Recommend me an amp!

D

diminishedlogic

The tones I'm going for are this.

A fat singing tone a la henderson and lane.
I definatly do not want a "fuzzy tone" I want to be able to comp with distortion for once and be able to hear any large chord voicings.

A very clean bop tone with some personality like wes's.

A slightly distorted clean tone, A la robben ford.

An immersed distorted tone like larry carlton/scott lerner.

D

diminishedlogic

oh yeah, and I'd prefer it if the price was less than 2k. Perhaps a custom amp builder can do this?

D

diminishedlogic

thanks! will do! a little pricey though. any other suggestions?

AshlandBump

Contact Rob Pierce at www.valvetechamps.com -- he's a custom builder with two base models -- the Valvetech and the Hayseed, only the Valvetech is featured on his web site though. A PtP custom built Hayseed (clone of a '63 AC-30) costs less than $1000. I know he can do variations on his amps, e.g., 4x6V6 or 2xEL34 -- hard to beat for value for a custom hand made amp.

D

diminishedlogic

yeah, the reviews on HC look kinda sketch on that custom builder... I might go to 2.5k.... But I really gotta have some sort of direction here.

AshlandBump

There are certainly other custom builders out there but take the reviews on H-C for what they're worth. They were discussed in this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/84188&highlight=hayseed

I'd put more stock in the opinions expressed here. In any event, it's your money, but I sold my $3k Vox AC30HW after I went to Rob's and check the Hayseed out myself. I didn't have to sell the HW but the build quality of the Hayseed is just as good as the HW as far as I can tell and it was more the tone I was looking for. It's your money though -- most people here who own an amp built by Rob have commented on what an incredible bargain they are for what you get.

D

diminishedlogic

Another great point. I'll definatly check the amps out. thanks! Any other suggestions?

Axemeister

Originally posted by mainstreetexile
Contact Rob Pierce at www.valvetechamps.com -- he's a custom builder with two base models -- the Valvetech and the Hayseed, only the Valvetech is featured on his web site though. A PtP custom built Hayseed (clone of a '63 AC-30) costs less than $1000. I know he can do variations on his amps, e.g., 4x6V6 or 2xEL34 -- hard to beat for value for a custom hand made amp.
I just got this one. Its the original Valvetech (VAC)

Big bang for buck. Love it:dude

Spentmusic

Hi dimishedlogic,

Please check out our website for DST Amplifiers. Our tone goes for more headroom, non-pre amp hi gain sounds, lots of overdrive available on the output tubes with very high reserve power for chunking into the string. Lots of crunch when driven hard.

Jeff Swanson/Bob Dettorre
DST Engineering
www.dst-engineering.com
978 578 0532

scottl

Originally posted by diminishedlogic
The tones I'm going for are this.

A fat singing tone a la henderson and lane.
I definatly do not want a "fuzzy tone" I want to be able to comp with distortion for once and be able to hear any large chord voicings.

A very clean bop tone with some personality like wes's.

A slightly distorted clean tone, A la robben ford.

An immersed distorted tone like larry carlton/scott lerner.
Why don't you give me a buzz? We can figure something out. Shoot me an email with your phone # on second thought....

fullerplast

Definately talk to Scott.....your description has ODS SLX written all over it!

You need to figure out your power needs and speaker preferences (combo/head/cab size/open back, etc). It would also be useful to know what guitar(s) you prefer.

Norjef

Egnater.com

2 or 3 modules give you 4-6 "channels".

If I didn't already own pre and post-Rocktron Eggs, I'd have me some of the new 'uns. Jeff R.

Trending Topics