Recommend me some stage monitors

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by sbrett, Apr 30, 2015.

1. sbrett

sbrett Member

I'm starting a small production company to fill in the dates when my band isn't playing. We all run in-ears, so the issue is I usually have to rent monitors when we run sound for other bands/events. I'd like to get something that could be used as mains in the event our primary mains fail (PRX635s) or if we want to do an acoustic show or small corporate event/wedding without hauling out the subs.

Current PA is 2 JBL PRX635s over 2 JBL PRX618s-XLF

What I'm looking at:
    QSC KW122 or K12
    JBL SRX812P or SRX815P
    JBL PRX712
    Presonus 312AI

Definitely want powered. $700-$1200 each. Something that matches well with the 618s in case we have to use them as mains. I'm kind of leaning towards the new SRXs because I'm sure at some point we'll upgrade the whole PA to that series, but I haven't been able to hear them in person yet.

2. jim683

jim683 Member

Yamaha DXR and DSR are really good speakers, I own the DXR 15's and use them for drum monitors and mains on smaller shows. I also own the QSC K12 and they are good as well.

I've used both for monitors and mains and like them both. The K12s need subs to be their best, the DXR 15's have lower bass response, which you would expect in 15" vs 12" speakers.

3. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Sell the 635's and get 715's for tops and 712's for monitors... The 735's get harsh when pushed and they're too big to get above the audiences heads. The 715's sound much more natural and run a lot cooler!!!

FWIW, I'm using 718's, 715's, and 712's

4. FuzzFox

FuzzFox Member

I snagged a pair of K12's when I bought my Axe-FX to use for onstage sound/monitoring (they turned out to be WAY overkill, but that's beside the point).

I've since moved away from having any onstage sound, going direct into the PA but I kept the K12's to use as monitors/supplementary sound.

Recently I put together my own PA and kept the pair of K12's I had after a bit of testing because they work perfectly with my mains as additional/backup speakers and having moved into a few acoustic shows and running sound for a few friends for their acoustic gigs I've been extremely pleased with them.

My main rig:
    2x KW153 - Mains
    2x KW181 - Subs
    4x K12 - Monitors/Backup Mains

Acoustic rig:
    Small Room - 1x K12 - Main
    Medium Room - 2x K12 - Main

Additionally, on a bit of a lark (again, testing) I picked up a few of those Alto TS110A's, a 10" 800w 2-way speaker to try out as monitors (we have several bigger outdoor shows coming up and I wanted to reserve the K12's to use as mains as well to supplement the KW153's) and I have to admit, those Alto's are damn near perfect monitors.

Good size, clear, loud, light, easy to deal with and cheap to replace if anything goes wrong.
    I'm planning on trying a couple of them out at an acoustic gig soon, and my expectations are actually pretty high.

If I were strictly buying some powered speakers for monitors again, I'd go straight to the Altos and pick up either the 10's, or if I wanted a little more focused sound and slightly more volume I'd look at the 12's.

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

If you lean toward JBLs, make sure you check out the angle they sit at in monitor orientation. I used to use a bunch of PRX612M's, and they sit at a shallow angle that can be less than ideal for stages that aren't deep. Blasting your shins, hard to hear.

6. sbrett

sbrett Member

Quick update. Managed to snag a pair of Presonus 312AIs for such a ridiculous price that I couldn't pass it up.

Haven't heard these in person nor is there much on the internet as far as real world reviews, but what I have found has been positive. I'm hoping the lack of reviews is due to the relatively expensive nature of the speakers compared to offerings from QSC, JBL, etc. Seems like just not that many people have bought them.

Will keep everyone posted once I've had a chance to put them through their paces.

7. Crowder

Can you share your source for these?

8. sbrett

sbrett Member

They were demo floor models I happened to run across online, so probably not an everyday haggle price.

9. Crowder

I often wonder about those deals. I have ordered some items that were marked "Demo" but appeared brand new. I think it might just be a work-around for minimum advertised pricing policies. Thanks anyway!

10. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Get the Presonus RM32AI & CS18AI instead of the StudioLive 32.4.2AI

11. sbrett

sbrett Member

We're still running the legacy 16.4.2. Our plan is to upgrade to the RM32AI at some point.

12. texasdave

texasdave Member

I was debating a DXR setup (was trying not spend DSR money if I could help it) and A/B'd DXR12 vs K12. After hearing them, I could no longer justify the DXRs and started looking for K12s (wound up with a pr of used KW153s.)