Recommend me a second amp to compliment my Mark IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I've been looking into a second amp for a while, something to compliment my Mark IV. Today I was offered a really good deal on a Stiletto which I'm strongly considering, but I'm looking for opinions on other amps as a second head.

I'd be running them through my Mesa standard 4x12, and I'm looking for a thick, fat lead tone (I know my IV does exactly that, and extremely well, but perhaps a different flavour?) and a big rhythm tone. Cleans would be real nice, but I do quite like the Mark IV cleans so...

I've considered the Shiva and the XTC 101B too, so hit me with any suggestions.

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Budda Superdrive. ANy of them would be a perfect compliment to the MKIV. They have a more organic vintage style tone that can get modern if you want it to.

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I went with a marshall silver jubilee. I would look for a marshall style amp. have you thought about a Splawn or Cameron?

4. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Definitely thought about Cameron. Every time I hear one of them it blows me away. Add that to the list up there.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

Marshall JCM 800

6. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Oh man an XTC and a IV would sound great together.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Custom Lead
    Divided By 13 FTR 37
    Bad Cat Lynx

8. gwayne

gwayne Member

+1000. I have an older Mark-IIB and a 101B w/Germino 4-12 - they're a great complement to each other.

9. Zorran

Zorran Member

splawn pro mod. i have a mark iv and out of all the amps ive played, i reckon that would compliment the mark IV in every way. you got your mesa flavour, and your marshall flavour then :) sorted.

10. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I play a CAA OD-100 and the other guitarist in my band plays a Mark IV... They're two great tastes that taste great together! There's not much in common between the two, but they compliment each other really well. Well, they're both using 6L6s (5881s in the OD), so I guess that puts them in the same ballpark... Basically they both stand out and shine without stepping on each others' toes.

11. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Definitely the cameron bro. Ive played every modded marshall you can think of and Marks amps are just killer.:RoCkIn

12. The Captain

The Captain Member

A nice complement would be a Class A, EL#$ amp, to contrast to the A/B 6L6 Mesa.

Bad Cat Hot CAt 30 would fit the bill, as would the Stiletto.

13. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Depends on your budget...
    But if you want a different flavor, stay with Boogie but try a Stiletto Ace (EL34's) or Lone Star Special (EL84's). While the IV has the oversaturated capability: the SA has the Brit tones, while the LSS is in the Vox AC30 area. Both have fixed bias, fans, 2-channels, FX loops and tons of flexibility. And they're not so rare that you can't get them serviced out of town.

14. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Splawn Quickrod, definitely...I'd take one any day over Shivas, Ecstasies, Camerons, etc...