Recommend me some cable and plugs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Black_Label, May 5, 2016.

1. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I need to make some soldered cables to connect my rack system together. Can I get some recommendations on cable and plugs?

- low capacitance
    - small plugs (most will need to be straight > right angle)
    - durable
    - fairly low cost

Thanks!

2. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of everything Lava makes. The SOAR kit is one that gets good results even when gigged from guys I've talked to about it. I actually started using their solders tightrope kits exclusively a couple years ago and have never had a failure. Love them. I'm all about the low profile plugs too.

3. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

If you aren't afraid of building your own cables: Mogami 2524 or 2319 makes great sonic cable, coupled with Switchcraft pancakes, right angles, and 380's for plugs. I've never went back to solderless or any other cable manufacturers.

teleking36 likes this.
  4. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

Another vote for Mogami 2524. Handles well, solders well, etc. Connectors from Neutrik, Amphenol, Switchcraft depending on what you're after.

5. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I haven't found anything I like better than best-tronics/BTPA. Lower capacitance than mogami or canare at half the price.

http://btpa.com/

6. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I like using Mogami 2319 for pedalboard cables. Smaller diameter and more flexible than 2524, so it works really well in tight spaces where you need to pack pedals onto a board. I use 2524 for instrument cables or larger patch cables where I'm running additional effects next to my board, i.e. Boss CE-1, Fulltone TTE, etc.

FWIW I jumped on the solderless train when it first left the station. Even with good technique, I've found that with enough plugging/unplugging, the risk of problems increases. I switched over to soldered sometime in late 2014 and I will never go back to solderless. If you've got a strong soldering game, you can bang out soldered cables in close to the same time as solderless, and you have a much more reliable connection.

7. fevzay

fevzay Member

Add one more for Mogami W2524. I have had great results with it over the years. I have some W2319 that I haven't tried yet. I'm sure it's good too for tight spaces.

I'm using black/gold G&H connectors. Love them.