Recommend me a power supply please.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wesc, Feb 1, 2012.

1. wesc

wesc Member

I have been using the 1 spot for about 4 years now without any problems for the most part. I am needing more power spots and was going to just add another daisy chain or 1 spot. I was looking into the fuel tank jr, but i have a nova delay and it needs 300ma and i think the fuel tank is 100 or 125 or something like that. It would be a plus to have a 12v so i can run the nova at 12v even though it works fine on 9v. I dont want anything too huge or expensive. I am also looking into the VL iso 5 since it has a 12v 300ma plug. I am planning on just chaining my 4 overdrives one chain, since they have no problems that way, and using one isolated for the nova and one isolated for my dunlop trem. Then i can use another 9v for my tuner and tb looper. The ine spot works now, but i need one more plug, and i do get some noise from the nova and trem when i have a few ods on. I think the regular fuel tank may be an option as well.

2. wesc

wesc Member

Also, about how many mAs does an average od pedal use? I do have a Maxon Overdrive Pro which has a voltage amplifier that bump 9v to 18v so Im guessing that would use a bit more than normal eh?

3. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

4. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

In my case i have a lot of pedals, different kinds, different voltage requirements, amp requirements, some are homebrew, some handwired lovelies, some regular ole cheap stuff too. The only way i seem to stay safe and have enough is to go for the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus. It is expensive, hurts like heck to buy one, I just bought my second, as i am seriously making that board#2 this year. It has been a great investment, I read each pedal requirement carefully, consult my Voodoo Lab manual and hook up accordingly, and never worry about it again. You can daisy off the Voodoo Lab outlets as well and i usually need to daisy a couple to get em all in. Dirt boxes normally take the least juice and the internal voltage changes usually don't mean any extra juice needed.

Iso-5 looks just as good and some interesting features for one so small, can't really comment on Trex, but they have a good reputation.

5. 3th3r

3th3r Member

May not meet all you specs exactly, but it might help... the Fuel Tank Chameleon

6. wesc

wesc Member

Would the pp2+ work with the nova? TC rates the nova running at 300mA and startup at 400mA.

7. wesc

wesc Member

Also, does anyone know if the chameleon is 250mA or 500mA outputs. The site says 250 and then later say it has 3 isolated power section each offering 500mA. Im guessing this means 2x 9v with a shared ground, 12v & 18v shared, and 12ac isolated.

8. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

yes the pp2 will work with the nova.

9. wesc

wesc Member

Im leaning toward the chameleon right now. I need at least two isolated 9v and one isolated 12v. Having an 18v would also be nice. The chameleon has all of this and is a bit cheaper than the pp2+

10. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

You can also plug your nova into the courtesy outlet in the back of the PP2

11. wesc

wesc Member

Yeah, if I'm spending 150 on a power supply, I kind of want it all work off one ps. Maybe I'm just being difficult.

12. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The Novas will work off of the PP2+. Just use #5 and/or 6 tap and switch the DIP switch away from normal. The 300mA requirement for the Novas are actually in reference to when you are using a wallwart to ensure the right amount of mA. If I recall correctly, the Novas actually use slightly above 200mA. The only Nova that requires more mA is the Nova Drive @ 380mA.

To the OP, the ISO-5 should take care of your powering needs. Bear in mind that the 12V tap w/ 300mA share the 300mA w/ the 9V adjacent to it. They are isolated together, but if you plug in the Nova there, don't plug in another pedal to the 9V tap.

13. propower

propower Member

TC Nova Delay...... uses 260mA. Mine hums and has adds extra noise when in the "on" while being powered using PP2 with out 5 set to unregulated. PP2 in this setting under this load has 2.5V of ripple on the output with the output varying between 14.0V and 10.5V (120HZ). The Nova Delay (mine at least) does not like this. Using the supplied wall wart all issues are gone. Setting the PP2 to 9V is better but under this load you can still see the regulator going in and out of drop out. Plus 9V is marginal for this pedal.

I also had tracking problems with the Harmony GXT and PP2, harmonies had trouble locking in to my voice. With supplied wall wart all issues gone.

I am troubleshooting this exact issue right now and have some mods in mind that will void your warranty but fix the problem. All in all I would seriously suggest the PP Digital for 200mA+ kinds of pedals or something else.......

14. Manicstarseed

Manicstarseed Member

I use the stock 300ma adapter to run the repeater and the reverb. The wart gets a little warm, but I have had no issues.

15. angrytroll

angrytroll Member

boss makes a good one.