Recommend me a replacement for Kluson style tuners on a Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stratzrus, Sep 8, 2019.

1. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have a Gibson ES-333 that has Gibson branded Kluson tuners like the one pictured below.

[​IMG]

I'd like to replace them with locking tuners that are drop in replacements that won't require additional drilling but are also smooth in operation and stable.

I'm not particularly concerned about maintaining the stock look so would the Gotoh SD90-MG-T Magnum Lock Vintage Style Locking Tuners be a good choice or are there better options?

[​IMG]

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    TubeStack likes this.
  2. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Supporting Member

Gotoh SD90 MG-T

Drop-in replacement for Klusons. Same aesthetic, but nice build quality and smooth operation. Thumbwheel locking tuners, and only about a gram heavier than factory machines each, so far lighter than most locking tuners. More traditional aesthetic than the Kluson Rotomatic lockers due to their smaller form factor and more traditional buttons.

Bob Pollock and stratzrus like this.
  3. Carbohydrates

Followup: I know you said you're not concerned with keeping the stock look, but they do rather a nice job at that, aside from the thumbwheel itself of course.

[​IMG]

4. Tritone

Tritone Member

You could also consider the Kluson Revolution locking tuners. They're very similar, but they have a higher ratio (1:19) compared to the Gotohs (1:15).

5. Carbohydrates

Yup, also great stuff. They're a little larger and heavier than the Gotohs and look less traditional due to the screw-on buttons, but if form factor isn't a concern (or if you prefer their slightly modernized look), they are every bit as viable.

Also worth noting that Hipshots can drop in to any guitar thanks to their clever UMP system, though it will be a wildly different aesthetic.

6. sbrollins76

sbrollins76 Supporting Member

Kluson Revolution are great. Very smooth and the high gear ratio is great for fine-tuning.

7. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

The OP's pic shows a Gibson Schaller style tuner with screw in busings. In order for a Kluson style tuner to be a drop in replacement, the OP will need a set of press in conversion bushings.

8. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

The Gotoh's are great.

9. JWhite

JWhite Member

I believe the Klusons Revolution come in 8mm or 10mm and different screw configurations.

Best bet to just look them up.
    https://www.kluson.com/

10. Otter351

Otter351 Member

I pretty much always buy Gotoh, but the Hipshot plate system looks pretty good if you want modern style tuners but don't want to drill new holes

11. Carbohydrates

Good catch. This looks like a job for Kluson Revolutions after all.

12. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I swapped out the standard Kluson tuners on one of my LP's for the Kluson Revolution locking tuners.

They make two types. One has the traditional push-in collar and the other has the hex style screw-in collar, so be aware when purchasing them.

My LP with 7-32 gauged strings stays in tune beautifully with these. The tuners are a bit more beefy where the shaft comes out of the tuner box and attaches to the keystone button, then the Gotoh tuners which otherwise look very similar.

13. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

I like the klusons that have the slot screw top best, because the buttons look nicer to me:

Dannyz likes this.