Recommend me an Overdrive Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Sep 8, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

Ok so I love the clean tone of my Les Paul into an AC15....

What I need is an overdrive which maintains the punchy bell like clean tone without no crazy mushiness/mid hump/weird high end fizz.

Right now the box of Rock is great for me...goes from a very transparent low gain into a Marshall distortion...

The Fulldrive II isnt doing this for me...it sounds mushy flat and has that weird high end thing....I only use it to stack into the Box of Rock....

I need a med/high gain overdrive that perfectly maintains the charater of my original tone! What can you guys recommend????

2. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I recommend the Maxon SD-9.

3. fazen

fazen Member

Barber Tone Pump EQ. Two overdrives in one pedal with a push/pull for symm/asymm clipping on the second drive. Very transparent.

4. impactblue

impactblue Member

Oooooo saucey..I'll check it out..thanks mate :)

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

There are SO many types, styles, and makes out now - it can be overwhelming. I use a Rat style pedal for my med./high gain tones. I like the Rat because it doesn't have that "Mid-hump" thing going on. Don't get me wrong - I like Tube Screamers too - but the Rat has more clarity to it - maybe even a little scooped in the mids. I would check out the BYOC Mighty Mouse - it's based on the Rat - but it has a 6-way Rotary switch to give you some different distortion sounds.

Here's a link if you want to check it out. For me - if I want to check out a new style of pedal - I almost always check out BYOC - it's a cheap alternative and they all (so far) sound really good!

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/mouse.html

6. dave s

dave s Member

I'm playing a strat into an AC15. What's working for me in terms of OD/gain pedals is the Lovepedal Eternity and the Crunch Box, which might be similar to your current BOR pedal. Maybe not.

The Eternity is the best medium OD that I've had in front of any VOX amp so far.

dave

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Maybe a Gaspedal Carb?

8. impactblue

impactblue Member

What do you guys think of the JDrive for a transparent overdrive?? I'm deciding I might use the J-drive for a transparent standard overdrive sound, and stack it with the small fry at different settings for different tonal options?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

The Jdrive can do it by itself with the separate boost.

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I've been really digging my new SolidGold FX High Octane. Lifts you in the mix and has a very nice small tweed amp type grind without any of flabbyness or weird overtones that pedals like that usually get. Very sweet high end with no harshness too.

11. impactblue

impactblue Member

You mean get different tonal options??

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Hi Bluey

Either an Analogman mod'ed Maxon OD-9 (mod'ed to a TS-808) or a Keeley mod'ed Ibanez TS-808 tubescreamer. Both very similar pedals and the best OD pedals I've heard after the FD2. :eek:

http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  13. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hey man! Thanks!

So how you liking your Fulldrive???

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

for an AC15 type amp, my fave OD's for that are an Eternity, and a Jetter GSP or G...3 amazing overdrives

15. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

It sounds like you may want to consider a booster as well. Look into the Z. Vex Super Duper 2 in 1...or either the Xotic RC or AC booster. They are pretty transparent gain boosters that push your amp into overdrive while still retaining the bell like whistles coming from your amp.

16. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I still like it a lot mate but usually use the Compcut side of the FD2. Gives great Robert Cray and Chili Peppers type tones with a Strat. The Analogman Maxon TS-808 is my main vintage OD pedal though. I prefer its tone and it has more gain than the FD2. The Maxon works better as a booster too IMHO. Turns your distortion pedals like a Crunchbox into a real screamer.

18. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Greg at SGFX worked WONDERS on my Reissue DOD 250. The clarity is impeccable (surpassing even my original grey face), and he added some mods (clipping and boost, I believe) for tonal variety, turning a rock solid OD into an amazing piece. -E