got an extended cab Z71.

The 95 Z71 half ton was an awesome truck, perhaps the best truck I've ever owned up to now. It met all my
    needs and then some. I used it for daily driving and duck hunting and everything in between. The only reason I sold it was because I purchased a longer, heavier travel trailer in 2003 and needed a 3/4 ton truck for better towing.

So I bought a Chevy 2500HD with 1 ton suspension from a friend who'd just bought a house, had a new baby, and a 45 mile one way commute. The gas was eating him up since the 2500HD had an 8.1 Ltr engine.
    I sold my Z71 and drove "The Beast" (which is what my son and I called the 2500) up until last Sept.

With close to 200,000 miles on it, The Beast needed new motor and transmission mounts, some A/C work, new brakes and rotors, and a lot of TLC. So I gave it to my son, who did all the needed repairs and clean up, and I purchased a Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4 crew cab.

This is my first Ford truck and I am really liking it. So far it's been a great truck. Mine is a Lariat so the trim inside is pretty comfy. It also came with the full sized Ranch Hand front and rear bumpers and matching N-Fab nerf rails.

All of my trucks over the years have had a flat lid topper on the back. My current flat lid is an A.R.E.
    which can be purchased with a key fob lock if preferred.
    I also put a "Bed Rug" in the bed, which is my first carpeted bed cover, having had the heavy plastic ones in the past. The bed liner is always a good option, no matter which one you get. The "bed Rug" works great for hauling gear since things don't slide around much.

Chevy or Ford = great trucks. Choose your power needs and choose your comfort features then go shopping. Like someone else said, Stay away from small diesel rigs.
    If you go diesel, get the big engine. Personally I have no use for a half ton truck as long as I own a travel trailer. Otherwise a 1500 series truck would be fine.

I found my latest truck on line after a few days of shopping and researching trim levels. Then contacted the seller and went to check it out, drive it, and negotiate the deal.
    If you can find your desired truck with the factory towing package that will get you better suspension and the factory wiring harness, which is always good.

Last edited: May 25, 2019