Recommend me a sweet low-medium gain OD to use with a VOX amp

Purple_Plexi

I'm looking for an overdrive to use with a VOX amp, but it would be nice if it'll also sound good with a Marshall. I play humbuckers.

I'm considering:

1. Crowther Hotcake would probably be the #1 option. I heard it goes up to fuzz (which isn't a bad thing), does it do low to medium gain great as well? And is www.crowtheraudio.net the place to get one? The site looks abandoned.

2. Analogman Prince of Tone. There's gotta be something about all the hype and I heard it works well with any amp.

3. Little Green Wonder. I've read a lot of comments saying TS pedals don't go well with VOX type amps, and others saying the LGW sounds awesome into a VOX. I've actually tried one in a shop a while back and loved it, but the amp I was using wasn't a VOX. I guess the new One Control Persian Green Screamer is the same thing?

4. J. Rockett The Dude. Not sure why it's in this list and how it'll work with a VOX, but I watched ThatPedalShow's episode on D-style pedals and thought it sounded awesome.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome!

earthmud

Gold Supporting Member
Proanalog pedals work great with a vox circuit. Dual drive, dirt royale, and power driver all sound great. Only issue is most are no longer in production.

71strat

Roger Mayer Concord+ Treble Booster.

Don't be fooled by the name. It can do a nice clean-mid boost drive, but can also do over the top. Also is just more than a Treble Booster.

Vox amps love these Treble Boosters, and this 1 gives much more versatility than usual, and has both 1 x Hardwired, and 2 Buffered outputs. So you also get a killer buffer if you even need it.

Very versatile.

The Concorde + departs from the clones and uses a unique approach of combining a low noise class A silicon drive circuit with passive tone shaping to drive a fully optimised germanium treble booster. This results in giving the simple circuit new life and explores its sonic boundaries to the maximum. It is now possible to add drive and distortion with EQ before the treble booster section .It is also possible to set the silicon drive section to drive the treble booster section much harder than any guitar pickup could ever do without any added distortion but with the added feature or having EQ prior to the treble booster. So if you want the qualities of soft germanium type distortion overload characteristics that this circuit will produce or you want to explore the more radical germanium distortion possibilities the Concorde+ will oblige. The front panels controls of Drive, Tone and Output control the many tone variations and brings the humble treble booster forward to the future.

Guitar Effects Pedals by Roger Mayer - Concorde
www.roger-mayer.co.uk/concorde.htm

Last edited:

YETI

My fave with my AC15 is a Lovepedal amp11. It's a pretty transparent so it should play well with a Marshall too

Purple_Plexi

Roger Mayer Concord+ Treble Booster.
There's no price on the website, but I assume it matches it's size? :)

Currently unavailable on Lovepedal's website, but I'll keep that in mind.

Oh, how could I forget the TGP favorite :) There's a crazy waiting list for them like for the KOT, right? Where do I sign up if I decide to do so?

Hungry Robot
Wouldn't have thought of that, I'll go check it out...

jurfin

It's been discussed to death, but, the Timmy is magical with a Vox, and built to accompany a Marshall. This seems like the obvious choice for you. That being said, you can't go wrong with a Hotcake either...

You should probably get them both!

71strat

The Mayer aint cheap.

Remember it has BOTH, Germanium, and Silicon Circuits, Drive, Output, and EQ Section, 2 Buffers, and 1 x Hardwired outputs.

Also.

PedalsPlus Effects WarehouseRoger Mayer Vision Concord ...
www.pedalspluseffectswarehouse.com/Roger_Mayer_Vision_Concord..

CONTROLS: DRIVE: The operational window has been carefully adjusted to set the gain of the silicon 1st stage to drive the treble booster section with clean signal levels that are higher than those obtained from the guitars pickups. When the drive is increased from it's minimum setting the 1st stage will begin to distort and you now are in the new territory of having smooth distortion followed by EQ and then the treble booster section. This area of operation is very useful as the germanium output stage is driven harder. So it is possible to set the DRIVE control to produce clean treble booster action with enhanced drive and EQ or have a combination both silicon and germanium distortion with inter stage EQ. This unique set up gives brand new life and tone variation.

TONE: This controls the inter stage passive equalisation between the 1st stage Silicon Drive section and the final Germanium treble booster section. It has been carefully voiced to give a very musical and useful tool when setting up the final desired tone.

OUTPUT: This controls the final output level, which has enough output level capability to overdrive the 1st stage of the amplifier being used.

Last edited:

witafro2

Go for a Timmy. you can get them from retailers like humbucker music like I did. I got a blem version so it was like 10 dollars cheaper for a scratch. I also would recommend the analogman prince of tone. It's my favorite OD behind the timmy.

Bravodub

There's no price on the website, but I assume it matches it's size? :)

Currently unavailable on Lovepedal's website, but I'll keep that in mind.

Oh, how could I forget the TGP favorite :) There's a crazy waiting list for them like for the KOT, right? Where do I sign up if I decide to do so?

Wouldn't have thought of that, I'll go check it out...
Guitar Sanctuary is taking preorders on their black/red exclusive Timmy that should be shipping end of April

Purple_Plexi

Go for a Timmy. you can get them from retailers like humbucker music like I did. I got a blem version so it was like 10 dollars cheaper for a scratch. I also would recommend the analogman prince of tone. It's my favorite OD behind the timmy.
I'm not in the US, and while a lot of the pedals are available locally I'd need international shipping for something rare like the Timmy. I see Humbucker Music does offer it, but no Timmy's in stock.
I bought mine used, but Crowther has been around since the 70's, so I would buy with confidence. You can either go through a dealer for the Timmy or call Paul and set it up at 615-896-8555. Hope that helps!
It's just that at the bottom of the site it says "Copyright 2011" and most of the images are dead.
I wonder if there's a dealer with international shipping and Timmy's in stock? :)

TheGuildedAge

I don't have an ac30 anymore, but I used a hotcake, rat, and treble boost with it forever. I never felt a need to change from those three.

Hotcake is a great pedal.

Trending Topics