• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recommend me a speaker for a Boogie MK1 RI!

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Put my MK1 RI into a combo cab, but need a speaker. I already have another cab with a Telonics TSNEO12, so am looking for something a bit different.

Im mainly a clean, edge of breakup player. Roots music, americana. Teles, 335s, low gain stuff.

I want it sound closer to a Twin Reverb....

Thanks!

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I actually already went through the painful deliberation of an EVM12L.....except I was going to go for the WGS version. I just couldn't handle the added weight!

conrad79

OEM (with an original MKI/Super 60) would be an altec, as others have said a EV 12L would be another classic choice.

A mesa MC-90 would be a good choice and lighter on the pocketbook than the EVM, as would the WGS option also mentioned above.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
OEM (with an original MKI/Super 60) would be an altec, as others have said a EV 12L would be another classic choice.

A mesa MC-90 would be a good choice and lighter on the pocketbook than the EVM, as would the WGS option also mentioned above.
It's a common speaker for that amp since it was the factory default but it's horribly boring and flat. Better options for a Mark I reissue are the EVM, the Altec and Vintage 30's.

slavenoid

Silver Supporting Member
I have an early 70s MKI 60/100 head and I have been trying different speakers and combinations. Single EVM12 sounds good as does the JBL 12, but I have two Altec 417s in a 2 x 12 that is a step above in my opinion. I have a second pair of these 16 ohm Altecs if you might be interested. I am working on a pair of small 1 x 10 cabs with EVM10s as my next experiment.

71strat

Great Plains Audio were all originally former Altec Employees, and when Altec went out of business the employees of Altec formed GPA, bought all of the Patents/Manufacturing Equipment and became a Warranty Service for Altec owners.

They STILL make the Altec 417H which is 100 watt by 100db, at least. IMHO I like it way better than the EV, but it wont take as many watts, and its also Alnico vs Ceramic. They also still make the 418H x 421A The 417H/418H are Alnico. 421 is Ceramic.

Ive used 2 x Altec 418Hs with a 69 Dual Showman for 44 years.

Showman was modded in 2010 to Blackface/ODS mod.

ProfRhino

Mine came with a Jensen Jet Tornado.
At first I was skeptical, but it suits the Mk I perfectly, even more in the cleaner spectrum, it has more shimmer than e.g. a 12L, in a good way.
Weighs like nothing, is rather affordable and if such things matter to you, I've heard John Mayer has them in his bottom cabs, too, paired with Golds in the upper cabs. :dunno
I have a Blackhawk HP (SRO Alnico clone) in a cab paired with a regular Blackhawk (Gold clone, spot on), guess I'll put the HP in the Mk I as I use it more for those dark, compact medium gain leads, and mayerize that 212 with the Tornado.
Pretty sure this will become a stunning clean cab ...
(disclaimer - I neither liked Mayers girlie pop acoustic material, nor his SRV style stuff, but unexpectedly I absolutely dig what he does with Dead & Co now)
Everything else has already been said - EV & Altec are the classic choices, C90 is :nuts.

ymmv,
Rhino

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
I have a king snake which is a recent mark 1 reissue of sorts. It comes with a "Fillmore" 100 watt speaker that I think sounds nice. You might want to call up Mesa and see if they sell them individually. It's smaller than an EV (though I haven't weighed it) but it's not a neo.

lemonpaul59

Put my MK1 RI into a combo cab, but need a speaker. I already have another cab with a Telonics TSNEO12, so am looking for something a bit different.

Im mainly a clean, edge of breakup player. Roots music, americana. Teles, 335s, low gain stuff.

I want it sound closer to a Twin Reverb....

Thanks!
EVM12 if weight is not an issue.

Neo Creamback if weight is an issue.

If 100 watts? Go with the EVM12. That's a lot of power for a single speaker combo. Not many 12" speakers are rated for such wattage. On the other hand, will you be playing at Woodstock and require all 100 watts in your lifetime?

I think Carlos' original Mark I had Altec Lansing speakers.

Pablomago

I have a vintage Altec in mine. It came with an EVM 12L. I think I like the EV a hair better, but that Altec really sounds good in the tweed mode. I wish I could still lift that amp!

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
I owned an original Super 60 (Mark I) from '77 till '92. I tried it through various speakers and cabinets. The best it ever sounded was through EVM12s, either in an open or closed back cabinet. That said I would have loved to hear it with sole old Altecs...

Phletch

OEM (with an original MKI/Super 60) would be an altec
That's a common misconception, but the Altec was a popular option, but not standard OEM. Unless otherwise specified, 60W only models came stock with the Cerwin Vega G12, and switchable 100W models came with a proprietary Eminence speaker. The Altec 417-8H Series II was an (at the time) $85 dollar option.

Phletch

For you Mesa would have recommended the JBL K-120 which was another popular option they offered on the originals. Since those are no longer made, you may want to check into an available clone or something that approximates the K (or D) 120.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I have found that I did not like the EVM or the Black Shadow 90 speakers, either in the Mk III Boogie that I used to own or in the Mk I RI that I have owned for some years now. After trying a number of other speakers I finally found and I put a Scumback H75, 100 watt speaker in my Mk I RI combo and I LOVE it ! Sounds great both clean and overdriven.

I also use that Scumback, at times, to play my '68 Fender Showman head through or my Fargen Retro Classic (JTM45 circuit based) and they also sound great through that H75. I highly recommend it for the Boogie Mk I RI.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I am ideally looking for something LIGHT WEIGHT. As much as I would love an EVM or Altec speaker, adding an additional 16 lbs to my already absurdly heavy amp would be pretty tough....I still have to gig this thing!

Looking at options like the Eminence Texas Heat or Lil Texas, or Tonker or Tonkerlite.

Any experience with those, or other lightweight options? Am I losing depth of tone by looking at a Neo speaker?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom