Recommend me simpletwo or three knob amps?

el supermanny

Just curious what is out there in the "simple" department. By simple I mean one channel, tone knob, volume. If it has gain knob or switchable reverb, even better, but honestly simple is best.

I know the Dr. Z Karmen Ghia, but after that I don't know of any? It also needs to be "affordable." By affordable I mean $1200 or less. It can be a little more if it's a ready to rock combo amp.

Let me know. Keyword again is "simple," Otherwise the Mesa Boogie Trans Atlantic Series looks awesome, but that's honestly WAY more knobs and options than I normally like to deal with (I don't tinker or tweak, I just want to plug in and play).

FXPedal.com

The Marshall 1974x has volume and tone on channel 1 and same on channel 2 with tremolo speed and intensity knobs as well. It's only 18 watts which may not be loud enough, but it's powered by EL 84 so it's pedal friendly.

They're expensive new but you may be able to pick one off used. Marshall also makes a 20 Lead and Bass head with just volume and tone on 2 channels. They may be cheaper used. I have a 1974x and have played through the other - they're great amps.

SteelerFan88

I have owned PLENTY of 2-3 knob amps over the years . I actually prefer the "simple & pure" method of amplification method for a long time now and my Jaguar Jr. 18w is the best I have ever heard.....BAR NONE ! The only downside is that they are VERY pricey animals. I adore mine to death :)

zenas

Tweed Deluxe and I did the 18 watt Marshall thing first just not my thing at all.

Flogger59

I have a TA15. Simplest amp to operate, ever. All knobs at noon, TB on one side, Tweed on the other.

Rick51

Fender 5E3 tweed Deluxe. Three knobs: volume channel 1, volume channel 2, tone. You have a normal channel and a bright channel.

This is one of greatest amps of all time. Gorgeous fat clean tones, vicious overdrive, and a touch-sensitive sweet spot a mile wide in between.

Lots of boutique builders make them. Mine is a Mission Amps kit. Bruce will sell one ready to play within your budget.

http://www.missionamps.com/5E3kit.shtml

scott

Silver Supporting Member
The greer thunderbolt 30 has three knobs and sounds great.
He makes a few three knobbers. Highly under rated.

teleblaster

Tweed deluxe
Tweed Princeton
Gibson GA-20
Swart STR
Allen brown Sugar
I think less knobs is better, I always hated amps with a big row of knobs.

JeffHaddad

Silver Supporting Member
The winfield cyclone is 15 watts and has vol, tone, cut, and master v. That's 4, but the master is on a push-pull so it doesn't count. It's close to your price range new, I think there is one on eBay now. Mine sounds great.

Trending Topics