• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Recommend me some proper Jazz bass tuning keys?

waygorked

I'm building my first bass, and as a guitar player, I'm clueless on decent hardware. I'm starting with Precision Guitar Kits bones. PGK makes top-shelf 6 string kits, I expect the J bass to be no different. I've gone with Fralin pickups and electronics, and a high mass Badass bridge. I'm hoping I can think about tuning keys only once, and never have to devote any cognitive space to the decision ever again. What should I go with?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm hoping I can think about tuning keys only once, and never have to devote any cognitive space to the decision ever again. What should I go with?
you want lightweight keys to better balance on a strap

my vote for a classic F-style is something big and open gear; the gotoh res-o-lites are top shelf, like the GBR640 or GB528

Jon Moody

also worth chkg out, graphtech tuners

+1. The GraphTech Ratio tuners are really sweet. I got a set for my '74 Jazz (had a couple of the OG ones strip/seize) and it's fantastic set.

The Hipshot Ultralites are also a solid choice.

To the OP, whichever you choose, be prepared to wait. From what I've been hearing from all my contacts (and customers) in MI, everyone is waiting on materials or manpower to be able to keep up with the mountain of orders they've been receiving since this all started.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom