Recommend me an amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by diminishedlogic, Jul 10, 2005.

1. The tones I'm going for are this.

A fat singing tone a la henderson and lane.
    I definatly do not want a "fuzzy tone" I want to be able to comp with distortion for once and be able to hear any large chord voicings.

A very clean bop tone with some personality like wes's.

A slightly distorted clean tone, A la robben ford.

An immersed distorted tone like larry carlton/scott lerner.

2. oh yeah, and I'd prefer it if the price was less than 2k. Perhaps a custom amp builder can do this?

3. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Member

Check out M60 or 3100 on www.elmwood.se

EDIT: might not fit under the 2K bill...

4. thanks! will do! a little pricey though. any other suggestions?

5. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

A used Two Rock ( K+M ) Custom

Dan

6. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Contact Rob Pierce at www.valvetechamps.com -- he's a custom builder with two base models -- the Valvetech and the Hayseed, only the Valvetech is featured on his web site though. A PtP custom built Hayseed (clone of a '63 AC-30) costs less than $1000. I know he can do variations on his amps, e.g., 4x6V6 or 2xEL34 -- hard to beat for value for a custom hand made amp.

7. yeah, the reviews on HC look kinda sketch on that custom builder... I might go to 2.5k.... But I really gotta have some sort of direction here.

8. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    There are certainly other custom builders out there but take the reviews on H-C for what they're worth. They were discussed in this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?threadid=84188&highlight=hayseed

I'd put more stock in the opinions expressed here. In any event, it's your money, but I sold my $3k Vox AC30HW after I went to Rob's and check the Hayseed out myself. I didn't have to sell the HW but the build quality of the Hayseed is just as good as the HW as far as I can tell and it was more the tone I was looking for. It's your money though -- most people here who own an amp built by Rob have commented on what an incredible bargain they are for what you get.

9. Another great point. I'll definatly check the amps out. thanks! Any other suggestions?

10. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I just got this one. Its the original Valvetech (VAC)

Big bang for buck. Love it:dude

[​IMG]

11. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

12. Spentmusic

Spentmusic Member

Hi dimishedlogic,

Please check out our website for DST Amplifiers. Our tone goes for more headroom, non-pre amp hi gain sounds, lots of overdrive available on the output tubes with very high reserve power for chunking into the string. Lots of crunch when driven hard.

Jeff Swanson/Bob Dettorre
    DST Engineering
    www.dst-engineering.com
    978 578 0532

13. scottl

scottl Member

Why don't you give me a buzz? We can figure something out. Shoot me an email with your phone # on second thought....

14. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Definately talk to Scott.....your description has ODS SLX written all over it!

You need to figure out your power needs and speaker preferences (combo/head/cab size/open back, etc). It would also be useful to know what guitar(s) you prefer.

15. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Egnater.com

2 or 3 modules give you 4-6 "channels".

If I didn't already own pre and post-Rocktron Eggs, I'd have me some of the new 'uns. Jeff R.